What is it? - winkle.jpg (1/1) [84K]

Old May 30th 14, 08:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

Default What is it? - winkle.jpg (1/1) [84K]

I'm sure it will be obvious when someone tells me but I can't for the life of
me identify this aircraft being landed by Eric Brown on a Royal Navy carrier.
Will someone please put me out of my misery?

The photograph is a grab from a forthcoming TV programme about Brown (BBC2
this Sunday if you're in the UK). Details of the programme (complete with
some film clips) are at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b045pbq2

The great man seems on fine form but I'm tempted to strangle whoever is
responsible for that background music.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winkle.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	68269
Old May 30th 14, 08:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Syke[_2_]

On 30/05/2014 20:18, Netko wrote:
I'm sure it will be obvious when someone tells me but I can't for the life of
me identify this aircraft being landed by Eric Brown on a Royal Navy carrier.
Will someone please put me out of my misery?

The photograph is a grab from a forthcoming TV programme about Brown (BBC2
this Sunday if you're in the UK). Details of the programme (complete with
some film clips) are at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b045pbq2

The great man seems on fine form but I'm tempted to strangle whoever is
responsible for that background music.

P-39 Airacobra.

Regards

Syke

Old May 30th 14, 08:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

On Fri, 30 May 2014 20:24:41 +0100, Syke wrote
(in article ):

P-39 Airacobra.

Thanks. I was put off the scent becasue I've never heard of the RN ever
showing interest in the P-39, far less trying it out on a carrier.

Then again, it's Eric Brown we're talking about and he seems to have tried
out just about everything on a carrier.

Old May 30th 14, 10:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay[_2_]

Netko wrote in
:

On Fri, 30 May 2014 20:24:41 +0100, Syke wrote
(in article ):

P-39 Airacobra.

Thanks. I was put off the scent becasue I've never heard of the RN
ever showing interest in the P-39, far less trying it out on a
carrier.

Then again, it's Eric Brown we're talking about and he seems to have
tried out just about everything on a carrier.

P-39 AH574, which was passed to the Royal Navy and used for
experimental work, including the first carrier landing
by a tricycle undercarriage aircraft on 4 April 1945
on HMS Pretoria Castle, scrapped March 1946.

Brown, Captain Eric. Wings on My Sleeve.
London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2006. ISBN 0-297-84565-9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AH574
Old May 31st 14, 09:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mike Mackenzie

Netko wrote (in part):

On Fri, 30 May 2014 20:24:41 +0100, Syke wrote
(in article ):

P-39 Airacobra.

Thanks. I was put off the scent becasue I've never heard of the RN ever
showing interest in the P-39, far less trying it out on a carrier.

Then again, it's Eric Brown we're talking about and he seems to have tried
out just about everything on a carrier.

In your BBC link he is called Captain Winkle Brown, and appears to be
in RAF uniform. Is this the Eric Brown you refer to?

Presumably his alleged rank is a BBC error.

--
Mike Mackenzie (AVCOM Services)
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA
Old May 31st 14, 11:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ramsman

On 31/05/2014 09:52, Mike Mackenzie wrote:
Netko wrote (in part):

On Fri, 30 May 2014 20:24:41 +0100, Syke wrote
(in article ):

P-39 Airacobra.

Thanks. I was put off the scent becasue I've never heard of the RN ever
showing interest in the P-39, far less trying it out on a carrier.

Then again, it's Eric Brown we're talking about and he seems to have tried
out just about everything on a carrier.

In your BBC link he is called Captain Winkle Brown, and appears to be
in RAF uniform. Is this the Eric Brown you refer to?

Presumably his alleged rank is a BBC error.

Eric Brown is indeed an RN captain.
He might be wearing RAF uniform in the photo because he was a member of
the Edinburgh University Air Squadron before he joined the Royal Naval
Volunteer Reserve.

The worst thing about the site is where it refers to him as an "infamous
RAF pilot".

I'm looking forward to the programme and wondering how many errors it
will contain.
--
Peter
Old May 31st 14, 07:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
Netko wrote:

I'm sure it will be obvious when someone tells me but I can't for the life of
me identify this aircraft being landed by Eric Brown on a Royal Navy carrier.
Will someone please put me out of my misery?

The photograph is a grab from a forthcoming TV programme about Brown (BBC2
this Sunday if you're in the UK). Details of the programme (complete with
some film clips) are at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b045pbq2

The great man seems on fine form but I'm tempted to strangle whoever is
responsible for that background music.
[Image]

Bell P-39 (or P-400) Airacobra.