Diana 2 FES

Old December 8th 19, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jerry Zieba

Default Diana 2 FES

Diana 2 FES flies in the USA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=hQk04eG6K5c

Video and music by Curt Lewis "95"

Jerry Zieba "ZJ"
Old December 8th 19, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

So...Â* The video showed the prop spin up on the ground but did not show
the take off.Â* Is it a self launcher or not?

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 9th 19, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster[_2_]

Really Dan, pay attention. "FES" stands for "front engine sustainer", whereas "FES" stands for "front engine self-launcher".

OK, seriously, the Diana site says the Diana 2 and 3 are optioned for "FES" capability (which they define as front engine sustainter). However, they also state, "The Diana 2 with 185 kg of empty mass can be self-launched without water ballast."

A friend swears the Diana line either meets or exceeds the performance of any other competition glider to date (stated before Ventus 3 and JS3 were produced).
Dusty
Old December 10th 19, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Monday, 9 December 2019 02:05:24 UTC+2, Duster wrote:

A friend swears the Diana line either meets or exceeds the performance of any other competition glider to date (stated before Ventus 3 and JS3 were produced).
Dusty

It is still true, I've seen it with my own eyes.
Old December 11th 19, 10:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 12:05:24 AM UTC, Duster wrote:
Really Dan, pay attention. "FES" stands for "front engine sustainer", whereas "FES" stands for "front engine self-launcher".

OK, seriously, the Diana site says the Diana 2 and 3 are optioned for "FES" capability (which they define as front engine sustainter). However, they also state, "The Diana 2 with 185 kg of empty mass can be self-launched without water ballast."

A friend swears the Diana line either meets or exceeds the performance of any other competition glider to date (stated before Ventus 3 and JS3 were produced).
Dusty

Front Electric Sustainer actually.

Old December 11th 19, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Chris Wedgwood wrote on 12/11/2019 2:38 AM:
On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 12:05:24 AM UTC, Duster wrote:
Really Dan, pay attention. "FES" stands for "front engine sustainer", whereas "FES" stands for "front engine self-launcher".

OK, seriously, the Diana site says the Diana 2 and 3 are optioned for "FES" capability (which they define as front engine sustainter). However, they also state, "The Diana 2 with 185 kg of empty mass can be self-launched without water ballast."

A friend swears the Diana line either meets or exceeds the performance of any other competition glider to date (stated before Ventus 3 and JS3 were produced).
Dusty

Front Electric Sustainer actually.

Actually not, according the FES people:

"FES is efficient and innovative Front Electric Self-launch / Self-sustainer
propulsion system for powered sailplanes, developed and produced by LZ design
company located in Slovenia in the middle of the Europe."

I believe it was "sustainer" initialiy, but with so many FES equipped gliders
capable of self-launch, the meaning has been expanded.

My favorite of the FES self-launchers is the 13.5M minLAK FES. Small, light, easy
to live with, but with good gliding and power-on performance. It has enough water
ballast capacity to use the strong days well, at least where I live in the Pacific
Northwest.

Old December 11th 19, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

FES is powering self-launchers, but not in certified EASA aircraft.
The Alisport Silent and other similar ultralight sailplanes have been self-launching reliably. Bigger sailplanes like the LAK17 have performed SL but, AFAIK, only as experimental procedures by the pilot-owner. I have personally seen it in a LAK 17cFes, when the owner of the factory was the PIC.

Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it
Old December 11th 19, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

On Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 3:11:22 PM UTC, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Take a look at the URL for their website ..

http://www.front-electric-sustainer.com/
Old December 11th 19, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Chris Wedgwood wrote on 12/11/2019 1:24 PM:
[...]

I did that before I posted the sentence, which is quoted from their website; in
fact, it is the first sentence on the website. Go by the site's content, not the URL!

Diana 2 FES Kevin Christner Soaring 19 April 30th 17 07:32 AM
F/S szd-56 Diana zxcvb Soaring 0 October 8th 10 08:39 AM
SZD-56 Diana Wayne Paul Aviation Photos 0 March 11th 08 01:19 PM
Diana-2 VH-VHZ BlueCumulus[_2_] Soaring 3 July 25th 07 08:00 AM
Odp: SZD 56-2 DIANA Yurek Soaring 4 January 31st 05 08:46 PM