Color Me Annoyed

Old February 1st 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Steve

Default Color Me Annoyed

Most aircraft owners view this as their hobby and expect the mechanic
to treat it as his hobby also. These same owners will balk and raise
hell about paying $60 an hour for an A&P, but gladly pay the Chevy
dealer $90 an hour to work on his SUV.

The pilots I know are willing to pay fair value for services rendered.
I'm guessing you didn't spend multi-million on a facility, $250 grand in
shop equipment and diagnostic analyzers. If you did you are likely to have a
1st class facility that would draw plenty of aircraft repair business that
would pay you $90 an hour. Heck you could publish a reasonable fixed rate
for inspections and I'm sure you can get plenty of business that way also.
But you sound like you have an unreasonable expectation of what a mechanics
should earn. Keep you A&P/IA to yourself, the world doesn't need another
service provider with a chip on their shoulder.

Old February 1st 08, 02:47 AM
rotor&wing rotor&wing is offline
Member

Location: florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The pilots I know are willing to pay fair value for services rendered.
I'm guessing you didn't spend multi-million on a facility, $250 grand in
shop equipment and diagnostic analyzers. If you did you are likely to have a
1st class facility that would draw plenty of aircraft repair business that
would pay you $90 an hour. Heck you could publish a reasonable fixed rate
for inspections and I'm sure you can get plenty of business that way also.
But you sound like you have an unreasonable expectation of what a mechanics
should earn. Keep you A&P/IA to yourself, the world doesn't need another
service provider with a chip on their shoulder.
I don't have a shop nor do I work as a mechanic. I've been involved in GA for over 35 years and took the time to acquire my A&P and IA so I could maintain my own airplane or helicopter.

A large portion of GA pilots can't really afford it as a hobby and are unrealistic when it comes to the true cost of aircraft ownership. These coupled with the tight wads that want everything done for them as "a buddy deal" are the biggest complainers when it comes to aircraft maintenance.

At one point in my life I was the guy that would help out a fellow pilot with a maintenance problem, but no more. I've been screwed over more than once with one time leading to an FAA investigation over a false accusation (I was cleared, but it was unpleasant to say the least).

So yes, I'll keep my A&P/IA to myself. And for the rest of you, just keep bitching about the lack of good A&P's to support your hobby.
Old February 1st 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 08:41:18 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Ya see, if general aviation is in such trouble, and mechanics are
having to go to wrenching on trucks for a living, then why can't you
find a mechanic who will work on your airplane within a reasonable
time frame? (mutter, mumble)

Yep. The full time mechanic that has been working on my plane has
essentially quit the business, only performing annuals on the minimum
number of planes to keep his IA. (Fortunately mine is one of them.)
His main problem is getting paid. Owners either refuse to pay or make
him wait for the $$$. I don't understand this because they are just
shooting themselves (and others) in the foot.

In all the years I've been flying, in a partnership or outright
owning, I do not recall even once finding the bill ready when the
annual was finished. That is with a couple exceptions where it took a
week to catch a ride between storms to pick up the Deb. He even
delivered it a couple times (without charging for his time flying it
down), but even then the bill came in the mail at the end of the
month.

Avionics work has been the same. Get the work done and the bill comes
later.

Roger (K8RI)

Regards,
Jerry

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 1st 08, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Denny

Well, it is 1 Feb and Fat Albert is out of license this morning, and I
am Mr. grumpy... First time in over 40 years of owning I have had my
airplane just sitting there in flyable condition, out of license...

Multiple comments read and noted... There are no easy answers to the
dilemma of GA... The increasing costs of everything are driving folks
out of flying... The increasing regs and draconian penalties for
crossing an invisible line on the ground are driving folks out of
flying... The decreasing hours flown are hurting FBO and mechanics...
It is a vicious circle...

For a tiny few, getting your own A&PI is the answer, but out of reach
of the other 99.xx% of us...
Building an experimental is one solution... I am persuing that, but
working 12 hours a day seems to get in the way of my motivation...
LSA is a partial answer - and might be in my future as I continue to
age (hopefully, I will continue to)

The loss of Ol Grumpy will increase business for the folks remaining
which should help keep them in business - the law of unintended
consequences in action...

denny and Fat Albert the Apache
Old February 1st 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Stewart

rotor&wing wrote:
Steve;598168 Wrote:

[...]

And if you do have a good and generous A&P,
remind him that he should charge as much as
the guy that fixes your Subaru, and If he
still doesn't, give him a big tip and offer
to fill his plane or car with gas...

Old February 2nd 08, 01:37 PM
rotor&wing rotor&wing is offline
Member

Location: florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
[...]

It's really too bad the FAA doesn't have a "repairman" rating for private aircraft owners and their aircraft.

My first twin was a 1957 Apache with the 150hp engines. I redid the instrument panel and put the center stack avionics. It was just a reliable great plane.

A few hangars down from me is a full blown Geronimo Apache (full conversion including nacelles and 180hp) There were only about 12 ever done that have all the STC's applied and this is one of them.
Old February 3rd 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

Blanche wrote:

I just called the A&P/IA that does the work on the putt-putt and reminded
him I hadn't seen a bill yet for the installation of the new battery. His
reply was "bring a big batch of brownies with walnuts".

Food does tend to motivate mechanics :-). When I had the time to do
owner assists I always showed up with a case of soda and made all the
Wendy's runs.

Margy
Old February 3rd 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 17:35:51 -0500, Margy Natalie
wrote:

Food does tend to motivate mechanics :-).

As does BEER, in moderation and after the day's business is done.
Old February 5th 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Margy Natalie

wrote:

Food does tend to motivate mechanics :-).

As does BEER, in moderation and after the day's business is done.

Flying out to dinner works if the mechanic has to work on her birthday
to get your plane ready for Oshkosh!

Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:02 PM
Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:01 PM
Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:01 PM
Color Jets Maple1 Aviation Photos 0 October 28th 07 08:00 PM
More with color [email protected] Soaring 3 February 7th 07 09:18 PM