protecting sliding mechanism

Old May 10th 05, 12:28 AM
Ernest Christley

Default protecting sliding mechanism

I have some 4130 steel parts that slide in other 4130 steel parts, but
only occasionally. Most of the time the parts just sit around waiting
to be used. What is the best to keep the surfaces from rusting? Paint
is out, as it would clog the mechanism.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make
Old May 10th 05, 12:44 PM
Denny

Fog with LPS #3...

denny

Old May 10th 05, 11:09 PM
Cy Galley

There is a graphite based paint called "Slip Plate" Farmers use in on seeder
disks and plow mold boards. I use it on the Tail Wheel Strut on my
Bellanca. Lubricates without loading up with dirt. You can get it in
--
Cy Galley - Bellanca Champion Club
Newsletter Editor-in-Chief & EAA TC

a rattle can.

om...

Old May 11th 05, 04:14 AM
Ernest Christley

Cy Galley wrote:
There is a graphite based paint called "Slip Plate" Farmers use in on seeder
disks and plow mold boards. I use it on the Tail Wheel Strut on my
Bellanca. Lubricates without loading up with dirt. You can get it in
a rattle can.

The application I'm working on is for a folding wing mechanism. Just
won't to make things slide around a little better after I get through
flying, and don't want the mechanism to rust in the meantime. I don't
want to use any sort of grease. That'll make things REAL messy every
time I want to take the plane home.

To see what the wing folding process looks like follow this link:
http://ernest.isa-geek.org/Delta/Pic...ngAssembly.gif

Note that Time-Warner only give me 50kbs upstream and this animated gif
is 3.5Megs. So, please be gentle to my poor server 8*)

I could only find one supplier of the "Slip Plate" brand, and it was $85
for a 12oz can. So I did a search for dry film lubricants, and came up
with this:

http://www.graphitestore.com/items_l...d/35/cat_id/28

Basically $11. That's quite a spread. Do you have any idea what makes
one sell for nearly 8 times the cost of the other?

Old May 12th 05, 03:53 AM

Ernest Christley wrote:

I could only find one supplier of the "Slip Plate" brand, and it was

$85
for a 12oz can.

How about $17.49 for a quart? (Google is great, but use Froogle to
shop):

http://doitbest.com/shop/product.asp...022&sku=579521

Daniel

Old May 12th 05, 04:01 AM

Ernest Christley wrote:
I could only find one supplier of the "Slip Plate" brand, and it was

$85
for a 12oz can. So I did a search for dry film lubricants, and came

up
with ... Basically $11. That's quite a spread. Do you have any idea

what makes
one sell for nearly 8 times the cost of the other?

Slip Plate is essentially a long wearing paint loaded with graphite.
The other is just graphite. Slip Plate won't create a mess like an
ordinary graphite lubricant, it stays where you paint it & provides
some corrosion protection as well as lubrication. With Slip Plate, you
may have to make some allowance for the thickness of the stuff.

Daniel

Old May 12th 05, 04:28 AM
Tim Ward

Cy Galley wrote:
[...]

For a different sort of possible solution, you might look at UHMW
polyethylene. It's slippery and pretty rugged.
I think McMaster-Carr carries both chunks and tape.

Tim Ward

Old May 13th 05, 12:51 AM
Ernest Christley

Tim Ward wrote:

For a different sort of possible solution, you might look at UHMW
polyethylene. It's slippery and pretty rugged.
I think McMaster-Carr carries both chunks and tape.

Tim Ward

Thanks, Tim. Good idea. I actually have quite a bit of it.
Unfortunately, the design didn't allow for it. Adding the space for a
bearing would cut into structural parts that I wasn't about to change.

I think the Slip Plate will work for this application (there is a slight
amount of play that will allow for the coating thickness), and I through
this conversation I have a good lead on Tech Line Coatings that someone
sent to me offline. I'll be using several of their products in my
engine installation.

Old May 13th 05, 12:52 AM
Ernest Christley

Ernest Christley wrote:

I could only find one supplier of the "Slip Plate" brand, and it was

$85

for a 12oz can.

How about $17.49 for a quart? (Google is great, but use Froogle to
shop):

http://doitbest.com/shop/product.asp...022&sku=579521

Daniel

I love going to school. Especially when it saves me that much money 8*)

Thank you.

Old May 13th 05, 01:15 AM
Bob Kuykendall

Can you just send the parts out and have them hard-chromed?