Taking Parachute on Commercial Airline Flight?

Old June 11th 16, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

Default Taking Parachute on Commercial Airline Flight?

Does anybody have recent experience on taking a parachute along in checked airline baggage? Does TSA hassle you these days or mess up the chute on inspection?

Terry
Old June 11th 16, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 10:23:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Does anybody have recent experience on taking a parachute along in checked airline baggage? Does TSA hassle you these days or mess up the chute on inspection?

Terry

Took a new Softie from the Convention home; 3 legs. No problem on United. I had it in the bottom of my duffle bag (saves bag fee).

Dan

Old June 11th 16, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

As long as your name isn't Cooper. Dan Benjamin Cooper...

Boggs
Old June 11th 16, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 8:17:25 PM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
As long as your name isn't Cooper. Dan Benjamin Cooper...

Boggs

I think that since they put altitude locks on the rear "DB Cooper" doors of 727s (remember them?) the parachute thing hasn't been a problem.
I've carried on and checked parachutes, on domestic flights and international. No problem.
For checked bags, I attach a laminated tag with the following...
Jim

Airport Security:

(TSA logo)

This is an emergency parachute

Ø It has been inspected and repacked by an FAA certified rigger.

Ø My life may depend on this safety equipment. Please respect it.

Ø If the seal is broken, or it appears to have been tampered with, it is not considered airworthy.

Ø X-ray it and swipe the container all you want.

Ø Questions: You know where to find me.

Thanks!

Old June 11th 16, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Taking Parachute on Commercial Airline Flight? - a TINS Tale

There we were... Two AF lieutenants who had just ferried a T-33a from
Eielson AFB, AK to Elemendorf AFB, AK. We had orders to return via
commercial airline and bring our parachutes, survival vests, and baggage
pod, a torpedo-shaped object which was slung below the aircraft to carry
our stuff and a radar reflector.

Checking in at the counter, we were told that our parachutes had to go
in the baggage hold and that funny torpedo-shaped thing would travel
below, as well (it was about 6 1/2 feet long). All seemed well with the
world until someone phoned in a bomb threat to the airport (Anchorage
International). All flights were held and all passengers and baggage
were off loaded onto the tarmac. Then, individually we identified our
baggage, parachutes, and torpedoes and were allowed to reboard the
aircraft. I guess the fact that we were willing to fly with it meant
that it was not a danger, even though we were wearing orange flight
suits and carrying helmets and oxygen masks. The only damage was that
they popped our emergency bailout bottles which were attached to the
parachute harnesses.

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 15th 16, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 10:37:19 PM UTC-5, JS wrote:
[...]

That is a real good suggestion Jim. I copied your tag and will try it out on a flight this weekend.
Terry