Glide ratio with full brakes and side slip

Old April 30th 16, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glide ratio with full brakes and side slip

On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 4:30:08 AM UTC-7, Jim Kellett wrote:
In a modern glider, the side slip is GREAT for crosswind landings, but the forward slip is darn near useless
for losing altitude. I teach forward slips to students only because it's in the PTS, but I teach full spoilers
and increased speed to get a steep approach. That works like a charm, produces a glide ratio WAY lower
than 1:7, and is a lot easier to manage than it sounds.

That's interesting... My ASH-26E is limited to 76 knots with full flaps, so if I find myself a little high a slip brings it down like a falling rock!

-5Z
Old April 30th 16, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I fly a 2-22 and a 1-26, I dint need spoilers or a slip to come down like a tock.
Dan
Old April 30th 16, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Rock lol
Old May 1st 16, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Kellett

On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 1:27:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:

That's interesting... My ASH-26E is limited to 76 knots with full flaps, so if I find myself a little high a slip brings it down like a falling rock!

-5Z

Hmmm . . . my ASW-20C has a Vne or 65 kts with landing flaps, but I can get higher descent rates in the landing flap position by increasing airspeed than I can get with a slip! Yes, that IS interesting.
Old May 1st 16, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jim are you hard slipping, meaning using all of your available rudder? Lots of guys don't realky rack it in there and consequently are not getting much drag effect from the fuselage. I had the oportunity to fly an early 20 and while not earth shattering, she would come down pretty good with a hard slip.
Dan
Old May 1st 16, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Frankly, a "20" (especially an "A") with landing flaps & full airbrakes comes down fast.
If you "need" a slip, you are either waiting too long to pick a field or need to pick better fields.

The slip likely does not add much drag, more is likely lost from spanwise flow on the wing.

I have several hundred hours in 20 A & C models with too many safe off airport landings.
Old May 2nd 16, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Or chasing a record and need to puther down in a pea patch over an 80 ft high hedge row
Old May 2nd 16, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Been there done that
Old May 2nd 16, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 2:11:38 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Frankly, a "20" (especially an "A") with landing flaps & full airbrakes comes down fast.
If you "need" a slip, you are either waiting too long to pick a field or need to pick better fields.

Or in places like Colorado with big windshear and downbursts. I've flown a downwind with 50 knots on the tail and dead calm turning final. A few of these and you learn to fly high patterns and have the tools to get down if the wind quits on final. :-)
Old May 2nd 16, 08:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Saturday, 30 April 2016 14:30:08 UTC+3, Jim Kellett wrote:

In a modern glider, the side slip is GREAT for crosswind landings, but the forward slip is darn near useless for losing altitude. I teach forward slips to students only because it's in the PTS, but I teach full spoilers and increased speed to get a steep approach. That works like a charm, produces a glide ratio WAY lower than 1:7, and is a lot easier to manage than it sounds.

This is the EXACT recipe how to destroy DuoDiscus while landing out. It is so exactly opposite to what you should do that it is almost scary. Probably works on 2-33 or whatever only-slightly-glider-shaped-object you teach on, though.

Glide Ratio of a King Air? Karen Soaring 3 November 15th 10 07:29 PM
Side slip Jim Naval Aviation 4 December 6th 06 07:18 PM
So you think you have a low glide ratio! COLIN LAMB Soaring 30 January 12th 06 02:47 PM
GPS glide ratio calculations james Soaring 0 May 4th 04 09:00 PM
GPS glide ratio calculations Jason Armistead Soaring 16 September 12th 03 04:50 AM