Contact approach question

Old January 22nd 05, 10:10 AM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

I don't see anything there that prohibits you from cancelling IFR when you
have sufficient visibility and cloud clearance to operate under VFR.

Nope. But if you can operate under VFR an instrument letdown wouldn't be
necessary.

True, provided you cancel, or receive a clearance for a contact or visual
approach. Otherwise you must fly the IAP regardless of how good the weather
might be (VMC, not VFR).

Old January 22nd 05, 10:12 AM

Newps wrote:

Paul Tomblin wrote:

You
see, I didn't know if when you can see the runway and everything between
you and it, you can use a contact approach and/or cancel and land VFR
regardless of whether the tower is reporting IFR visibilities.

No you cannot. If the field is IFR you must land under IFR, you may not
cancel. At a towered airport there's really no reason to cancel. You
may not get a contact approach either as that requires a mile vis. The
instrument approach merely puts you in a position to see the runway. At
some airports, the one I work at is one, we get conditions due to local
terrain where one half the airport is 0/0. The other half is clear and
a million. Legally you need an instrument approach to land. However
there's no reason to fly an extra 10-20 miles after receipt of said
clearance before landing. Once you have the runway in sight you proceed
visually to your runway. Very simple.

Not unless you cancel, or receive an amended clearance for a visual or contact
approach.

Old January 22nd 05, 10:18 AM

Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:41:36 -0800, Ron Garret
wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

My source is 121.651.

Why would you use an airline regulation for a general aviation
discussion on a general aviation newsgroup?

Because I was confused. Make that 91.175.

"... when an instrument letdown to a civil airport is necessary, each
person operating an aircraft ... shall use a standard instrument
approach procedure ..."

I suppose this is somewhat open to interpretation, but personally, I
wouldn't want to be standing in front of the NTSB board trying to make
the case that chopping power at 3000 feet over the airport and landing
is "using a standard instrument approach procedure."

rg

Probably true.

But the issue was with the other wording, i. e., "when an instrument
letdown...is necessary".

I think some folks were saying that if the airport was in sight, an
"instrument letdown" is not necessary, even if ATC cannot approve a
visual or contact approach.

Hm, sounds pretty dubious to me. The very fact that you need an IFR
clearance to land seems to me to be de facto evidence that an instrument
letdown is "necessary". But be that as it may, 91.173 says:

"No person may operate an aircraft in controlled airspace under IFR
unless that person has --

(a) Filed an IFR flight plan; and

(b) Received an appropriate ATC clearance."

and 91.123 says:

"When an ATC clearance has been obtained, no pilot in command may
deviate from that clearance unless an amended clearance is obtained, an
emergency exists, or the deviation is in response to a traffic alert and
collision avoidance system resolution advisory."

So if the tower clears you for the VOR-A approach you'd better fly the
VOR-A approach even if you can see the runway throughout the whole
procedure turn.

rg

Right. When on an IFR flight plan an instrument letdown (arcane language,
goes to show how old some of this stuff is) is necessary because that is the
clearance you have received from ATC. ATC can offer a visual and often does,
whether permitting, but that is their only tool to attempt to improve traffic
flow under VMC, and the pilot can decline, thus retaining the requirment to
fly the full approach.

Old January 22nd 05, 12:45 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

I'd say it should read "any short-cut without a revised clearance or a
cancellation is a legal no-no."

But, ATC is not authorized to issue an initial or revised clearance to
short-cut any required segment of an instrument approach procedure except
for
radar vectors provided in accordance with 7110.65P, 5-9-1.

If in VMC the pilot can cancel IFR and discontinue the SIAP. If conditions
permit a contact approach the pilot can request one, receive a revised
clearance, and discontinue the SIAP.

Old January 22nd 05, 12:49 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message ...

True, provided you cancel, or receive a clearance for a contact or visual
approach. Otherwise you must fly the IAP regardless of how good the
weather
might be (VMC, not VFR).

A visual approach is not an option when an instrument letdown is necessary.

Old January 22nd 05, 01:34 PM
Matt Whiting

Ron Garret wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:41:36 -0800, Ron Garret
wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

I agree. However, almost always I call the runway in sight and the
response is "cleared for the visual." Then we're all happy as well as
legal.

However, this might not be possible in the situation that started this
thread.

Matt