A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

FAA written exam for gliders

Old March 30th 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster
external usenet poster

Default FAA written exam for gliders

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 9:00:21 AM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 1:03:04 AM UTC-4, John Foster wrote:
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:06:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
John: The books Mike mentioned are definitely worth downloading and studying. I would also echo what Darryl wrote, and expand: it is good that you are studying in advance, but it's not necessarily a good idea to "get the written test out of the way" before you even start flight lessons. Once you get to do some flying, and discuss various things with your instructor, you will have a deeper understanding of some of the things asked about in the test. That's better - and easier - than just trying to memorize the right answers, as some of the online test prep sites allow you to do. Don't put the test off TOO long though, so it won't delay your flight exam when the time comes.

Thank you. I have talked with two different flight instructors, one glider, one power, who both suggested that I just memorize the questions and get the test "out of the way so I could focus on flying". However, after reading through books and taking some practice questions, I find I have more questions than answers. To me flying is a serious business, especially with a glider without an engine to get you out of trouble (or into?). To me it is important to UNDERSTAND. I need to be able to apply rules to real life scenarios I may find myself in. And I find that a live person to explain something that I don't quite understand is invaluable. In much of my other training there has been a significant difference between book learning and real world experience. It is easy to forget what you read in a book, especially if it is done just to pass a test. I would much prefer to have read the book, have questions that come up, discuss this with my instructor, have real life practical experiences that I can hang the facts/regulations/theory on as an anchor that I will help me remember these important things for much longer in the future. I do see the importance of making sure I have my "written" exam out of the way before my check ride (I have to--it's required). But I think I will learn better if I can as questions and understand stuff as I am applying it, instead of passing a test and then learning to fly. Sorry if this was a long-winded response, but it struck a chord with me.

Hi John,

As far learning material specific to the written exam, go with Dauntless. It is by far the most efficient way to study. In addition to test questions, they have a huge amount of study material built in to the program and the program links you to all the relevant info on questions you have questions about. It's all well written and nicely put together, well worth the price. It's commonplace for students using the Dauntless test prep to score high 90s.

Two thumbs up for your interest in continuing education.

best regards,
Evan Ludeman (CFIG and perpetual student)

Thanks. I did go ahead and get the Dauntless software, and am very impressed with it. But I there are still some times I wish I could look something up in a text book or ask my instructor about a point I don't quite understand. I'll be starting my flying instruction on 4/8/18, so I'm as excited as a kid in a candy store right now!
Old March 30th 18, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]
external usenet poster

Do you have to do the written exam before solo? In the UK the requirement
is to complete the written exams before the GFT, you can go solo before
completing all the exams.

I had a look at an example paper and it all looks pretty sensible. Most of
the things covered are things you need to know and/or understand to be a
decent pilot.

Chris

At 18:24 30 March 2018, John Foster wrote:
On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 9:00:21 AM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:06:47 PM UTC-6,

w=
rote:
John: The books Mike mentioned are definitely worth downloading and

s=
tudying. I would also echo what Darryl wrote, and expand: it is good

that
=
you are studying in advance, but it's not necessarily a good idea to "get
t=
he written test out of the way" before you even start flight lessons.
Once=
you get to do some flying, and discuss various things with your
instructor=
, you will have a deeper understanding of some of the things asked about
in=
the test. That's better - and easier - than just trying to memorize the
r=
ight answers, as some of the online test prep sites allow you to do.
Don't=
put the test off TOO long though, so it won't delay your flight exam

when
=
the time comes.
=20
Thank you. I have talked with two different flight instructors, one

gl=
ider, one power, who both suggested that I just memorize the questions

and
=
get the test "out of the way so I could focus on flying". However, after
r=
eading through books and taking some practice questions, I find I have
more=
questions than answers. To me flying is a serious business, especially
wi=
th a glider without an engine to get you out of trouble (or into?). To

me
=
it is important to UNDERSTAND. I need to be able to apply rules to real
li=
fe scenarios I may find myself in. And I find that a live person to
explai=
n something that I don't quite understand is invaluable. In much of my
oth=
er training there has been a significant difference between book learning
a=
nd real world experience. It is easy to forget what you read in a book,
es=
pecially if it is done just to pass a test. I would much prefer to have
re=
ad the book, have questions that come up, discuss this with my

instructor,
=
have real life practical experiences that I can hang the
facts/regulations/=
theory on as an anchor that I will help me remember these important

things
=
for much longer in the future. I do see the importance of making sure I
ha=
ve my "written" exam out of the way before my check ride (I have to--it's
r=
equired). But I think I will learn better if I can as questions and
unders=
tand stuff as I am applying it, instead of passing a test and then
learning=
to fly. Sorry if this was a long-winded response, but it struck a chord
w=
ith me.
=20
Hi John,
=20
As far learning material specific to the written exam, go with

