Tow plane / glider accident, Adrian MI?

Old August 22nd 11, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Default Tow plane / glider accident, Adrian MI?

I just heard a radio news report of a towing accident in Marshall (Adrian), MI. I have not been able to find any other info. The radio news report said the glider pilot was unharmed but the tow pilot was seriously injured.

Very sorry to hear this news and hoped to find some additional info. Please let me know if you have any...

Thanks,

Sean Fidler
F2
Old August 22nd 11, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

http://wtvbam.com/news/articles/2011...ooks-airfield/

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/article/20110822/NEWS01/308210007/Plane-crashes-near-Brooks-Field-pilot-critical-condition?odyssey=nav|head

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Pi...an-2135333.php

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...sh-in-Marshall

Terrible news, no details as to the cause.
Old August 22nd 11, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

Much more detail here...

Sounds like the glider releaased after reailizing the towplane had a problem. Then a possible stall spin into a wooded area for the towplane. The pilot of the towplane was breathing but had a very serious head injury. He was airlifted to a Lansing, MI hospital. No further details...

Video report: http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...sh-in-Marshall
Old August 22nd 11, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local...sh-in-Marshall

Video Report with more details...
Old August 22nd 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

CORRECTION - The accident happened at MARSHALL, MI (BROOKS FIELD).

And very sadly I have just learned that the pilot passed away last evening.

I have also heard that fuel starvation was an initial finding but that is obviously highly unofficial.

Terrible, terrible news on a day I was planning on flying here in MI.

Our thoughts are with the Club and the friends and family of those who were involved in this accident. Best wishes to all of you.
Old August 23rd 11, 03:39 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Fidler View Post
CORRECTION - The accident happened at MARSHALL, MI (BROOKS FIELD).

And very sadly I have just learned that the pilot passed away last evening.

I have also heard that fuel starvation was an initial finding but that is obviously highly unofficial.

Terrible, terrible news on a day I was planning on flying here in MI.

Our thoughts are with the Club and the friends and family of those who were involved in this accident. Best wishes to all of you.

Sean,

Wow, fuel starvation? Not familiar with the type of tug but being used but fuel starvation is largely an avoidable situation. Always sad to learn of the death of a pilot, tug or glider but one that's completely avoidable only makes things worse. I've seen a tow plane run out of gas at about 800 feet, glider released and the pilot made it back to the field without a problem but I was not happy with the cavalier attitude displayed. The guy who taught me to fly said there were three things a pilot can't rely upon. The runway behind them, the altitude above them or the gas they left on the ground.

Walt