Hurricane relief

Old September 8th 05, 05:36 PM
Montblack

("john smith" wrote)
That is not my experience, having read his postings over the last
several years.
I have never heard him preach on this usegroup.
I would not even categorize any of his posting on the recent topics as
being predominantly religious or zealous.

He was behind that Utah State Tri-Motor Fly-In ...or was it the Tri-Wife
Fly-In? hehehe...that just never gets old

Forget CJ; he's a fascist Pat Robertson wannabe

CJ went to the Philippines to assassinate President Arroyo? Wow.

Montblack

Old September 9th 05, 04:16 AM
Matt Barrow

"Montblack" wrote in message
("john smith" wrote)
That is not my experience, having read his postings over the last
several years.
I have never heard him preach on this usegroup.
I would not even categorize any of his posting on the recent topics as
being predominantly religious or zealous.

He was behind that Utah State Tri-Motor Fly-In ...or was it the Tri-Wife
Fly-In? hehehe...that just never gets old

Forget CJ; he's a fascist Pat Robertson wannabe

CJ went to the Philippines to assassinate President Arroyo? Wow.

You forgot ol' Pat's hysterics over the past 25 years.

Old September 12th 05, 09:37 AM
cjcampbell

Doof wrote:
Forget CJ; he's a fascist Pat Robertson wannabe

Odd. I can't stand Mr. Robertson. Or fascism. Or you.

I invoke Godwin's law.

Old September 12th 05, 03:00 PM
Tom S.

"cjcampbell" wrote in message
oups.com...

Doof wrote:
Forget CJ; he's a fascist Pat Robertson wannabe

Odd. I can't stand Mr. Robertson.

Funny, you're his philosophic twin.

Or fascism.

Funny, you don't invoke fascism directly (by name) but so much you've
written stems right out of Mussolini and Rocco (conrol over peoples personal
lives, mixed economy...).

Or you.

From a slug like you, that's certainly something I can live _very well_
with.

I invoke Godwin's law.

Fine, but the description fits.

Old September 13th 05, 02:37 AM
cjcampbell

Doof wrote:
Forget CJ; he's a fascist Pat Robertson wannabe

Odd. I can't stand Mr. Robertson.

Funny, you're his philosophic twin.

I think you would be hard pressed to demonstrate that.

Or fascism.

Funny, you don't invoke fascism directly (by name) but so much you've
written stems right out of Mussolini and Rocco (conrol over peoples personal
lives, mixed economy...).

I think you would be unable to demonstrate that, either. I have no
interest in control over people's personal lives. If believing in a
mixed economy is proof of fascism, then nearly everyone is a fascist,
for nearly everyone believes in some sort of government regulation.
Even the Libertarians.

Or you.

From a slug like you, that's certainly something I can live _very well_
with.

I invoke Godwin's law.

Fine, but the description fits.

And you still lose the argument. Godwin's law has been invoked. The
thread ends.

Old September 13th 05, 02:46 AM
Flyingmonk

OK I'm naive. What is Godwin's law?

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old September 13th 05, 05:30 AM
George Patterson

Flyingmonk wrote:
OK I'm naive. What is Godwin's law?

Godwin's Law: prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the
probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is
a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and
whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in
progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper
bound on thread length in those groups.

-- from jargon.net

George Patterson
Old September 13th 05, 06:09 AM
cjcampbell

Godwin's Law states that the longer a thread on Usenet grows the
probablility of someone calling a Nazi approaches one. There is a
general rule that calling somebody a Nazi, fascist, communist, or some
similar term for those terminates the discussion, with the person who
used the term automatically losing the argument.

There are exceptions. You don't get to terminate a thread just by using
the expedient of calling someone a Nazi. That is cheating. Also, if the
thread is specifically about Nazis in, say, some group devoted to
Holocaust deniers, then Godwin's Law cannot terminate the thread or all
of the threads would be pretty short (not necessarily a bad thing, in
my view).

There have been people who have used sock puppets to call themselves
Nazis simply to terminate a thread and to make it look like they were
the winner, but that is really beyond the pale.

Hurricane relief Dave Stadt Piloting 94 September 8th 05 07:02 PM
Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Instrument Flight Rules 51 September 8th 05 03:33 AM
Hurricane relief Dan Luke Instrument Flight Rules 16 September 5th 05 05:20 PM
Hurricane relief [email protected] Piloting 0 September 5th 05 01:03 AM
Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Piloting 0 September 4th 05 02:27 AM