Bush Threatens Veto Of Any Bills That Don't Include User Fees For Everyone Talking To ATC!

Old June 30th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Bush Threatens Veto Of Any Bills That Don't Include User Fees For Everyone Talking To ATC!

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:02:21 -0700 (PDT), "Robert M. Gary"
wrote in
:

"Obama to push for higher Social Security tax"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21739271/

So expect your paycheck to get smaller.

Nov. 11, 2007
But during an interview on NBC's "Meet the Press," Obama said
subjecting more of a person's income to the payroll tax is the
option he would push for if elected president. He objected to
benefit cuts or a higher retirement age. ...

Currently [2007], only the first $97,500 of a person's annual
income is taxed. The amount is scheduled to rise to $102,000 next
year.

Obama also invoked his friend, billionaire Warren Buffett, who
Obama said has expressed concern that he pays less in Social
Security taxes than anyone else in his office.

"And he has said, and I think a lot of us who have been fortunate
are willing to pay a little bit more to make sure that a senior
citizen who is struggling to deal with rising property taxes or
rising heating bills, that they've got the coverage that they
need," Obama said.

So it would appear that Obama proposal would result in the wealthy
assisting in funding seniors.
Old June 30th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 30, 2:25*pm, "Mike" wrote:

I guess your reading comprehension skills aren't all that great. *Obama
proposes raising the SS maximum income level, which is currently $102,000
which affects less than 5% of the population. *The payroll tax rate would
remain the same. *And you claim to be an economic expert?

I'm not sure what hair your trying to split. The point is that more SS
tax will come out of my paycheck and I suspect the majority of
airplane owners.

-Robert
Old June 30th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 30, 2:25*pm, Larry Dighera wrote:

So it would appear that Obama proposal would result in the wealthy
assisting in funding seniors. *

"Wealthy"!! . OMG I'm on the floor laughing. $102,000/yr is now
wealthy, that's awesome, I'll have to remember that one. You probably
couldn't even get a lone for a Cessna 172 on $102,000/yr.

-Robert

Old June 30th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
:

On Jun 30, 2:25*pm, "Mike" wrote:

I guess your reading comprehension skills aren't all that great.
*Obama proposes raising the SS maximum income level, which is
currently $102,000 which affects less than 5% of the population. *The
payroll tax rate woul

remain the same. *And you claim to be an economic expert?

I'm not sure what hair your trying to split. The point is that more SS
tax will come out of my paycheck and I suspect the majority of
airplane owners.

What do you suspect them of?

Bertie
Old June 30th 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

For a self-described economic expert, you sure have some weak points.

First, Obama said no such thing. Next, SS can't possibly be "gone"
because you will always have people paying into the system. The only
thing that has a potential to be "gone" is the SS trust fund, which
was a bad idea given to us by Reagan in the first place. Even if the
SS trust fund is "gone", FICA will still cover at least 75% of SS
payouts, even if all the doom-and-gloom predictions about SS come
true decades from now.

Actually, SS was a bad idea given to us by FDR in the first place.

SS was a great idea. It's original intent was simply to insure old people
wouldn't be eating out of trash cans, which was widespread at the time. Of
course, I happen to think old people eating out of trash cans isn't a great
idea. If you don't share that sentiment, I can certainly understand why
you'd think SS wasn't a great idea.

Unfortunately, SS has been expanded over the years and the elgibility age
hasn't been raised to reflect the reality of people living longer. The SS
maximum income level also hasn't kept pace with increases in income, and the
whole trust fund idea is a disaster. The result is you now have too many
people collecting benefits from too few, and the current FICA rate reflects
those failures.

Old June 30th 08, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Mike wrote:

I guess your reading comprehension skills aren't all that great. Obama
proposes raising the SS maximum income level, which is
currently $102,000 which affects less than 5% of the population. The
payroll tax rate would remain the same. And you claim to be an
economic expert?

Seems to me if a larger income level is subject to the same tax rate a
higher net tax is the result. Do you disagree?

Old June 30th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Mike wrote:

SS was a great idea. It's original intent was simply to insure old
people wouldn't be eating out of trash cans, which was widespread at
the time. Of course, I happen to think old people eating out of
trash cans isn't a great idea. If you don't share that sentiment, I
can certainly understand why you'd think SS wasn't a great idea.

You're wrong, SS was always a bad idea. Great ideas don't have to be forced
on people, SS does not insure old people won't be eating out of trash cans,
and there's no Constitutional authority for it.

Old June 30th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 30, 2:35*pm, "Mike" wrote:

Unfortunately, SS has been expanded over the years and the elgibility age
hasn't been raised to reflect the reality of people living longer. *The SS
maximum income level also hasn't kept pace with increases in income, and the
whole trust fund idea is a disaster. *

The reason the max income level hasn't increased as fast is because
the max payout has been reduced. Incomes over that amount don't
contribute to increased future distributions. Allowing people to pay
into SS at higher income levels than they can ever collect on totally
throws out the idea that its a "savings" plan as sold by FDR.
In anycase, if they cut the SS tax in 1/2 by allowing people to opt
out of ever collecting on it people would retire with several times
more money by investing the saved 1/2. However, that doesn't allow the
gov't control over your money so it will never fly.

-Robert
Old June 30th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 30, 2:37*pm, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:
Mike wrote:

I guess your reading comprehension skills aren't all that great. Obama
proposes raising the SS maximum income level, which is
currently $102,000 which affects less than 5% of the population. *The
payroll tax rate would remain the same. *And you claim to be an
economic expert?

Seems to me if a larger income level is subject to the same tax rate a
higher net tax is the result. *Do you disagree?

Yea, I'm waiting to hear how he explains to me that more money coming
out of my check and going into the SS system is not a tax increase.
Perhaps he should be running for office.

-Robert