A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Cobra Trailer Fenders

Old November 23rd 19, 10:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Patrick McMahon
external usenet poster

Default Cobra Trailer Fenders

Hey all, I trailered a (new to me and a partner) glider from Ontario to Alberta last week and through the trip blew out both trailer tires on the late-80's aluminum Cobra trailer and destroyed the fenders on the trailer through the event.

The first blowout (1:15am east of Madison, Wisconsin) contorted the right fender, the second (10:15pm north of St. Paul, Minnesota) cleared the left fender clean off - not recovered.

We've found the Cobra fenders on W&W, but at $135 per side, shipping and CAD conversion it seems fairly ridiculous. We've found some options on Amazon for off-brand fenders, has anyone used these? Or, are there any used Cobra fenders around? Or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick (LS6-b EH)
Old November 23rd 19, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Never tried them, but they look OK.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Fen...n/F008564.html

Old November 23rd 19, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Do yourself and the trailer a favor and get the good fenders. $135 ea sounds cheap to me considering what the trailer and glider in it are worth.
Old November 23rd 19, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]
external usenet poster

I would bite the bullet and get the cobra ones, and then replace your
tires with new ones every 4 to 5 years at most and this
will likely never happen again.
Old November 23rd 19, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 23, 2019 at 5:43:09 AM UTC-5, Patrick McMahon wrote:
Hey all, I trailered a (new to me and a partner) glider from Ontario to Alberta last week and through the trip blew out both trailer tires on the late-80's aluminum Cobra trailer and destroyed the fenders on the trailer through the event.

The first blowout (1:15am east of Madison, Wisconsin) contorted the right fender, the second (10:15pm north of St. Paul, Minnesota) cleared the left fender clean off - not recovered.

We've found the Cobra fenders on W&W, but at $135 per side, shipping and CAD conversion it seems fairly ridiculous. We've found some options on Amazon for off-brand fenders, has anyone used these? Or, are there any used Cobra fenders around? Or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick (LS6-b EH)

You do get a mud flap and tire chock for that price :-)
Old November 23rd 19, 01:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight
external usenet poster

Buy the right fenders and get more serious about pre-flight safety. It applies to trailers and tires (specifically) as well.

When you can recover from a mistake like that for less than $300, you've had pretty good fortune.

T8
Old November 23rd 19, 02:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Patrick,

I replaced my trailer fenders with the Cobra product. The Cobra fenders include the wheel chocks. They also use the existing mounting holes.

Also, use trailer tires; they are made for towing.

Raul Boerner
LS6-BWL
Old November 23rd 19, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Aren't the Cobra fenders just cheap plastic?

On 11/23/2019 6:11 AM, wrote:
Do yourself and the trailer a favor and get the good fenders. $135 ea sounds cheap to me considering what the trailer and glider in it are worth.

--
Dan, 5J