Crosswind landing control..

Old December 4th 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Crosswind landing control..

Roger wrote:

In most Beech singles that rudder has more authority than the nose
gear unless going really slow.

As a pilot who learned to taxi without brakes on Pipers and Cessnas, I
almost ran the first Beech single I taxied right into the weeds.

A classic case of needing to operate the plane you're in, not the others
you've flown in the past. All airplanes have quirks and idiosyncrasies.
Old December 4th 06, 12:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y[_2_]

Roger wrote:

Be careful with the term "Beech". A short filed landing with a Bo is,
plant the mains on, let the nose down, get on the brakes and *haul*
back on the yoke. That actually puts pressure on the mains. The
flaps stay at full.

I was taught to do the same with a Sundowner. It works great!

If I land on airspeed, the yoke is nearly full back as I roll out nose
up, on the mains. Holding it there keeps the plane nicely planted,
keeps the nose gear light, and quickly bleeds speed. In gusty
conditions, the nose may pop back up, but it won't fly.

For the ultra-shortest no-brainer stop, I'll keep the yoke back and drop
th flap handle.

The tuition I paid to learn these techniques was a set of tires. G
Old December 4th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
B A R R Y[_2_]

Roger wrote:
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)

Roger, In what general area are you based?

There's a polished Debonair / Bo at MGJ (Orange County, NY), that's got
to be the runner-up to yours.
Old December 4th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
A Lieberma

"Dan" wrote in
oups.com:

OK, so by bringing the yoke/stick full aft, aren't you increasing the
angle of attack, generating more lift and _removing_ wieght from the
mains? (Sure, the aerodynamic braking does help).

Not below the white arc :-)

99 percent of my landings is with the stall horn going strong, so by the
time my wheels touch ground, the plane has truly stopped flying.

With me retracting the flaps immediately after landing, I have reduced a
significant amount of lift factor, thus the practicality of having the yoke
full aft.

I can feel a huge difference in stability of control after the flaps have
been retracted.

Allen
Old December 4th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Todd W. Deckard

Some tricyle gear airplanes use a free castoring nose-wheel (the Grumman
Yankee, and I believe the Cirrus).
The only one I have a little experience with is the Yankee and it would
reinforce your statement precisely.

In addition the Grumman folks could argue that it was preferable to the
bungee interconnect becuase they can apply
large rudder throws without tugging on the nosewheel which naturally castors
to the correct alignment. Its another
way of demonstrating the use of up-elevator to keep the nosewheel light on
the landing roll.

Regards
Todd

Think of it this way; if your rudder work is good, and your alignment is
set up and executed correctly, and your aileron work is good and
compensating correctly for the drift, the nosewheel should be just fine.
:-)
Dudley Henriques

Old December 4th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

Dudley Henriques wrote:

My procedure with the Bo was to NOT touch the flaps during the rollout until
the airplane had left the runway, then I'd LOOK at the switch, TOUCH the
switch, REPEAT verbally to myself, "Flaps UP!", THEN I'd raise the flaps.

The key is to tell yourself..."Stay left of the yoke". As long as you
do that it doesn't matter what you touch.

Old December 4th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques

"Roger" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 4 Dec 2006 00:58:48 -0500, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

Actually, once you get used to the interconnected rudder (ruddervators
on V-tails) ...............................
:-))

I learned very quickly that in the front seat we didn't have any problem at
all with the V tail, but I never forgot to carry some extra barf bags for
the folks in the back . It got to where the line boy actually hated that
airplane. After every trip, he'd come running up to me before I got to the
flight office asking something like ,
"PLEASE......PLEASE Dudley, ........ tell me you managed to get into
Idlewild and back without them puking all over the floor mats :-))))"
Dudley

Old December 4th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

Roger wrote:

We had an old V Tail Bo on the line around the Jurassic Period that we used
for charter once in a while.

Even then those big flaps slow them down in a hurry.

Bonanza flaps are OK. They're no Cessna flaps though.

Old December 4th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Newps

B A R R Y wrote:

Roger wrote:

Be careful with the term "Beech". A short filed landing with a Bo is,
plant the mains on, let the nose down, get on the brakes and *haul*
back on the yoke. That actually puts pressure on the mains. The
flaps stay at full.

I was taught to do the same with a Sundowner. It works great!

If I land on airspeed, the yoke is nearly full back as I roll out nose
up, on the mains.

If you can roll out with the nose wheel in the air you're going way too
damn fast in the first place. A short field landing is bang bang.
Mains then nosewheel.
Old December 4th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Dudley Henriques wrote:

My procedure with the Bo was to NOT touch the flaps during the rollout
until the airplane had left the runway, then I'd LOOK at the switch,
TOUCH the switch, REPEAT verbally to myself, "Flaps UP!", THEN I'd raise
the flaps.

The key is to tell yourself..."Stay left of the yoke". As long as you do
that it doesn't matter what you touch.

I would respectfully disagree

The look , touch , audible verification, then use, procedure is a developed
personal habit pattern safety check .
It's purpose is to form a flight safety habit pattern trigger that is
transferable between types as pilots move into and out of flying various
aircraft regardless of cockpit layout.
Naturally, type specific cockpit routine is important and should be
followed. The purpose of a highly developed personal habit pattern is to
integrate seamlessly into different cockpit layouts and remain a viable
positive safety factor carried throughout a pilot's career.
"Staying left of the yoke" might be fine for one aircraft, but get you a
REAL slow grinding ride back to the ramp in the next one you fly" :-))
Dudley Henriques

Best place for CG along roll axis Mxsmanic Piloting 42 September 28th 06 04:40 AM
Crosswind landing Ron Webb Home Built 23 June 10th 06 03:43 AM
Cuban Missle Crisis - Ron Knott Greasy Rider© @invalid.com Naval Aviation 0 June 2nd 05 09:14 PM
Tailwheel Crosswind Landing Piloting 32 December 6th 04 02:42 AM
Strong crosswind landings! Toks Desalu Piloting 12 April 19th 04 07:43 PM