single-engine turboprop emergency landing in Indiana

Old December 15th 04, 01:08 PM
Kyler Laird

Default single-engine turboprop emergency landing in Indiana

I just saw a clip on the local news about a single-engine turboprop
that landed on a Highway 933 in Roselawn yesterday after having
engine problems. It looks like it might be a PC-12. It's N922RG.

It was going from South Bend Regional, IN to White Plains, NY with
five people on board. They were about 7 miles SE of South Bend when
the engine problem occurred.

It had a one-mile landing roll and clipped a utility pole, knocking
out power for about 600 people.

It looks like an emergency exit panel (on the right side, over the
wing) was removed. I wonder why. It appears that the fuselage was
in good shape otherwise.

I have a recording of the news report. Tell me if you have an
interest in it. I was impressed that there were no glaring errors.

I think about how nice it would be to have a single-engine turboprop
but incidents like this make me feel warm and fuzzy sitting between
two engines. (I realize there's much more to it though.)

--kyler
Old December 16th 04, 02:03 AM
zatatime

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:08:09 GMT, Kyler Laird
wrote:

I think about how nice it would be to have a single-engine turboprop
but incidents like this make me feel warm and fuzzy sitting between
two engines. (I realize there's much more to it though.)

I'd rather have two engines than a single turbo. Just my opinion, but
I think some of the singles are just too big for anyone's good these
days. A one mile roll out, would have made this type of landing Very
difficult, if not impossible, once he was traveling from DC to his
destination. At least with two, he could have limped to an airport to
land.

My .02
Old December 16th 04, 02:02 PM
john smith

The PC-12 has a very low accident rate. There are only two engine
failures in the aircraft's history that I can recall. One disappeared
over the Pacific a couple years ago and another made an emergency
landing up in northeastern Canada without incident.

Old December 16th 04, 11:20 PM
Terry

Here's the article.... approx 2500 foot landing!

http://www.southbendtribune.com/stor...er__933_is.sto

news

Old December 29th 04, 06:42 AM
Vern

john smith wrote in
:

The PC-12 has a very low accident rate. There are only two engine
failures in the aircraft's history that I can recall. One disappeared
over the Pacific a couple years ago and another made an emergency
landing up in northeastern Canada without incident.

Without incident?? You should check those facts.

Here is an exerpt from the Canadian TSB report number A98A0067.

Aviation Occurrence Report Engine Failure /
Forced Landing
V. Kelner Airways Limited
Pilatus PC-12 C-FKAL
Clarenville, Newfoundland 1.5 nm SE

SYNOPSIS

The aircraft, a Pilatus PC-12, serial number 151, was on a scheduled
domestic flight from St. John's, Newfoundland, to Goose Bay, Labrador, with
the pilot, a company observer, and eight passengers on board. Twenty-three
minutes into the flight, the aircraft turned back towards St. John's
because of a low oil pressure indication. Eight minutes later, the
engine(Pratt & Whitney PT6A-67B) had to be shut down because of a severe
vibration. The pilot then turned towards Clarenville Airport, but was
unable to reach the airfield. The aircraft was destroyed during the forced
landing in a bog one and a half miles from the Clarenville Airport. The
pilot, the company observer, and one passenger sustained serious injuries.

V-8 powered Seabee Corky Scott Home Built 212 October 2nd 04 11:45 PM
Diesel engine Bryan Home Built 41 May 1st 04 07:23 PM
Is taking off on single mag bad for engine flyer Home Built 10 September 21st 03 09:43 PM
Military jet makes emergency landing at MidAmerica Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 1st 03 02:28 AM