Is it possible to switch from VFR to IFR and back?

Old November 25th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Logajan

Default Is it possible to switch from VFR to IFR and back?

Mark Hansen wrote:
These are available for free from the FAA web site. Here is the
Airplane Flying Handbook:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook

and here is the Instrument Flying Handbook:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a..._flying_handbo
ok

Also, here's the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge:

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/handbook

I had downloaded the PDFs of the FAA's books before I went out and bought
the print versions. Why, some of you may ask, would I pay good money for
something I already had free electronic copies? Because it's tough to haul
my desktop (or even laptop) computer into the (ahem) bathroom, or to the
easy chair in the living room, or prop on my chest while lying in bed.

:-)
Old November 25th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

Jim Logajan wrote in
:

Why, some of you may ask, would I pay good
money for something I already had free electronic copies? Because it's
tough to haul my desktop (or even laptop) computer into the (ahem)
bathroom, or to the easy chair in the living room, or prop on my chest
while lying in bed.

Printer cartridges and paper surely is cheaper?

Allen
Old November 25th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Chris W writes:

No offense, but if you can't afford a $15 book, maybe you should stop
wasting time playing computer games, and spend more time earning money,
or developing the skills to earn more money.

No offense, but my financial situation is not your concern, and is not
relevant to the topic at hand.

Old November 25th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

A Lieberma writes:

Printer cartridges and paper surely is cheaper?

Actually, no. It's vastly cheaper to buy a book than it is to try to
print it at home. In fact, even photocopies can be more expensive
than a bound book under some circumstances.

Old November 25th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Logajan

A Lieberma wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote in
:

Why, some of you may ask, would I pay good
money for something I already had free electronic copies? Because it's
tough to haul my desktop (or even laptop) computer into the (ahem)
bathroom, or to the easy chair in the living room, or prop on my chest
while lying in bed.

Printer cartridges and paper surely is cheaper?

I'm not sure if there is a big difference. My laser printer only does black
and white anyway (and my wife's color inkjet is very slow). And there is
the need for some binding. On very long electronic documents I tend to opt
for print copies if the cost isn't too bad and the time to get them isn't
critical.

All things considered I found it easier to order the books from Amazon.
Old November 25th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Garret

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

If I am instrument rated and my aircraft is fully equipped for
instrument flight, and I start out a flight with a VFR flight plan,
and it gets foggy enough that I'm below minimums, is there a way to
switch to IFR in flight,

Yes. It's called a pop-up clearance.

or do I have to have filed IFR from the beginning?

No.

If it's possible in flight, how does it work?

Just ask ATC for a clearance. If they aren't too busy they will just
give you one. If they are busy you will need to contact flight service
by radio to file an IFR flight plan, then get back in touch with ATC to
activate it.

Landing somewhere first is also an option.

Is it possible to later switch back again?

Yes, you can switch from IFR to VFR at any time by simply telling ATC
that you are "canceling IFR."

I ask because it seems like it might be practical to start out as VFR
but still have the option of going IFR if the weather turns
unexpectedly poor (at least in terms of visibility or clouds). At the
same time, filing IFR for the whole flight just because part of it
_might_ be in IMC seems like it could be overkill.

Why? People fly IFR in VFR conditions all the time.

This of course assumes that a pilot and aircraft are ready and able to
handle IMC if they encounter it.

It's much better to be IFR the whole way if there's any chance of
encountering instrument conditions anywhere on the flight.

rg
Old November 25th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

I'm unable to buy stuff.

Well, you get what you pay for.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 25th 06, 08:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Thomas Borchert

Mxsmanic,

No offense, but my financial situation is not your concern,

Then stop bringing it up all the time.

and is not
relevant to the topic at hand.

Sure is. You can't afford a decent book.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 25th 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

Then stop bringing it up all the time.

I haven't. I explain why I cannot do certain things when necessary,
and I stop there.

Sure is. You can't afford a decent book.

My lack of money is relevant. The rest is not.

Old November 25th 06, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Ron Garret writes:

Just ask ATC for a clearance. If they aren't too busy they will just
give you one. If they are busy you will need to contact flight service
by radio to file an IFR flight plan, then get back in touch with ATC to
activate it.

Do I have to work out a whole list of waypoints and stuff to give to
them? Can I just ask for IFR clearance to my destination (or to some
specific point where I expect to find VMC again), without specifying
waypoints or altitudes?

Usually I have a VFR flight plan which in fact does include waypoints,
because I've worked something out with a chart beforehand, but not
always. If I've filed a VFR flight plan that mentions way points, can
I refer to it when asking ATC for IFR clearance? In other words, just
convert part of the VFR flight plan to an IFR flight plan?

Landing somewhere first is also an option.

Yes, but if I can't see anything out the window, this is not without
risk (mainly from conflicting traffic, even if I have instruments that
allow me to land in poor visibility).

Yes, you can switch from IFR to VFR at any time by simply telling ATC
that you are "canceling IFR."

Do I get in trouble if I file VFR, encounter IMC, and have to ask for
IFR clearance as a result? I know I'm not supposed to take off in
IMC, but it seems like on a trip of substantial length, it's hard to
guarantee that it will all be fair weather, especially in some regions
of the world (the area around Seattle seems very pretty, although it
also seems that one can rarely _see_ the area around Seattle).

Why? People fly IFR in VFR conditions all the time.

I recall reading that the vast majority of private pilots (80%?) are
not instrument rated, and that many accidents involving small planes
occur when non-IR pilots fly into IMC and become disoriented. So I
assume that it's rare for the pilot of a small plane to fly IFR
"unofficially" while under VFR. It sounds like a lot of them have no
idea how to do it.

It's much better to be IFR the whole way if there's any chance of
encountering instrument conditions anywhere on the flight.

Because ... ?