ex USAF/RAAF QF-4G Phantom heading down under

Old May 7th 04, 06:20 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Fri, 7 May 2004 13:04:12 -0400, Thrill
wrote:

In article ,
Ed Rasimus wrote:

But, since you asked and since I've got access to the Weasel Net,
here's some info from a guy who was crew-chief on the tail number you
provided:

I was ACC on 69-7207 from 88-90 at George in the 561TFS/AGS. 93 for a
HARM/SAM kill might have been from when she was in the Idaho ANG after DS
doing the no-fly deal. However, I have asked the question a couple times
(here) and am certain 207 was downed as an unmanned target drone in 98 at
Tyndall and is resting deep under water. No clue how this guy could have
bought her unless he's in a salvage team.

Jay
SoWW #2485

Additional info via CC, 82 ATRS/DET 1, Holloman AFB:

Tail 69-2707 was killed at Tyndall on 16 Dec 98. Its Air Force number
172 for reference. Does someone claim to own this one? They had to
fish it out if so.

FWIW, there were additonal HARM shots taken from the F-4G after Desert
Storm ended. The 81st TFS remained deployed with ever shrinking
personnel and an ever shriking number of aircraft from Spangdahlem to
Incirlik and Dhahran until early '94. The jets were handed off to the
lads at Nellis after that, but my familiarity with any combat events
ends at that point.

Billy

And so, Buffy, I think we've driven a stake into the heart of this
resurgent vampire.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old May 7th 04, 11:04 PM
Erik Von Erich

Aerophotos wrote:
Well thats news to me..... as i have several personal photos showing
clearly 69-7207 with last sam kill in gulf with harm.

The photos i have were taken in 1997 at Mojave??? flight test school
drone ramp in Cali where Tracor were modifying the drones and also at
Tyndal in 1998 when she was in use by the 82nd.

I can supply the pictures even if you want.

No need to supply pictures, but thanks anyway. I was only trying to
give you some further info that you might not be aware of.

From Joe Baugher's site:

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/usafserials.html

"There are a lot of people who want to know about the operational
history or ultimate disposition of a particular aircraft referred to
in this database, but about which I have little or no information. If
you have a specific question about the history of a particular
USAAF/USAF aircraft, you might try the Air Force Historical Research
Agency which is located at Maxwell AFB, Alabama. They have cards on
virtually every aircraft ever owned or operated by the
USAAC/USAAF/USAF, and they might be able to answer your question
fairly quickly. Another source of information is the Individual
Aircraft Record Card file located at the National Air and Space Museum
Archives Division. They also may be able to help you. However, you are
always welcome to e-mail me in any case and I will see if I can dig up
something."
Old May 7th 04, 11:41 PM
Erik Von Erich

Disregard my comment concerning Joe Baugher's site. The issue has been
resolved by others. It's near impossible to follow these threads via
Google Groups. gah
Old May 8th 04, 08:45 PM
TJ

Ed Rasimus wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 07 May 2004 11:30:01 +1000, Aerophotos
wrote:

The photos i have were taken at Tracor/Cali and Tyndal in my
collection...

The marking i have show a kill on the splitter intake plane with a radar
with a harm thru it...

This is apparently the kill .......... do you want a copy also?

Paint on a splitter plate doesn't conclusively prove much of anything.
It doesn't confirm a kill, nor verify a date, nor place it in a
relationship to the last event of a sequence.

But, since you asked and since I've got access to the Weasel Net,
here's some info from a guy who was crew-chief on the tail number you
provided:

I was ACC on 69-7207 from 88-90 at George in the 561TFS/AGS. 93 for a
HARM/SAM kill might have been from when she was in the Idaho ANG after DS
doing the no-fly deal. However, I have asked the question a couple times
(here) and am certain 207 was downed as an unmanned target drone in 98 at
Tyndall and is resting deep under water. No clue how this guy could have
bought her unless he's in a salvage team.

Jay
SoWW #2485
Weasel Keeper 69-7207

My Society of Wild Weasels number is 2488.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8

Ed, I fear that Jay might be mistaken on the fate of '207'. According
to the aircraft spotters 69-7207 - 3862 - QF-4G - AF172 was noted with
the 53 WEG during March 2001.

TJ