Flight simulator

Old June 20th 09, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default Flight simulator

"James Robinson" wrote in message
Dudley Henriques wrote:

I used Thunderbird as well before RCN stopped handling Usenet. The
only trouble with TB is that being a mail program and news reader, it
still requires an ISP that handles Usenet. With Google Groups you
don't need an ISP who handles Usenet as it's an online reader. If you
have online access, you have Usenet :-))

You don't need an ISP that offers Usenet . There are a number of
newsservers available, some that you pay for, and some that are free. The
free servers typically only carry text groups, with no binaries.

Here, for example, is a list of free servers:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp..._News_Servers/

The most popular are Albasani, Motzarella, and AIOE:

http://albasani.net/
http://www.eternal-september.org/
http://www.news.aioe.org/

Using a newsserver means you can use a newsreader, rather than the more
awkward web access, but the downside, as you mention, is that you need the
software loaded, and don't have the universal access of a web browser.

Thanks for those. ATT/Bellsouth have announced that they are terminating
usenet services in the middle of next month and I was considering the
possibility of saying goodbye for a while. I took a look at Google Groups
when Dudley mentioned it, but at the moment the standard NNTP interface of
eternal-september seems much easier to use.

So, thanks again to both of you and also to Mike Ash for pointing out the
need to sign-up first even when there is a free service involved.

Peter

Old June 21st 09, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 15:41:43 +0200, John Smith wrote:

I strongly recommend not to use a sim while doing primary flight training.

....and I strongly disagree.

I think a conservative estimate of how much I saved during training by
using MSFS as a practice tool was about $1,000.00.

--
Dallas
Old June 21st 09, 08:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_3_]

Bob Noel schrieb:
With ISPs dropping newsgroups (...)

Bob - as you know - there is at least a solution for folks using
rec.aviation.*

#m
Old June 21st 09, 08:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_3_]

Peter Dohm schrieb:
Thanks for those. ATT/Bellsouth have announced that they are terminating
usenet services in the middle of next month and I was considering the
possibility of saying goodbye for a while. I took a look at Google Groups
when Dudley mentioned it, but at the moment the standard NNTP interface of
eternal-september seems much easier to use.

for the r.a.p folks we here also offer free access to our newsserver.

Peter

#m
Old June 21st 09, 11:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Dallas wrote:

I think a conservative estimate of how much I saved during training by
using MSFS as a practice tool was about $1,000.00.

Nothing personal, as I don't know you, but how fast you've passed your
check ride doesn't tell the whole story. I've seen lots of pilots who
have never learnt to have an acceptable lookout, who are not able to
judge attitude by reference to the natural horizon, who can't use the
pedals, etc. etc.

As I said, a sim is good for procedure training such as VOR navigation,
which happens to be part of the PP syllabus, so yes, you can save money
there. But a PC based sim not only doesn't help with stick and rudder
skill, it even tends to destroy them. There's a reason why even the
professional (non-moving) sims are called FNPTs.
Old June 22nd 09, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

John Smith wrote:
From my personal experience,

You're posting anonymously, so everything you posted after that lead-in is
less than useless.

I strongly believe

Facts, not beliefs. If you insist on posting anonymously but still want
your posts to be influential, you might want to consider presenting
testable facts, not your beliefs.
Old June 22nd 09, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Jim Logajan schrieb:

but still want your posts to be influential,

Posts on Usenet influential? :-)
Old June 22nd 09, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

On Jun 22, 4:13*am, John Smith wrote:
Jim Logajan schrieb:

but still want your posts to be influential,

Posts on Usenet influential? :-)

When an individual comes to Usenet on a specialized forum like
"Piloting", they bring whatever their intelligence level is right
along with them.

Individuals are well advised to start the process immediately of
separating what they find here into two very distinct and different
categories; one is fact, the other sheer nonsense. The ability to form
these two categories and act accordingly with each one can be directly
equated to the knowledge, the experience level, and the basic
intelligence of each individual.
Some who come to Usenet exist here quite well. Some never quite manage
to get the two categories established.
The bottom line is that every time you click on a Usenet header, your
ability to differentiate is tested. :-))))))))))))))))
Dudley Henriques
Old June 22nd 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert Moore

Dudley Henriques wrote
The bottom line is that every time you click on a Usenet header, your
ability to differentiate is tested.

And Dudley, I might add that "real" pilots tend to use their "real" name.

Bob Moore
Old June 22nd 09, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article 0,
Robert Moore wrote:

Dudley Henriques wrote
The bottom line is that every time you click on a Usenet header, your
ability to differentiate is tested.

And Dudley, I might add that "real" pilots tend to use their "real" name.

Why should there be any link between one's ability to fly an airplane
and one's preference to use a pseudonym on the internet?

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth