ANR headset suggestions?

Old March 23rd 04, 08:47 PM
Jay Honeck

I tried some of the newer Bose headsets recently and I couldn't detect any
noise sound reduction difference between them and my DCs.

Uh-oh...

"Can you hear me now?"

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 23rd 04, 10:12 PM
Richard Russell

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:23:41 -0600, "Anyone"
wrote:

"Magnus" wrote in message
I've been looking around a bit for a good headset, any recomendations.
Is ANR worth it or not? Some people say it's bad because you can't hear
the engines so it takes longer to discover engine problems and makes it
harder to sync the props.

I have DC 13.4 with the headset's inc. converstion. It makes a huge
difference for not a lot of money.

I've seen the adds for this conversion but I don't know anything about
it. Would you (or someone) mind giving me the 30 second
indoctrination? Is it expensive? Is it something that I would
install from a kit? Thanks.
Rich Russell
Old March 24th 04, 12:28 AM
Rick Glasser

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 12:26:25 +0100, Thomas Borchert wrote:

comfortable. They're not called David Clamps for nothing. OTOH, Lightspeed

I bought the new headpad and cut-away gel seals for my DCs and they made
a huge difference. Now my big ears don't feel so assaulted when I take
them off.

--
Rick/JYO
PP-ASEL-IA

Old March 24th 04, 01:36 AM
Jonathan

I upgraded my DC's with the headset inc. I love 'em. Wasnt too hard to do
if you're at all handy with a soldering iron.

My only regret was using my DCs to do this upgrade. When your done, the
only thing leftover from the original DC's were the shell, and the boom mic.
they even have you replace the passive sound insulation inside the cups.

In hindsight I would've picked up a cheap pair of softcomm's or similar off
Ebay, used them to upgrade, and kept the DC's as Passenger's headset.

-Jonathan

Old March 24th 04, 10:00 PM
RM

Magnus wrote in message ...
I've been looking around a bit for a good headset, any recomendations.
Is ANR worth it or not? Some people say it's bad because you can't hear
the engines so it takes longer to discover engine problems and makes it
harder to sync the props.

OK, I guess it's been a few years since I posted this story, so maybe
I'll be forgiven the repetion...

I was happily using a DC set when I ran into a kid who had been convinced
that he was going to make money on Cessna leasebacks. As a result of this
"investment," he was experiencing cash flow problems. I offered him half
price (cash) for one of his Bose sets and he snatched it.

So I took my new Bose and the DC sets up in a Tomahawk for a little cruise
around the prarie. After leveling off, I took off the DC and tried on the
Bose.

The Bose seemed quite nice, but I then switched back to the DC, just to see.
I was amazed that somehow in the few minutes that I had been wearing the
Bose, the DC had suddenly broken. It wasn't attenuating noise at all and the
racket was deafening.

That's how good they a going from an ANC set to a top-quality passive
makes the passive seem like no headset at all. I'd never go back.

Personally, I like Bose. I've tried Lightspeed and definitely prefer Bose
for both performance and comfort. Besides that, you do get great customer
service for that outrageous price.

Worth it? Couldn't say. I do believe they are the best, but maybe not $500
better than whoever is in second place, if you have to buy them new.
Old March 26th 04, 12:18 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I tried some of the newer Bose headsets recently and I couldn't detect

any
noise sound reduction difference between them and my DCs.

Uh-oh...

"Can you hear me now?"

They were ANR DCs...

Paul