Saab Viggen, pt 4 - Saab Viggen 35.jpg (1/1)

Old August 16th 08, 02:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Mitchell Holman Mitchell Holman is offline
Banned

Default Saab Viggen, pt 4 - Saab Viggen 35.jpg (1/1)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saab Viggen 35.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	27863
Old August 16th 08, 05:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"Mitchell Holman" wrote in message

I noticed something on this picture. The other pics had some comments made
of what the line on the nosecone was, and my thought was some kind of
different material for infrared seekers, or gun camera, or something, still
assuming there was a radar behind the cone.

I notice this one has a smaller cone, with a port below the cone for what I
would think is FLIR, or laser designator (doubtful that, since it can not
see behind the plane, like designators need to do) or gun camera.

My questions are, does anyone know what it is for, and is there still
onboard radar on this variation?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 16th 08, 05:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew Chaplin

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Mitchell Holman" wrote in message

I noticed something on this picture. The other pics had some comments made
of what the line on the nosecone was, and my thought was some kind of
different material for infrared seekers, or gun camera, or something, still
assuming there was a radar behind the cone.

I notice this one has a smaller cone, with a port below the cone for what I
would think is FLIR, or laser designator (doubtful that, since it can not
see behind the plane, like designators need to do) or gun camera.

My questions are, does anyone know what it is for, and is there still
onboard radar on this variation?

Recce bird, I would suspect.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Old August 16th 08, 06:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote on this variation?

Recce bird, I would suspect.

Recon?

I noticed later, that some views of that plane have a port on the bottom
(looking aft, I suspect) a small glass port on the side, also, so I suspect
that reconnaissance would be a good guess.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 16th 08, 06:23 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew Chaplin

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote on this variation?

Recce bird, I would suspect.

Recon?

Two military cultures divided by a common language: "recce" for REConaissanCE
(pronounced to rhyme with "breckie") has been the short form used in Britain,
Canada and most other Commonwealth forces since early in the Great War, and
perhaps even earlier.

Old August 16th 08, 08:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote

Two military cultures divided by a common language: "recce" for
REConaissanCE (pronounced to rhyme with "breckie") has been the short form
used in Britain, Canada and most other Commonwealth forces since early in
the Great War, and perhaps even earlier.

Interesting. I did not know about that other naming, of planes that take
pictures and stuff from the air. g

It is interesting, how the English (and I use that term loosely g)
languages have taken on little twists and turns. It is not surprising that
slang is different, and I suppose acronyms are really no different.

Do you have a hard time listening to an American (I hate that term, since
there are a lot of people that live in North, Central, and South America
that are also Americans) speak, and understand exactly what he or she is
saying?

I have pretty bad hearing loss, and am about to take the plunge into the
land of hearing aids. If I watch a movie that has British people speaking,
I almost always have to turn the volume way up to understand the dialogue.
Same problem with listening and understanding in person, also, but not as
bad if I can do a bit of lip reading. I seem to have picked that skill up
without knowing I did.

I know it depends on where the Brit is from, and such, but I just wondered
if you had as hard of a time listening to people on the other side of the
pond as I do.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 16th 08, 05:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Mitchell Holman" wrote in message

I noticed something on this picture. The other pics had some comments
made of what the line on the nosecone was, and my thought was some kind of
different material for infrared seekers, or gun camera, or something,
still assuming there was a radar behind the cone.

I notice this one has a smaller cone, with a port below the cone for what
I would think is FLIR, or laser designator (doubtful that, since it can
not see behind the plane, like designators need to do) or gun camera.

My questions are, does anyone know what it is for, and is there still
onboard radar on this variation?
--
Jim in NC

It's used for reconnaisance - mostly photograpy, but some infra-red too.
There's no radar in the nose that I'm aware of.

Old August 16th 08, 06:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Morgans[_2_]

"Alan Erskine" wrote

It's used for reconnaisance - mostly photograpy, but some infra-red too.
There's no radar in the nose that I'm aware of.

Thanks.
--
Jim in NC