Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

Old April 28th 18, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

Default Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

It also appears that at least one pilot has installed TopHat on an Open Vario platform running Android.

Chip Bearden

The Open Vario runs a version of Linux on a Cubieboard 2. Much faster than Android. The kits from Stefan Janger are a delight to assemble and can be "stalk" mounted if you want.

Caz Yokoyama has ported the TopHat software to the Open Vario and you can actually select either XCSoar, TopHat or LK8000 at boot, in the current system image. I've flown with both the 5.7 and 7" screens from texim and they're both easy to see in direct sunlight.

Mike
Old April 28th 18, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

It also appears that at least one pilot has installed TopHat on an Open Vario platform running Android.

Chip Bearden

The Open Vario runs a version of Linux on a Cubieboard 2. Much faster than Android. The kits from Stefan Langer are a delight to assemble and can be "stalk" mounted if you want.
https://www.stefly.aero/

Old April 28th 18, 10:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Im using a Sony xperia Z3, and it works very well in sunlight. Tried a friends Samsung Galaxy 7 that worked well too.
Old May 3rd 18, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 7:47:35 PM UTC-5, SoaringXCellence wrote:
It also appears that at least one pilot has installed TopHat on an Open Vario platform running Android.

Chip Bearden

The Open Vario runs a version of Linux on a Cubieboard 2. Much faster than Android. The kits from Stefan Langer are a delight to assemble and can be "stalk" mounted if you want.
https://www.stefly.aero/

Caz Yokoyama has ported the TopHat software to the Open Vario and you can actually select either XCSoar, TopHat or LK8000 at boot, in the current system image. I've flown with both the 5.7 and 7" screens from Texim and they're both easy to see in direct sunlight.

Mike

I fly in the USA with an OpenVario I built, with a Texim 5.7" screen running XCSoar. Very readable in all conditions. I have over 160 hours on it so far over a year and a half of flying, wide variety of environmental conditions, no heating problems. It has worked great except for two in-flight freezes early on, which seem to have been resolved, perhaps by an SD card image update.

I am intrigued with TopHat for the OpenVario. Does it require a touchscreen? I currently do not have a touchscreen on my OpenVario, although I could hook one up, the interface is there. But I don't want to degrade the excellent sunlight readability by integrating a touch screen. I currently have a remote (SteFly's stick buttons/Arduino with modified code) and also SteFly's dual rotary encoder unit, and would like to stick with them. Also, any links to a download for TopHat for OpenVario?

Cheers,
Jim Hogue J6

Old May 3rd 18, 08:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jim,

I like Top Hat and am intrigued with the OpenVario, as you will recall from my interest in your installation last fall at R4N. There is a Linux download of Top Hat on their site as I write this and I've seen reports of at least two OpenVario users who have installed Top Hat, one Android and the other Linux. No info on how well it functions.

One important factor is that Top Hat (derived from XCSoar but focused on competition) has some nice features for a touchscreen interface, the most critical one being the navigation bar at the top of the main screen. Slide it right or left to advance/return to a next/previous TP. Touch to bring up a task menu with various options. It seems to work fine on my PC in a click-and-drag mode. Can that be done with OpenVario with your input devices (SteFly stick and/or rotary controller)? I suspect, though don't know, that most of the info boxes, menus, and inputs would work similar to XCSoar.

Chip Bearden
Old May 4th 18, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

Recent Samsung Galaxy S phones have very bright OLED screens. My Galaxy S8 is quite readable in sunlight, and it's certainly better than a Dell Streak.. Even my old Galaxy S6 was better than the Streak. TFT displays are overrated, IMO. The raw brightness of modern OLED displays gives you better sunlight readability.
Old May 4th 18, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

What about battery useage?

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 4th 18, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op vrijdag 4 mei 2018 16:04:06 UTC+2 schreef Dan Marotta:
What about battery useage?

On 5/4/2018 12:05 AM, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Recent Samsung Galaxy S phones have very bright OLED screens. My Galaxy S8 is quite readable in sunlight, and it's certainly better than a Dell Streak. Even my old Galaxy S6 was better than the Streak. TFT displays are overrated, IMO. The raw brightness of modern OLED displays gives you better sunlight readability.

--
Dan, 5J

I use an Honor 9 which can do about 6 hours on battery with full brightness, mobile data and GPS on, but I always have a 10k powerbank with me to keep it topped up.
Old May 4th 18, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op vrijdag 4 mei 2018 16:04:06 UTC+2 schreef Dan Marotta:
What about battery useage?

On 5/4/2018 12:05 AM, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Recent Samsung Galaxy S phones have very bright OLED screens. My Galaxy S8 is quite readable in sunlight, and it's certainly better than a Dell Streak. Even my old Galaxy S6 was better than the Streak. TFT displays are overrated, IMO. The raw brightness of modern OLED displays gives you better sunlight readability.

--
Dan, 5J

I use an Honor 9 which can do about 6 hours on battery using full brightness, mobile data and gps. I do use a 10k powerbank to keep it topped up.
Old May 4th 18, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Battery usage - that's a non-issue.Â* I use the Streak because there was
nothing else even close when I started using XCSoar.Â* Then, since you
can occasionally get a Streak new in the box for $50, I got two spares,
so my 3 Streaks cost about 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of one Samsung.Â*
Battery?Â* I have a cable to the ship's battery.

On 5/4/2018 8:04 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
What about battery usage?

On 5/4/2018 12:05 AM, Ben Hirashima wrote:
Recent Samsung Galaxy S phones have very bright OLED screens. My
Galaxy S8 is quite readable in sunlight, and it's certainly better
than a Dell Streak. Even my old Galaxy S6 was better than the Streak.
TFT displays are overrated, IMO. The raw brightness of modern OLED
displays gives you better sunlight readability.

--
Dan, 5J

Pacific War in Color, pt 9 - P 61 in color.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_9_] Aviation Photos 0 April 5th 17 01:18 PM
Pacific War in Color, pt 8 - P 39-color.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_9_] Aviation Photos 1 April 4th 17 08:41 PM
Pacific War in Color, pt 8 - P 39s-color.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman[_9_] Aviation Photos 0 April 4th 17 01:31 PM
XCSOAR Travis Beach[_2_] Soaring 3 May 24th 08 03:36 PM
Flying platforms/airgeeps David L. Burkhead Home Built 3 January 19th 05 06:33 AM