Article in flying Mag

Old July 21st 03, 09:17 PM
Dan Luke

"Jeff" wrote:
...your serious..a guy sawed off the tips of his prop and then flew the

plane
again?

I'm completely serious. There were numerous witnesses.

There are other wild tales about this guy, but less well documented so I
won't repeat them here.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 22nd 03, 12:47 AM
BTIZ

yea... that was it..

BT

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
I also saw the article. I think it was in IFR refresher last month.

BTIZ wrote:

This months report is FLYING mag is a repeat of a report that I read in
another Aviation Mag, I can't find it right now, but it was either AOPA

or
Pvt Pilot. The "first" article was much more detailed, described the

same
"non-maint" issues right down to the radio shop and the duct tape gas

cap.

but to answer the question. Yes there are people and aircraft out there

like
that, and they are not policed. Even internally, people hate to "Squeal"

on
others, "as long as it does not affect me" syndrome. Sadly, it does

effect
them, either through higher insurance costs, or maintenance shops that

go
out of business when they get "Sued" for allowing an aircraft to fly,

even
if it was 3 yrs since it was in his shop.

BT

"Jeff" wrote in message

Has anyone read the new flying magazine?
There is an article in it about a guy in a bonanza who crashed doing

an
instrument approach using a hand held non-aviation GPS, but whats

worse
is his maint. on his airplane, putting tape over the gas tank when he
lost his gas cap and so on.

I wonder if there are many people out there who actually take these

kind
of chances.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old July 22nd 03, 08:12 AM
Thomas Borchert

Newps,

So we found a wheel chock and a mallet.

Well, I would walk away rather than being part in something like that.
I sure think aviation is over-regulated, but that'S a major Forrest
Gump moment: Stupid is as stupid does.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 22nd 03, 04:29 PM
Dylan Smith

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 20:55:24 GMT, Jay Honeck wrote:
I wonder if there are many people out there who actually take these kind
of chances.

I've not personally witnessed any of the kind outlined in the article.

However, I see enough pilots simply jump in and go -- without so much as
checking the oil or looking in the gas tanks -- to understand how this sort
of thing happens.

There was a Beech Duke at Houston Gulf. I swear that the guy who flew
it (about once every four months) wouldn't have noticed if the right
wing was missing beyond the engine nascelle (until he tried to rotate
of course). The plane had a LOT of defects which were readily apparent
to the most cursory inspection, including some very bad corrosion
on the vertical stab.

There was another at SPX too, who crashed a Bonanza on his third attempt
to get in on the ILS into Hobby (the weather was too bad). On his third
attempt he ran out of gas. This was a Bo with the tip tanks, too. He
ended up crashing into a house. The only thing he did right is control
the aircraft all the way to impact. Somehow he survived with only minor
injuries. He had delusions of rebuilding the plane too (and from what I
saw there wasn't an unbent piece of metal left).

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old July 22nd 03, 05:22 PM
John Galban

Newps wrote in message news:vaWSa.115114$H17.35404@sccrnsc02...
Last month a buddy taxiied his J-5 into a hole, a seriously big hole.
One prop tip was bent about 30 degrees back from straight, the other
just had the paint scraped. So we found a wheel chock and a mallet.
With a couple guys holding onto the prop, another holding the chock
against the back of the prop the other guy whacked on the prop until it
was more or less straight. Then he flew home. I wouldn't call this
uncommon.

That must be a Montana thing. I met a guy at the Spotted Bear
backcountry strip who was lucky enough to have had just enough
altitude to glide there. His crank had snapped over the adjacent
Wilderness Area. Turns out he'd taxied into a snowbank a few months
prior. When I talked to him, he still hadn't made the connection
between his prop strike and the broken crank on his Champ.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old July 22nd 03, 06:34 PM
Dan Luke

"Dylan Smith" wrote:
There was a Beech Duke at Houston Gulf. I swear that the guy who flew
it (about once every four months) wouldn't have noticed if the right
wing was missing beyond the engine nascelle (until he tried to rotate
of course). The plane had a LOT of defects which were readily apparent
to the most cursory inspection, including some very bad corrosion
on the vertical stab.

There's a Cardinal at one of our local fields with corrosion so bad there
are actually holes in it. I hear its tail number on CTAF once in a while.

This kind of thing is not too uncommon, apparently. It's a wonder these
aircraft don't show up in the accident reports more often.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 22nd 03, 07:51 PM
TTA Cherokee Driver

Jeff wrote:

Has anyone read the new flying magazine?
There is an article in it about a guy in a bonanza who crashed doing an
instrument approach using a hand held non-aviation GPS, but whats worse
is his maint. on his airplane, putting tape over the gas tank when he
lost his gas cap and so on.

I wonder if there are many people out there who actually take these kind
of chances.

I assume you're talking about the Aftermath column. IMO that column is
worth the price of the magazine alone.

Read it long enough and you'll soon learn there are lots of people like
that out there. Some of the pilots whose crashes are profiled in there
are so stupid it almost makes you feel complacent because you know you
would never do that. For example, the guy who tried to fly an
overloaded Warrior from Reno to Denver without completing his club
checkout, and oh btw he was also on Meth when he and his friends went
into a lake. Or the farmer who had no logbooks for his 172, kept it in
a barn, never did maintanence, used tractor gas in it and didn't have a
valid medical. Or the welder who fixed his own engine block to save money.

But as you get that complacent, then they come out with one that makes
you gasp and realize that could be you if you don't keep your safety
edge. Like the midair between an experienced and a student pilot who
were both talking to (and trusting) the same class D controller who lost
track of them in the haze. Or the guy who went down because it was
Sunday, he had to get back home on Monday, and the weather was OK when
he took off but it just got progressively and slowly worse and by the
time it was no longer VFR he was trapped with no way out. Or the
professional pilots who got complacent and lost focus on the "easy"
short last leg of a long flight home.

Mike
--
PP-ASEL
PA28-161

Old July 22nd 03, 07:58 PM
Roy Smith

TTA Cherokee Driver wrote:
Or the farmer who had no logbooks for his 172, kept it in a barn,
never did maintanence, used tractor gas in it and didn't have a
valid medical.

Of those, the only one which really impacts safety is the lack of
maintanence.
Old July 23rd 03, 04:10 AM
Newps

You guys worry too much. I've got some great pictures of all these
hands working on that prop.