structural stainless steel tank screws needed for PA-32-300

Old September 23rd 03, 05:12 PM
Dave

Default structural stainless steel tank screws needed for PA-32-300

Does anyone have a source and part number for Stainless Steel
structural screws for the fuel tanks on my 1972 Cherokee 6-300?
Spruce, Wag, etc. have them but they are not structural.
Old September 23rd 03, 05:37 PM
Mike Rapoport

Spruce has them MS27039

Mike
MU-2

m...

Old September 23rd 03, 08:46 PM
Jay Honeck

Does anyone have a source and part number for Stainless Steel
structural screws for the fuel tanks on my 1972 Cherokee 6-300?
Spruce, Wag, etc. have them but they are not structural.

If Spruce or Wag Aero are advertising them as stainless steel fuel tank
screws, they are structural.

We replaced ours last year; I think I got 'em through Spruce...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 24th 03, 01:01 AM
JDupre5762

Does anyone have a source and part number for Stainless Steel
structural screws for the fuel tanks on my 1972 Cherokee 6-300?
Spruce, Wag, etc. have them but they are not structural.

D&D Aircraft Supply of Hampton, NH has kits for the Piper tanks in stainless.
These are definitely structural screws. I have asked them about it before.
Some of the PA 32 series (The retract models) have flush screws in the tanks
and D&D says that they have not found a flush structural screw in stainless of
sufficient strength for that application.

John Dupre'

Old September 24th 03, 05:07 AM
Bret Maverick

(Dave) wrote in message om...
Does anyone have a source and part number for Stainless Steel
structural screws for the fuel tanks on my 1972 Cherokee 6-300?
Spruce, Wag, etc. have them but they are not structural.

MS27039 are available from gen-aviation-hardware
(
http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/) in alloy steel, CRES
(stainless), or beryllium-copper structural.
They are full tension rated structural screws and have a full sized
head.
AN 525 are structural but I think only available in alloy steel. AN
525 are shear screws and are only rated at 50% of the tension load as
MS 27039 screws.
However they have a low profile head and look nicer once installed.
They are available from Spruce and Chief and others I am sure. The
location where they are used is primarily in shear, and the full
tension screws are not necessary. For my money, stainless screws are
subject to galvanic corrosion and can in some instances cause a
problem in this regard. Many pilots in Alaska prefer the steel screws
as they have had problems with the stainless. It is really your call
since the stainless screws do look nicer and if you keep them treated
with LPS or similar they probably won't give you a problem.The steel
screws have the classic gold lacquer finish.

regards,

Bruce Cunningham
N30464
Old September 27th 03, 02:13 AM
JDupre5762

I had a Turbo Lance (PA32RT-300T) and it did not have flush screws.

I have worked on a PA32R-301T that has flush fuel tank screws.

John Dupre'
Old September 28th 03, 03:09 PM
JDupre5762

MS 24694 are flush type structural screws and are available in
stainless (MS 24694C). Spruce, Chief, Wicks, and many others have
them.

That may well be true but when I spoke to D&D supply a couple of years ago they
told me that the stainless flush screws were not strong enough for the
application and they would not sell them in thier Piper fuel tank kits. I
suppose that lots of things can change in two years. I will call them tomorrow
and ask again.

John Dupre'
Old September 28th 03, 09:55 PM

(JDupre5762) wrote in message ...
I had a Turbo Lance (PA32RT-300T) and it did not have flush screws.

I have worked on a PA32R-301T that has flush fuel tank screws.

John Dupre'

It also had Piper's version of the tapered (opposed to constant-chord)
wing, hence the PAXXX-XX1X.

Been too long since I worked on a Saratoga (fixed-gear, tapered wing)
to remember whether or not the screws were "flush".

Of course, the 'Toga and the Turbo 'Toga, have since morph'ed into the
6X, and the 6XT, the SP is now a II HP, and the old Turbo SP, is now a
II TC. Same model number, different name, slightly different
airplanes. Personally, I think the "new" little windows and the
overhead switch panel sucks. The cowl looks kewl tho.

The Lance is history.

If you're confused, walk into your Gulfstream dealer and ask to see a
new G-IVSP or a G-V.

I truly love thread drift, sorry.

If you wanna me to get semi-back on-topic, I've allegedly installed
quite a few MS27039C (heavy emphasis on the C) screws (available at an
aerospace hardware-peddler near YOU) through PAXX fuel tanks. Unless
you can show me a piece of oh-fee-shul Piper paperwork with a FAA
facsimile sig, technically it's contrary to the CAR/FAR/CFR, without
specific approved/acceptable supplementary documentation. I guess
that means I might be spending eternity in mechanic's purgatory.

TC

P.S. I also think it's pretty neat that the Seneca V still has
injected TCM engines, but does not have TCM fuel injection. Had to
explain to a TCM engine rep years ago that you have to start a V like
it had a Lycoming under the cowl.

Working Stainless Steel Bob Babcock Home Built 7 February 14th 04 04:12 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
More long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids, with added nationalistic abuse (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 161 September 25th 03 07:35 AM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
Long-range Spitfires and daylight Bomber Command raids (was: #1 Jet of World War II) The Revolution Will Not Be Televised Military Aviation 20 August 27th 03 09:14 AM