Sennheiser ANR

Old October 8th 03, 08:09 PM
Greg

Default Sennheiser ANR

Has anybody tried the Sennheiser ANRs? I have used Sennheiser
broadcast equipment and it is great, but I rarely see anything about
their aviation headsets and nobody I know has a pair so any feedback
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Greg
Old October 8th 03, 08:38 PM
Guy Middleton

In article ,
Greg wrote:
Has anybody tried the Sennheiser ANRs? I have used Sennheiser
broadcast equipment and it is great, but I rarely see anything about
their aviation headsets and nobody I know has a pair so any feedback
would be greatly appreciated.

I have a pair. I like them a lot, extremely comfortable. They seem quiet too,
but I don't have anything to compare them to, as I have not used any other ANR
headsets while flying.
Old October 8th 03, 08:56 PM
Kobra

Greg,

I just bought a pair of Lightspeed 30 3G's and a pair of Lightspeed 20 3G's.
I'm going flying tonight to test them both out and I will give you a PIREP
upon my return.

Kobra

om...

Old October 8th 03, 11:17 PM
ThomasH

Greg wrote:

Has anybody tried the Sennheiser ANRs? I have used Sennheiser
broadcast equipment and it is great, but I rarely see anything about
their aviation headsets and nobody I know has a pair so any feedback
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Greg

I am using them for years, I have 3 models:

HMEC-25: expensive, super light with ANR performs somewhat better
than passive model. Perfect for short flights and trips
if you like to carry headsets with you in your luggage.
Also my wife loves them because she can keep her ear rings
on! Not satisfactory if battery power is down! Passive
only suppression is about 16dB only.

HMEC300: successor to the 200 model, it is an astonishing product,
on pair with Bose X for a fraction of a price. I switch off
ANR during taxi if I will listen to the engine, its that good.
Excellent in passive only mode (lost of power,) contrary to
Bose which tends to amplify basses than due to the bass reflex
concept. Comfortable, excellent compromise between pressure
on head and stability.

HMEC100: a passive version of HMEC300, for my casual passengers.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/pages/products/

Of course, the degree of "good or bad" is in the eye of the beholder.
My friend who owns some 6, 7 models incl. Pilot Avionics, Lightspeed,
Telex, Peltor etc. was not happy with them and got the HMEC200 on eBay
and... stayed with them. COntrary to that, one of my instructors told
me that bought HMEC300 and was "so unhappy" (not specified in detail)
that he returned them and took the ANC David Clark, what in turn has
astonished me...

I tried out many makes and models while flying with people and
I still prefer the Sennheisers, the more that the company uses their
acclaimed and Emmy awarded mike and headphones technology. My
friend dislikes Germans, and so he took the Lightspeed G3, which
I tested than. He was very silent after a flight with my HMEC300
and I was also silent after flying his G3. I did not wanted comment
on his new toy in his presence. His G3 had a nasty distorted voice
(mike problem) and a strange whizzing and white noise in the
background. I can listen to classical music on my HMEC300, just
as you can on a Bose/X, but for a price! I also hate the mushy
gigantic earmuffs on Lightspeeds. Do not turn your head too fast,
or you might lose them!

I would recommend to try out a few models, exchange headsets if
you fly with friends, and make up your own mind based on practical
experience! Better than only some impressive booth demos by Bose
or Lightspeed! They can be so convincing...

Thomas
Old October 9th 03, 01:49 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Greg wrote:

Has anybody tried the Sennheiser ANRs?

I bought two a couple years ago. I still get ****ed at their latest ads ("simply
the best").

Ok. They're comfortable. Not quite as good as the Bose, but much better than my
Sigtronics. The speaker quality is worse than my Sigtronics or Bose, and the
microphone quality is very poor (about the same as a set of low-end Peltors).
The ANR is excellent, but what good does it do if you can't understand ATC or
the person in the right seat? I'd sell mine in a New York second if I wouldn't
take a bath doing that....

