Police chopper noise levels

Old July 8th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.law-enforcement
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default Police chopper noise levels

John Smith wrote:
In article
,
Charles Packer wrote:

Hard for me to believe that D.C. police could afford two choppers.
Is there a Web site where the different makes are shown in profile so
I could learn to identify them?

Some cities did not have to purchase helicopters.
The federal government has a program to give surplus equipment to state
and local governments if they apply for it.
Former US Army OH-58 helicopters (military model of the Bell 206) are
one of the items which come available as they are retired from military
service and are placed on the surplus list.

The DC Metropolitan Police Department has two American Eurocopter AS350 B3s.
They paid for the 2nd one with Homeland Security funds. I don't know how they
funded the first one.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old July 8th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.law-enforcement

On Jul 7, 7:11*am, Charles Packer wrote:
At 3 AM recently I happened to be up and about and I
heard a whining-whirring sound that turned out to be the
police helicopter circling over the public housing
project up the street. But...when that chopper comes
around in the daytime and evenings, it's much louder --
the well-known bupbupbup that lowers the quality of life
in this part of town. So how did they fly relatively
quietly at 3 AM and why don't they use that mode more
often?

--
Charles Packerhttp://cpacker.org/whatnews
mailboxATcpacker.org

"Public Housing Project"?

Hmmm,... sounds like it is time for you to move.
Old July 8th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.law-enforcement
Gig 601Xl Builder

Airbus wrote:
In article ,
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com says...

The DC Metropolitan Police Department has two American Eurocopter AS350 B3s.
They paid for the 2nd one with Homeland Security funds. I don't know how they
funded the first one.

What's an "American Eurocopter"?
Does that mean that Aerospatiale manufactures some "Squirrels" in the US?

It means they finish them out and support them here.

http://www.eurocopterusa.com/Company/CompanyHome.asp
Old July 8th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.law-enforcement
Peter Clark

On Tue, 08 Jul 2008 08:16:36 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:

Charles Packer wrote:

Hard for me to believe that D.C. police could afford two choppers.
Is there a Web site where the different makes are shown in profile so
I could learn to identify them?

--
Charles Packer
http://cpacker.org/whatnews
mailboxATcpacker.org

Strangely, the DC Metro police don't have anything on their webs site
about their aviation unit. (This is usually something that PDs brag
about.) They mention on their web site in one place that they have one
but no mention of the aircraft they use.

Being DC though they may use federal helos on an as needed basis in
addition to what they have in their own inventory.

Maybe Coast Guard stuff a-la the ADIZ when they're not intercepting
someone?
Old July 9th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.law-enforcement
john smith

In article ,
Airbus wrote:

What's an "American Eurocopter"?
Does that mean that Aerospatiale manufactures some "Squirrels" in the US?

The Public Relations Department's spin so American taxpayers will think
their public servants are purchasing an American made product.
Old July 9th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
The DC Metropolitan Police Department has two American Eurocopter AS350 B3s.
They paid for the 2nd one with Homeland Security funds. I don't know how they
funded the first one.

*tinfoil hat*

Drugs. Gotta give that chopper something to do, eh? Make the investment
worthwhile?

:P

TheSmokingGnu

Old July 9th 08, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.law-enforcement
Charles Packer

On Jul 8, 9:16*am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
Charles Packer wrote:
Hard for me to believe that D.C. police could afford two choppers.
Is there a Web site where the different makes are shown in profile so
I could learn to identify them?

Strangely, the DC Metro police don't have anything on their webs site
about their aviation unit. (This is usually something that PDs brag
about.) They mention on their web site in one place that they have one
but no mention of the aircraft they use.

Being DC though they may use federal helos on an as needed basis in
addition to what they have in their own inventory.

Maybe that explains it. Indeed, I've seen a Park Police 'copter
overhead in the
past, definitely outside its usual haunts.

--
Charles Packer
http://cpacker.org/whatnews
Old July 10th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.law-enforcement
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Airbus wrote:
In article ,
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com says...

The DC Metropolitan Police Department has two American Eurocopter AS350 B3s.
They paid for the 2nd one with Homeland Security funds. I don't know how
they funded the first one.

What's an "American Eurocopter"?
Does that mean that Aerospatiale manufactures some "Squirrels" in the US?

I have no earthly idea. Here's the link where I got the information:

http://www.helitorque.com/portal/mod...rticle&sid=290

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com