SPOT price increase ......

Old May 2nd 18, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

Default SPOT price increase ......

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 12:53:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
You can get a (very limited) non-emergency messaging option for a PLB, not free, but a lot cheaper than SPOT: http://406link.com/ - these "messages" are content-free, but by pre-agreement with your buddies they could mean "I'm OK but need a retrieve". (I've suggested to them to add some bits to the message data packet to allow selecting between several different preset messages, but they've apparently ignored me.)

"Note: 406Link.com is a one-way communication tool designed only for Satellite Confirmation testing." So, hack away, but expect to be ignored.

Old May 2nd 18, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 8:52:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
2 step process. They say they will cancel you over the phone, when your renewal is due spot will charge you anyway. Then you call again and get the charge reversed and cancel.

I tried that but was told I was a few days beyond their cut-off date, so they couldn't reverse the charges - sorry, it is a 'policy thing', I was told.
I asked them to remove my credit card info to prevent another auto-renewal, which he did and I watched out for any future SPOT-charges. There haven't been any since then.

Uli
'AS'
Old May 2nd 18, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 1:03:46 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 12:53:41 PM UTC-4, wrote:
You can get a (very limited) non-emergency messaging option for a PLB, not free, but a lot cheaper than SPOT: http://406link.com/ - these "messages" are content-free, but by pre-agreement with your buddies they could mean "I'm OK but need a retrieve". (I've suggested to them to add some bits to the message data packet to allow selecting between several different preset messages, but they've apparently ignored me.)

"Note: 406Link.com is a one-way communication tool designed only for Satellite Confirmation testing." So, hack away, but expect to be ignored.

That's the whole point, Evan. 406link.com uses the fact that such messages are ignored by the search and rescue authorities. They (406link) receive those (with their own equipment) and don't ignore them, rather, trigger emails and text messages to your designated recipients. It's reliable enough that they sell this service for a fee. But of course they won't guarantee anything. (If it's a real emergency used the normal function of the PLB.) Disclaimer: I havn't tried it myself.

Also note that a PLB's battery is declared officially dead after a fairly small number (a dozen, IIRC) of these messages if they include the GPS location stamp. This is to ensure there is enough juice left for a long transmission in a real emergency. That means you have to then replace the PLB battery. But you have to do that every 5 years anyway, so you can have two landouts per year with such messages and still not shorten the battery life practically speaking.
Old May 2nd 18, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 1:40:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Moshe: There is no earthly reason to do this given the recent price reductions for InReach.

Evan
Old May 2nd 18, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hey Evan it's your choice. All I said was that the 406link option exists. I chose to buy and carry a PLB, but not to subscribe to 406link at this time. I also chose to (finally) update my phone to one new enough to run IGCdroid, for (optional) cell-based tracking. I think the combination is fairly robust. If I crash and cannot activate the PLB then chances are the Glideport tracking will point out the location, although that is not guaranteed. Nothing is.
Old May 2nd 18, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wheaton

Called Spot, first person barely helpful but learned my June 2018 cost to be $271. Told no price reduction like last year. Called today to cancel. First person responsive but transferred me to "terminations" person. I stated my desire to cancel. She offered a$60 price reduction if I stayed. I declined saying that if the first person yesterday had made the offer I probably would have stayed. I have ordered a replacement device so declined the reduction. This maybe be helpful to others. I had no real problems other than price increase caused me to have another look. I now have a Gen 3 Spot for sale!
JJB
Old May 3rd 18, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 11:03:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hey Evan it's your choice. All I said was that the 406link option exists.. I chose to buy and carry a PLB, but not to subscribe to 406link at this time. I also chose to (finally) update my phone to one new enough to run IGCdroid, for (optional) cell-based tracking. I think the combination is fairly robust. If I crash and cannot activate the PLB then chances are the Glideport tracking will point out the location, although that is not guaranteed. Nothing is.

Which PLB did you buy?

Tom
Old May 3rd 18, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 10:31:48 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 11:03:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hey Evan it's your choice. All I said was that the 406link option exists. I chose to buy and carry a PLB, but not to subscribe to 406link at this time. I also chose to (finally) update my phone to one new enough to run IGCdroid, for (optional) cell-based tracking. I think the combination is fairly robust. If I crash and cannot activate the PLB then chances are the Glideport tracking will point out the location, although that is not guaranteed. Nothing is.

Which PLB did you buy?

Tom

ACR ResQlink+ model PLB-375. It comes in two slightly different versions, the larger one (2881) floats, the smaller one (2880) does not. Several members of our club use this same model.