Better self rigging system

Old May 13th 18, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Cameron

Default Better self rigging system

I'm sure someone has come up with a much more user friendly system for self rigging vs. what I'm currently doing. My new to me DG400 is in an older Minden trailer, which is tucked inside a T-hangar behind a Cessna 182(high wing). To get the DG out I first have to pull the 182 out, than roll the Minden out and begin the rigging process with an electric self rigger that came with the glider. I've recently been doing some work on the fuselage and without too much trouble am able to roll the fuse out onto my hangar floor in its cradle. I put the tail dolly on and move it around the hangar, making it convenient to work on without pulling it out of the trailer constantly.
I'm wondering how much trouble it would be to come up with a dolly system(jackable, so I can raise the fuse and get the gear down) that I can use for storing the DG in the hangar, yet roll outside(over rail tracks for hangar doors) and have in position for rigging. I picture the wings already out of the trailer in a bracket on the hangar floor, where I can just raise one end up to place in the self rigger, than roll the wing out and begin rigging to the fuselage.
Seems to me this would expedite the rigging process, however it might require finding another home for the Minden trailer should a better system be put in place.

Thanks guys,
Steve Cameron

Old May 13th 18, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 6:48:50 AM UTC-4, Steve Cameron wrote:
[...]

I had one trailer that had a dolly that had 2 screw jacks between the lower frame that the wheels were on and the saddle assembly. It was heavy and awkward as a trailer dolly(lift never used), but the concept would seem to be what you might want for a hangar dolly. I'll bet your buddies Larry and Scott could help you build one.
Good luck
UH
Old May 13th 18, 02:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Cameron

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 8:51:15 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Good idea Hank, I'll get them working on it.
Old May 13th 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emir Sherbi

Measure the height needed to rig it on a marked spot and make a wooden ramp. Is the easiest and quickest way.

Regards
Old May 13th 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 3:48:50 AM UTC-7, Steve Cameron wrote:
[...]

My club has a British made AMF trailer for our L23 that included a fuselage dolly with an over center mechanism and lever to raise and lower the fuselage to get the gear down. It works a lot like the over center mechanisms that some people on rec.aviation.soaring have made for their trailer ramps to replace the screw jacks or hydraulic jacks that they came with from the factory.
Old May 14th 18, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

[...]

Why not just park the trailer outside of the hangar?

Tom
Old May 14th 18, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

http://www.imi-gliding.com/products/...age-dolly.html
Old May 15th 18, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

SC, have LT copy the dolly for the 103 with better wheels. Its an over center design made from sq tubing actuated by a big lever. SF over complicates everything.
Old May 17th 18, 08:57 PM
Brad Alston Brad Alston is offline
Member

Location: Salt Lake City, UT USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF View Post
... over complicates everything.
Chuckle...Fly a fixed gear sailplane!?

ASG-32 Mi rigging aid [email protected] Soaring 3 June 8th 16 04:22 PM
Ka-6 Rigging vontresc Soaring 19 August 14th 08 04:55 AM
One man rigging Tom Nau Soaring 9 March 27th 08 05:28 PM
Wanted: 1-man rigging system Jack Soaring 1 October 14th 05 03:29 AM
ski rigging Drew Dalgleish Home Built 3 December 3rd 03 05:16 AM