Hum.....

On second thought. They're great!!! Bose is just an overpriced copy of these!
I just happen to have two almost new sets I'll let you have for $500 each. I
have the battery pack for them too!

George Patterson
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the
good fortune to run into the ones I like, and the eyesight to tell the
difference.
Old October 9th 03, 04:45 PM
ThomasH

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Greg wrote:

Has anybody tried the Sennheiser ANRs?

I bought two a couple years ago. I still get ****ed at their latest ads ("simply
the best").

Ok. They're comfortable. Not quite as good as the Bose, but much better than my
Sigtronics. The speaker quality is worse than my Sigtronics or Bose, and the
microphone quality is very poor (about the same as a set of low-end Peltors).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I most sincerely doubt that. Sennheiser mikes are *the leading* stage,
theater and philharmony equipment. Maybe you should adjust sensitivity
(little screw directly on the mike), ask their customer support or
directly Mr. Feldbauer, their rep. Usually they are very helpful. For
example as my friend got his HDC200 on the eBay, he needed to adapt
the HDC300 4xAA battery pack for the older HDC200 and they send him
wiring schematics to so by himself.

Thomas

Old October 9th 03, 11:07 PM
Tobias Dussa

ThomasH writes:
Ok. They're comfortable. Not quite as good as the Bose, but much better than my
Sigtronics. The speaker quality is worse than my Sigtronics or Bose, and the
microphone quality is very poor (about the same as a set of low-end Peltors).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I most sincerely doubt that. Sennheiser mikes are *the leading* stage,
theater and philharmony equipment.

Sennheiser also produces *the* *leading* earphone speakers, which would
make it seem implausible that speakers on their headsets are _that_ bad.
It is not necessarily certain that they put the top-of-the-line stuff
in aviation headsets, though. _But_ judging from my experience with
their products (not limited to, but including aviation gear), I would
agree that I have a hard time believing they produce crappy headsets.

Still, George may have got a faulty headset, those things do happen,
albeit rarely with Sennheiser from what I hear.

FWIW, my HMEC300 is absolutely gorgeous.

Cheers,
Toby.
--
Honk if you love peace and quiet!
Old October 10th 03, 02:11 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Tobias Dussa wrote:

Still, George may have got a faulty headset, those things do happen,
albeit rarely with Sennheiser from what I hear.

If that's the case, I got two of them, though it's possible that only one has a
problem with the microphone. I have difficulty understanding ATC, which I do not
have with my old Sigtronics or my new Bose X. I used them when taking a friend
flying, and the conversation between us contained a lot of variations on "Huh?".
I recall his voice sounding exactly like someone using the Peltor 7004, which
I also own (I use it for children).

A few months after wasting my money on the Sennheisers, I walked into the Bose
booth at Oshkosh with my Sigtronics in hand and told them "If your speakers
sound as good as these, you've got a sale." After a short session with their
intercom, I walked out with a set of Bose X.

George Patterson
unintentional side effect. - Linus Torvalds, speaking about Linux.
Old October 10th 03, 02:20 PM
Tobias Dussa

"G.R. Patterson III" writes:
Still, George may have got a faulty headset, those things do happen,
albeit rarely with Sennheiser from what I hear.

If that's the case, I got two of them, though it's possible that only one has a
problem with the microphone. I have difficulty understanding ATC, which I do not
have with my old Sigtronics or my new Bose X. I used them when taking a friend
flying, and the conversation between us contained a lot of variations on "Huh?".
I recall his voice sounding exactly like someone using the Peltor 7004, which
I also own (I use it for children).

Hm, I see. Obviously our experiences differ. Which Sennheiser models do you
own, actually?

(Don't get me wrong here, I do believe your experiences, I am just curious as
to why our experiences differ so much.)

Cheers,
Toby.
--
Emacs is a nice OS, but it lacks a good editor. That's why I use vi.