Cobra Trailer Fenders

Old November 23rd 19, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Patrick McMahon

Default Cobra Trailer Fenders

Hey all, I trailered a (new to me and a partner) glider from Ontario to Alberta last week and through the trip blew out both trailer tires on the late-80's aluminum Cobra trailer and destroyed the fenders on the trailer through the event.

The first blowout (1:15am east of Madison, Wisconsin) contorted the right fender, the second (10:15pm north of St. Paul, Minnesota) cleared the left fender clean off - not recovered.

We've found the Cobra fenders on W&W, but at $135 per side, shipping and CAD conversion it seems fairly ridiculous. We've found some options on Amazon for off-brand fenders, has anyone used these? Or, are there any used Cobra fenders around? Or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick (LS6-b EH)
Old November 23rd 19, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Never tried them, but they look OK.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Fen...n/F008564.html

Old November 23rd 19, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Do yourself and the trailer a favor and get the good fenders. $135 ea sounds cheap to me considering what the trailer and glider in it are worth.
Old November 23rd 19, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

I would bite the bullet and get the cobra ones, and then replace your
tires with new ones every 4 to 5 years at most and this
will likely never happen again.
Old November 23rd 19, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 5:43:09 AM UTC-5, Patrick McMahon wrote:
Hey all, I trailered a (new to me and a partner) glider from Ontario to Alberta last week and through the trip blew out both trailer tires on the late-80's aluminum Cobra trailer and destroyed the fenders on the trailer through the event.

The first blowout (1:15am east of Madison, Wisconsin) contorted the right fender, the second (10:15pm north of St. Paul, Minnesota) cleared the left fender clean off - not recovered.

We've found the Cobra fenders on W&W, but at $135 per side, shipping and CAD conversion it seems fairly ridiculous. We've found some options on Amazon for off-brand fenders, has anyone used these? Or, are there any used Cobra fenders around? Or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick (LS6-b EH)

You do get a mud flap and tire chock for that price :-)
Old November 23rd 19, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Buy the right fenders and get more serious about pre-flight safety. It applies to trailers and tires (specifically) as well.

When you can recover from a mistake like that for less than $300, you've had pretty good fortune.

T8
Old November 23rd 19, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Patrick,

I replaced my trailer fenders with the Cobra product. The Cobra fenders include the wheel chocks. They also use the existing mounting holes.

Also, use trailer tires; they are made for towing.

Raul Boerner
LS6-BWL
Old November 23rd 19, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Aren't the Cobra fenders just cheap plastic?

--
Dan, 5J

Removing oxidation from Cobra trailer trim rubber and plastic fenders Dave Nadler Soaring 11 September 25th 17 05:57 PM
FS Cobra Fenders Red NG Soaring 0 February 22nd 14 09:09 PM
2013 Cobra trailer price list needed for TA trailer sale [email protected] Soaring 0 June 22nd 13 02:42 PM
plastic or metal fenders on the trailer? chris Soaring 14 December 20th 10 09:51 PM
Cheap Cobra Trailer Lights 1998 Trailer on E-bay USA ONLY! flyingmr2 Soaring 4 November 16th 10 02:11 AM