A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Buy Glider without looking



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old December 6th 17, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,142
Default Buy Glider without looking

Does the guy exist. Nobody legitimate (at least in the USA, assuming you are in the USA) goes and buys a glider where you can't find out about them. Where they fly/are learning to fly, what club they belong to, who they know you know, profiles on social media, and confirmable things like phone numbers, addresses, etc.

I've both purchased and sold a glider unseen/uninspected (the same glider).
Ads
  #12  
Old December 6th 17, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,212
Default Buy Glider without looking

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 10:17:32 AM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Does the guy exist...


Does existence exist?
  #13  
Old December 6th 17, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Buy Glider without looking

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 5:26:52 AM UTC-6, Casey wrote:
Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar.

Casey


I bought my sailplane sight unseen with no problems. But the funny thing is that when I upgraded to a real trailer than the dog pound homemade piece of crap that came with the sailplane and then took an ad out on wings and wheels for the old trailer I got the scam offers! My ad even was used as the warning about such ads on the W&W site.
  #14  
Old December 6th 17, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 206
Default Buy Glider without looking

The Scam warning page on Glidersource has a lot of great information. http://glidersource.com/scams.shtml

I posted an ad to sell my trailer last week and have not received any scam attempts as of yet. I wonder if it's because I added "No 419" to the ad. That's the legal code for fraud in Nigeria and warns them not to waste my time.

Paul A.
  #15  
Old December 6th 17, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 991
Default Buy Glider without looking

I guess I shouldn't try to buy anything glider related. I have a low presence online for a reason. Yes, you may find me, you may feel I'm OK, but sill, low exposure online.

Granted, waaaaayyyyyyyy too easy to get the, "deal of the century" and get burned.
  #16  
Old December 7th 17, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 477
Default Buy Glider without looking

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 3:26:52 AM UTC-8, Casey wrote:
Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar.

Casey


I both sold and bought two motorgliders w/o the buyer or myself inspecting them. In my case, I went on the recommendation of a trusted friend, and it worked out fine. The buyer of my glider was in Brazil and only came when it was time to ship it out of country (what an experience!).

I would strongly recommend a bank wire transfer over a cashier's check, however. Cashier's checks can be forged. If you must go the check route, send a copy of the check to the issuing bank and have it verified (call them first).

Tom
  #17  
Old December 7th 17, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 182
Default Buy Glider without looking

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 9:55:59 AM UTC-6, WB wrote:
On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 5:26:52 AM UTC-6, Casey wrote:
Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar..

Casey


I bought my Libelle out of Germany without seeing it, except for pictures.. I wired the owner money and he put the glider on the boat at Bremerhausen.. The only glitch was that the bank held onto the money for a few days before actually sending it. The gentleman in Germany did not get his money until the glider was actually loaded on the RoRo boat and out to sea. He was understandably nervous about that. Worked out in the end. That was 18 years ago this month. Still have that Libelle.



***Bremerhaven***
  #18  
Old December 7th 17, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 477
Default Buy Glider without looking

On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 5:51:31 PM UTC-8, WB wrote:
On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 9:55:59 AM UTC-6, WB wrote:
On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 5:26:52 AM UTC-6, Casey wrote:
Has anyone every sold a glider without the buyer looking at it?

I have my glider listed for sell and the guy is buying without looking at it and sending a cashiers check and arranging shipping....sound familiar.

Casey


I bought my Libelle out of Germany without seeing it, except for pictures. I wired the owner money and he put the glider on the boat at Bremerhausen. The only glitch was that the bank held onto the money for a few days before actually sending it. The gentleman in Germany did not get his money until the glider was actually loaded on the RoRo boat and out to sea. He was understandably nervous about that. Worked out in the end. That was 18 years ago this month. Still have that Libelle.



***Bremerhaven***


The process, if EVERYTHING goes right, takes several days for an international transfer, so plan for it. In my case it take 3 separate attempts until we got all the necessary documentation and correct bank routing numbers (they are different for international vs domestic) to the bank. Plus, I was flying long flights out of Ely, NV so each of these missteps took a couple of days to fix. Eventually everything got worked out and the transfer took place.

There are A LOT of moving parts to sale of this type. If someone wants some advice on this they can PM me.

Tom
  #19  
Old December 7th 17, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,142
Default Buy Glider without looking

(Namechecking a philosopher): Well David Hume existed because Monty Python mentioned him in a song. Everything else I am not sure about.... https://youtu.be/PtgKkifJ0Pw
  #20  
Old December 7th 17, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 15
Default Buy Glider without looking

If anyone is truly sure they are being scammed then why not play with the prospective buyer a little. I was selling an item, non gliding related, and suspected I was being scammed. So I told the buyer that the gonculator valve was acting up and would need to be replaced and that also the intermittent relay diode regulator did not work either. Buddy was OK with these and would replace them when he received the item.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
50 shades of grey glider, whose glider is that in the movie trailer SF Soaring 23 October 16th 14 05:10 AM
Janus 2-seat glider as a club glider? K_Miller Soaring 35 February 3rd 13 10:43 PM
Exporting a glider to/import a glider into Germany Pete Smith[_2_] Soaring 1 August 8th 08 09:33 AM
Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 19th 06 11:08 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.