Can anyone ID this homebuilt?

Old April 28th 04, 02:42 AM
JLB

Default Can anyone ID this homebuilt?

I have a slideshow screen saver where you can easily add your own pictures.

Every time I find a picture on the internet that strikes my fancy, I save it
so that it will show up as part of the slide show. One of my favorite
topics is light aircraft, since I do have a PP-ASEL.

There is one aircraft picture, however, that I have had for several years
but I can not remember the name of the plane.

Can anyone ID it from the description? It is a homebuilt open cockpit low
wing monoplane with a 5 cylinder radial engine, tube and fabric construction
(or wood and fabric?). At least I remember it as a low wing monoplane,
since the picture is a close up of the engine and nose, and you can see just
enough to tell that the wings are not mounted. As I also recall, it has two
tandem seats.

--
Jim
N8EE

to email directly, send to my call sign at arrl dot net

Old April 28th 04, 03:22 AM
Richard Lamb

JLB wrote:

[...]

There are several to pick from that general description.

Post the pic somewhere and give us the address.

I'm certain somebody here will ID it quickly.

Richard

Old April 28th 04, 03:47 PM
JLB

A closer examination of the picture leads me to think that it may be a
single seat and not a tandem after all.

I have no way of posting the picture anywhere for public viewing, but if
anyone wants I can email a copy.

Old April 28th 04, 03:48 PM
Richard Lamb

It's a Fly Baby!

With the funny looking radial on the nose.

Ron W would know more about that one.

Richard
Old April 29th 04, 03:48 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:48:29 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

It's a Fly Baby!

With the funny looking radial on the nose.

Ron W would know more about that one.

Without seeing the picture in question it could be Jack Hereford's Fly
Baby, with his homebuilt HCI radial engine on it:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/pix/HCI.jpg

According to a letter he sent Pete in 1997, the airplane had an empty
weight around 506 lbs...that's 140 or so pounds lighter than the average
Fly Baby. Truss ribs, 3/32" ply (vs. 1/8"), mechanical brakes, and he says
the radial was 30 lbs lighter than an A-65.

Ron Wanttaja
Old April 29th 04, 12:43 PM
JLB

Yes, I think that is it!

The picture I have is a close up of the engine, but you can tell that the
wings are not mounted.

Thanks!

Old April 29th 04, 03:15 PM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:43:52 -0400, "JLB" wrote:

Yes, I think that is it!

The picture I have is a close up of the engine, but you can tell that the
wings are not mounted.

Here's the home page on the HCI engine mounted to the Fly Baby:

http://hciaviation.com/prod-r180-a.shtml

Ron Wanttaja
Old April 29th 04, 08:01 PM
JLB

Thanks, Ron.

This picture appears to be a cropped version of the picture I have. In mine
you can see the wind screen and the edge around the cockpit, plus part of
the fuselage.

The mystery is solved!