Dauntless.=
It is by far the most efficient way to study. In addition to test
questi=
ons, they have a huge amount of study material built in to the program

and
=
the program links you to all the relevant info on questions you have
questi=
ons about. It's all well written and nicely put together, well worth the
p=
rice. It's commonplace for students using the Dauntless test prep to
score=
high 90s.
=20
Two thumbs up for your interest in continuing education.=20
=20
best regards,

Thanks. I did go ahead and get the Dauntless software, and am very
impress=
ed with it. But I there are still some times I wish I could look
something=
up in a text book or ask my instructor about a point I don't quite
underst=
and. I'll be starting my flying instruction on 4/8/18, so I'm as excited
a=
s a kid in a candy store right now!

Old March 30th 18, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 8:00:21 AM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 12:06:47 PM UTC-6, wrote:
John: The books Mike mentioned are definitely worth downloading and studying. I would also echo what Darryl wrote, and expand: it is good that you are studying in advance, but it's not necessarily a good idea to "get the written test out of the way" before you even start flight lessons. Once you get to do some flying, and discuss various things with your instructor, you will have a deeper understanding of some of the things asked about in the test. That's better - and easier - than just trying to memorize the right answers, as some of the online test prep sites allow you to do. Don't put the test off TOO long though, so it won't delay your flight exam when the time comes.

Thank you. I have talked with two different flight instructors, one glider, one power, who both suggested that I just memorize the questions and get the test "out of the way so I could focus on flying". However, after reading through books and taking some practice questions, I find I have more questions than answers. To me flying is a serious business, especially with a glider without an engine to get you out of trouble (or into?). To me it is important to UNDERSTAND. I need to be able to apply rules to real life scenarios I may find myself in. And I find that a live person to explain something that I don't quite understand is invaluable. In much of my other training there has been a significant difference between book learning and real world experience. It is easy to forget what you read in a book, especially if it is done just to pass a test. I would much prefer to have read the book, have questions that come up, discuss this with my instructor, have real life practical experiences that I can hang the facts/regulations/theory on as an anchor that I will help me remember these important things for much longer in the future. I do see the importance of making sure I have my "written" exam out of the way before my check ride (I have to--it's required). But I think I will learn better if I can as questions and understand stuff as I am applying it, instead of passing a test and then learning to fly. Sorry if this was a long-winded response, but it struck a chord with me.

Hi John,

As far learning material specific to the written exam, go with Dauntless. It is by far the most efficient way to study. In addition to test questions, they have a huge amount of study material built in to the program and the program links you to all the relevant info on questions you have questions about. It's all well written and nicely put together, well worth the price. It's commonplace for students using the Dauntless test prep to score high 90s.

Two thumbs up for your interest in continuing education.

best regards,

I second Dauntless but by it self it is most likely not enough. I find the ASA test prep (it has glider specific questions and answers in their curriculum ) works real well between the two
Old March 30th 18, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 4:45:06 PM UTC-4, Chris Rowland wrote:
Do you have to do the written exam before solo?

No.
Old March 31st 18, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 5:46:01 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 4:45:06 PM UTC-4, Chris Rowland wrote:
Do you have to do the written exam before solo?

No.

In the USA there is a requirement for the instructor to give the student some sort of written test before solo. This is of course not at the same level as the FAA written test before the flight test for the license. And it's not standardized, the questions are up to the instructor (although the topics that must have been included in the instruction up to that point are specified by the FAA). Would be interesting to compare questions from such tests across instructors.
Old March 31st 18, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

I second Dauntless but by it self it is most likely not enough. I find the ASA test prep (it has glider specific questions and answers in their curriculum ) works real well between the two

I agree. It would be a false and risky approach to get a fragmented knowledge only for the sake of the written exam and to not learn all the basics in a systematic way, area by area, from a good handbook. A software like Dauntless prepares you specifically for the test, but luckily is also useful (and entertaining and at times challenging) as you progress and grow in wisdom and gain experience through actual flying.
Old April 24th 18, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

The ASA Test Prep books will have a reference to the source data at each practice test question. So work thru the questions and find the source. Often a free FAA publication.