J-3 Performance

Old November 15th 04, 04:40 AM
MLenoch

Default J-3 Performance

I may need to ferry a J-3 this week. I need some specs: What's the fuel
capacity, fuel burn rate and cruise settings?
Thx
VL
Old November 15th 04, 11:27 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 05:24:02 GMT, zatatime wrote:

Plan on 5 gph burn (more like 4.5 but be safe if you don't know the
plane)

Cruise between 2150 and 2250.

I set it at 2100 and expect 4 gph. I fly two-hour segments but of
course that's pretty meaningless on a ferry trip since you probably
can't account for the wind that precisely.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old November 16th 04, 02:12 AM
john smith

What year is it?
Wood or metal prop?
Wood props turn 50-100 rpm faster.
I figure 4 gph, but I agree, don't fly more than two hours without
stopping. (Depending upon the seat cushion material, that may be all you
want to do anyway. Unless you confor foam, that seat is going to get
mighty hard, fast.)
The Cub's fat wing climbs like a homesick angel.
Expect 65-70 mph cruise at 2100 rpm (Does that sound right, Dan?)
Use 60 mph in the pattern, 55 mph down final slowing to 45-50 mph at
roundout.
Depending on your girth, you can either use the toe of your right foot
to pull the carb heat or pull to a slight climb before standing up and
reaching forward while descending as you pull the carb heat by hand.
The door on the Cub is nice because you can hold onto the open lower
portion with your left hand so you don't slip while you stand behind the
prop to flip it to start the engine. You then have the throttle and fuel
close at hand.
I start the engine with the fuel turned off. If the airplane gets away
from you, it will only run for 30 seconds or so until the sump empties.
This gives you time to climb in and move the switch to ON.
The glide ratio is 10 to 1.
Max gross weight is 1220 pounds.
Remember to clear the carburetor every minute or so when/while in a descent.

Old November 16th 04, 04:09 AM
BTIZ

two hours is two hours.. regardless of where the wind takes you.. it's still
8 gallons gone out of 12..
even if you are not where you thought you should be for that planned fuel
stop

BT

Old November 16th 04, 11:20 AM
Cub Driver

Nuh!

If you're flying from NY to LA, you can't simply divide the nation
into two-hour segments, because you can't know from whence and how
fast the wind will be blowing.

Two hours in the air may always be equal, but the miles covered on the
ground are not.

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:09:08 -0800, "BTIZ"
wrote:

two hours is two hours.. regardless of where the wind takes you.. it's still
8 gallons gone out of 12..
even if you are not where you thought you should be for that planned fuel
stop

BT

.. .

Old November 16th 04, 11:26 AM
Cub Driver

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 02:12:06 GMT, john smith wrote:

Expect 65-70 mph cruise at 2100 rpm (Does that sound right, Dan?)

I am very modern and use knots. I figure 60. Two knuckles on the chart
is 10 nm = 10 minutes

Except that it never works out that way. Yesterday going up to Lake
Winnipesaukee it was 50 knots over the ground northbound, 75 knots
southbound. Yet KPSM was saying winds variable.

Old November 16th 04, 05:21 PM
Malcolm Teas

Cub Driver wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 02:12:06 GMT, john smith wrote:

Expect 65-70 mph cruise at 2100 rpm (Does that sound right, Dan?)

I am very modern and use knots. I figure 60. Two knuckles on the chart
is 10 nm = 10 minutes

Except that it never works out that way. Yesterday going up to Lake
Winnipesaukee it was 50 knots over the ground northbound, 75 knots
southbound. Yet KPSM was saying winds variable.

grin They were variable. Depending on your compass heading...

-Malcolm Teas
Old November 17th 04, 03:46 AM
MLenoch

Thanks to all that submitted info.
I have gotten more J-3 data from you than many instructors would have provided.

Now when I get to the plane, at least I'll have a concept of what to look for.
(I haven't flown a J-3 since college.......don't ask; too many years ago!!)
VL
Old November 17th 04, 07:21 AM
Morgans

"MLenoch" wrote in message
Thanks to all that submitted info.
I have gotten more J-3 data from you than many instructors would have

provided.

Now when I get to the plane, at least I'll have a concept of what to look

for.
(I haven't flown a J-3 since college.......don't ask; too many years

ago!!)
VL

When they had *just* changed the name to J-3 from J-2, and they were all
brand new from the factory, right? g
--
Jim in NC

---