(USA) FlarmNet usage

Old April 25th 13, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2NO

Default (USA) FlarmNet usage

I can't find any recent discussions on FlarmNet, which is plugged in the Butterfly display manual.

Are most USA PF users registering on FlarmNet.org?

How is the .bnf file installed?

Is it used by the BF display, or by the PF core?

Most importantly will it make me fly faster???

ted/2NO
Old April 25th 13, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Ted,

I highly recommend that all FLARM users register at Flarmnet.org. That way,
it will be easier to identify those flying with you.

The .bfn file is installed into the Butterfly display (not the FLARM) using
the upgrade utility program on a PC and a special update cable. I can do it
for you here. I always put the latest FLARMnet file into the Butterfly
FLARM displays when I ship them.

The great news is the the next version of PowerFLARM firmware should support
the ability to upgrade the Butterfly displays by plugging a USB Flash Drive
or microSD memory card with the firmware upgrade file on it into the
PowerFLARM Brick or Portable.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
____________________________________

Old April 25th 13, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:05:37 AM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:

The great news is the the next version of PowerFLARM firmware should support

the ability to upgrade the Butterfly displays by plugging a USB Flash Drive

or microSD memory card with the firmware upgrade file on it into the

PowerFLARM Brick or Portable.

It works and it's here (in beta) now.

http://www.powerflarm.aero/index.php...ge-and-support

I don't use or care much about flarmnet, but I do recommend the 2.79 beta because it appears to have better pcas sensitivity and reliability and it allows one to easily update the display to 3.1, which improves readability significantly.

Sure wish they'd chuck those silly, useless pcas circles on the butterfly displays in favor of digital range information (like Zaon). I've suggested this, without reply. If you agree, or have a better idea, I'd encourage you to make your opinion known.

Evan Ludeman / T8
Old April 25th 13, 03:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Thanks for the "heads-up", Evan.

The release notes are very interesting. FLARM is now going to charge a fee for (among other things):

* Engine Noise Level recording (ENL)
* IGC approval (IGC)
* Second FLARM antenna connection (RFB)

If this scheme is applicable to the US, too, then I'll be using my Volkslogger along with PowerFLARM. At least I'll get an IGC approved flight trace good for up to world records (OK, stop laughing) with engine noise monitoring - for free.

-John, Q3

Old April 25th 13, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

Where are the display firmware updates? I found the FlarmNet file for the
Americas (I registered a while back) but I don't see any updates for the
display. Will the default level of firmware cope with FlarmNet?

Matt
Old April 25th 13, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:11:35 AM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
Thanks for the "heads-up", Evan.

The release notes are very interesting. FLARM is now going to charge a fee for (among other things):

* Engine Noise Level recording (ENL)

* IGC approval (IGC)

* Second FLARM antenna connection (RFB)

If this scheme is applicable to the US, too, then I'll be using my Volkslogger along with PowerFLARM. At least I'll get an IGC approved flight trace good for up to world records (OK, stop laughing) with engine noise monitoring - for free.

-John, Q3

In the readme file they say that the extra charges only apply to features
not shipped on new purchases. If you already have your PF then you're fine.
The only charge I see (in the future) is for access to the obstacle database.
Since that's called something like "alps 2011" I don't think that's very
applicable.

Matt
Old April 25th 13, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

I'm not so sure, Matt, that one can say that US PowerFLARMs were sold with these features. It certainly doesn't say so on any paperwork that I have. And the PFcore I bought last year certainly didn't do IGC logging out of the box, so it can't be said it shipped with this feature.

I'd really love to be wrong on this. Any official word from FLARM?

-John, Q3

Old April 25th 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:29:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

See "Displays" at bottom of page I linked to above for the 2.79 beta.

-T8
Old April 25th 13, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

The U.S. price for PowerFLARM Core and Portable includes IGC Approval as
standard. That has been the plan from the start. In Europe it is an
option.

Engine Noise Level functionality has always been promoted as an extra cost
option in the USA.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
__________________________

Old April 25th 13, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Thanks, Paul, that answers questions about three of the license items.

Can you shed light on the other extra cost options listed in the V2.79 release notes? Specifically, in the US, are the Audio (AUD), the Second FLARM antenna connection (RFB, and the Garmin TIS output (TIS)extra cost options?

Thanks in advance.

-John, Q3

On Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:31:08 PM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
[...]

PF Portable and Flarmnet Andy[_1_] Soaring 0 October 5th 12 02:55 PM
FLARMnet file update Andy[_1_] Soaring 1 September 25th 12 06:59 PM
FlarmNet Brad[_2_] Soaring 6 August 26th 12 06:35 PM
Usage fee process Danny Deger Piloting 3 April 11th 07 08:27 PM
Oil usage GE Owning 14 May 20th 04 07:22 AM