Which ClearNav vario display?

Old July 15th 18, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Which ClearNav vario display?

I use both.Â* I prefer the mechanical needle as a lift/sink indicator vs
the sliding scale on the left side of the digital display.Â* I also LOVE
the thermal helper
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfrag9t3fr8kapp/Colorado%20Thermal.jpg?dl=0
on the digital display.

On 7/14/2018 8:19 PM, wrote:
Curious how CN users feel about the need for using both the 57mm round mechanical pointer and the LCD NavDisplay.

If you were starting a panel from scratch, would you use both the LCD NavDisplay and the 57 mm round LCD NavDisplay?

Thanks.

--
Dan, 5J

Old July 15th 18, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A circular needle tells you how strong the lift is (I used to have a pure netto vario in another glider and liked that a lot; a quick 2 kts offset gave me relative netto). But it also gives you acceleration: how fast lift strength is increasing/decreasing. The CNv ribbon changes the scale and the needle simultaneously, making it less intuitive and slower to understand what you want to know at a glance. I suspect the designers will say, well, the instrument is so responsive and smooth and immune to transients that all you need is the number it's pointing at. I don't agree.

I LOVE my CNv but unlike the CAI LNAV (in the appearance of the inputs of which it superficially resembles) the UI leaves a lot to be desired, whether menus, information architecture, inputs, navigating the device, or readouts. The exceptions are the numeric readouts on the main screen (quite good and comprehensive) and the thermal assistant (marvelous!). And the audio is also very good. I've honestly never tried to use the navigation functions because finding and using anything else in the device is frustrating for me. I've memorized the few button pushes I need because, IMO (and experience), the UI is not very intuitive and the chance of accidentally changing a setting is too great.

To repeat: I would hate to give up my CNv. It gives me much better information about the thermal than anything else. But I'd love to redesign the user interface. The designers may have wanted to avoid the CAI approach of a digital control unit and separate analog readout. But the resulting package leaves something to be desired for me.

Ironically, while I worried the 2 1/4" size would be a problem for this aging pilot, it's perfectly fine.

Chip Bearden
Old July 16th 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 7:19:46 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Curious how CN users feel about the need for using both the 57mm round mechanical pointer and the LCD NavDisplay.

If you were starting a panel from scratch, would you use both the LCD NavDisplay and the 57 mm round LCD NavDisplay?

Thanks.

I have both. I really like the TA and the Preempt Climb Option on the digital display. As the vario read out isn't on a fixed scale a glance doesn't tell the story because you have to figure out where you are on the scale. A fixed scale would be better even with the small size.
As an aside I'm not so sure of the winds from the CN. Vario matches the CNII. I'd like two opinions.

Steve
Old July 16th 18, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

I have the full CN2 display and the square LCD CN vario. I originally had the round CN Vario. Reason to get the LCD CN vario? I wanted the thermal assistant! The thermal assistant 3D view is great stuff (not that I seem to stay up dramatically longer). HOWEVER, cost can be an issue. I assume it is still the case that you have to pay an extra $600(!) for the XC license just to get the thermal assistant. This is over and above the vario's base price of $1950. I get that the XC license adds navigation/task functionality plus IGC certification. But I don't need those as I have the full CN2 display plus a Nano 3 as back up. To me $600 seems a bit pricey just to get the thermal assistant. My $0.02. Thanks John OHM Ω

PS - Rex - Any update on new CN2 software? Thanks.

Old July 16th 18, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 7:21:12 PM UTC-7, OHM Ω http://aviation..derosaweb.net wrote:
I have the full CN2 display and the square LCD CN vario. I originally had the round CN Vario. Reason to get the LCD CN vario? I wanted the thermal assistant! The thermal assistant 3D view is great stuff (not that I seem to stay up dramatically longer). HOWEVER, cost can be an issue. I assume it is still the case that you have to pay an extra $600(!) for the XC license just to get the thermal assistant. This is over and above the vario's base price of $1950. I get that the XC license adds navigation/task functionality plus IGC certification. But I don't need those as I have the full CN2 display plus a Nano 3 as back up. To me $600 seems a bit pricey just to get the thermal assistant. My $0.02. Thanks John OHM Ω

PS - Rex - Any update on new CN2 software? Thanks.

There is a practical reason for having both: if the main LCD fails you have a working backup (please spare me the probability that the LCD will fail).

Tom
Old July 16th 18, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

I fly with both displays, I feel that each one does a better job of communicating certain information than the other display. If you can only fit in one, use the square display. The user interface is different, but after a little practice, they work just fine. The Thermal Assistant Screen helps if you get distracted in the thermal, and need to make an adjustment. The vario itself is fantastic.

SF
Old July 16th 18, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I started by replacing my CAI-302 with the analog CnV XC vario.Â* At the
time, ClearNav was offering a 25% trade-in allowance for the 302.Â* I was
very happy with that deal and the XC vario worked great with my
Streak/XCSoar.Â* After I got the Stemme (I kept the XC vario and Streak),
I moved the Streak to the right side, added a CN2 glide
computer/display, and magically hooked them all up together.Â* Oh,
yeah...Â* Then I added a CN digital display to the vario.Â* I'm very happy
with the whole shebang.

Old July 16th 18, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 10:21:12 PM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I assume it is still the case that you have to pay an extra $600(!) for the XC license just to get the thermal assistant. This is over and above the vario's base price of $1950.

This didn't sound right so I checked the ClearNav site. The $1950 gets you the XC (full, including the thermal assistant and IGC logger) version with the square LCD display. I don't see the less expensive Club version in the price list, however, although it's still described in detail on the product pages.

Also what's NOT on the site anymore is the older round analog display. I'd heard a rumor that CN was going to discontinue this display. Can anyone comment?

Chip Bearden

Old July 16th 18, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 11:06:14 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 10:21:12 PM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I assume it is still the case that you have to pay an extra $600(!) for the XC license just to get the thermal assistant. This is over and above the vario's base price of $1950.

This didn't sound right so I checked the ClearNav site. The $1950 gets you the XC (full, including the thermal assistant and IGC logger) version with the square LCD display. I don't see the less expensive Club version in the price list, however, although it's still described in detail on the product pages.

Also what's NOT on the site anymore is the older round analog display. I'd heard a rumor that CN was going to discontinue this display. Can anyone comment?

Chip Bearden

Chip - You are correct. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

The $1950 is for whole she-bang - the LCD display, the behind the panel ADC board *AND* the XC license needed for the thermal assistant (with navigation and IGC logger). As mine was an upgrade only I ordered the LCD display ($550) and then separately the XC license ($600).

So let's circle back on the cost breakdown;

I paid $550+$600=$1150 for the LCD and XC License
That is 75% of the cost of a whole new setup ($1550 for LCD+ADC+XC License)! Still seems high to me.
What I should have done is bought the whole new setup then sold my old complete-but-used "analog" CNv + ADC board (w/o XC license) setup for $???? to help recoup costs*.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Opportunity lost. Dang.

Thanks, John OHM Ω

* It is possible that the XC license was NOT included in the $1550 at the time that I purchased my upgrade (late 2016). I see on the Cumulus web site at the very bottom of the list of features of the whole LCD CNv setup (CNi-0669); "Upgradeable at any time to CNv Cross Country version. You can purchase an upgrade that is tied to the serial number of the unit to upgrade it to a CNv Cross Country." That statement seems superfluous if the XC license is already included. Right? Expiring minds want to know.

- John