Metric measuring tool source?

Old April 24th 04, 10:35 PM
DL152279546231

Default Metric measuring tool source?

Anyone know of a good source for metric measuring tools suitable for building a
sheet metal airplane such as Zenith's 601XL? Planning to check Sears or
possibly Walmart. I figure I need a steel tape measure and ruler, and possibly
a metric square with level assuming one with metric is sold here...
Old April 25th 04, 12:03 AM
Rich S.

"DL152279546231" wrote in message
Anyone know of a good source for metric measuring tools suitable for

building a
sheet metal airplane such as Zenith's 601XL? Planning to check Sears or
possibly Walmart. I figure I need a steel tape measure and ruler, and

possibly
a metric square with level assuming one with metric is sold here...

Suggest you most emphatically DO NOT buy your measuring tools at Wal-Mart,
unless they are of known name-brand quality. I have an aluminum meter stick
from the Wal which is, indeed, one meter long. But the millimeter marks are
off by up to as much as 2 mm in the middle. It appears to have been
photographically reproduced with a skewed lens.

Rich S.

Old April 25th 04, 12:22 AM
Robert Schieck

DL152279546231 wrote:

Anyone know of a good source for metric measuring tools suitable for building a
sheet metal airplane such as Zenith's 601XL? Planning to check Sears or
possibly Walmart. I figure I need a steel tape measure and ruler, and possibly
a metric square with level assuming one with metric is sold here...

Try:

www.princessauto.com

they are located in Canada but will ship anywhere.

hth

Rob

Old April 25th 04, 07:25 AM
VideoFlyer

Found a steel tape at Menard's with both English and Metric scale.
Old April 26th 04, 02:03 AM
DL152279546231

I am gonna call Zenith in the morning, I know they sell a metric tape measure
but since a steel ruler was not listed I ASSUMED they did not sell one. Another
thing they don't list on-line is the small accordian thing used to mark off the
distance between rivets, I did order that... guess I held back on what I
thought was an expensive tape measure because I thought if I don't build a
Zenith, where else would I ever use a METRIC tape measure?? & yes I would have
bought Walmart's metric ruler if I had not read the negative post here, it
looked handy
Old April 26th 04, 03:18 AM
Rich S.

"DL152279546231" wrote in message
. . . & yes I would have bought Walmart's metric ruler if I had not
read the negative post here, it looked handy

Just to be more specific, the ruler to which I refer is ~36-1/4" long (920
mm) and has the Popular Mechanics ä logo lithograph. I wrote both Wal-Mart
and Popular Mechanics magazine about the lousy quality, but never received
even a "screw you, Charlie" out of either of them.

Rich S.