First Human Powered Ornithopter

Old October 7th 10, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CaveLamb

Default First Human Powered Ornithopter

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
TonyW wrote:

On 10/6/2010 2:43 AM, wrote:
http://acidcow.com/pics/13751-made-b...pics-1-video.h
tm
Karl
Not the first, it was done 30 years ago, Google Gossamer Albatross.
GA was prop-driven, not an ornithopter (thrust from wing flapping).

This one doesn't seem to have enough power to take off on its own, but
enough to
barely maintain level flight.

Mildly creepy looking under weigh; looks like a sailplane with severe
low-frequency flutter.

This one was not an ornithopter either...
It just LOOKS like one...

How much flapping do you have to do before it's an ornithopter?

Not being able to take off under its own power doesn't help, mind.

Oh, I'd guess - enough for the wings to actually FLAP rather than just FLEX.

--

Richard Lamb

Old October 7th 10, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Baker

In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
TonyW wrote:

On 10/6/2010 2:43 AM, wrote:
http://acidcow.com/pics/13751-made-b...3-pics-1-video
.h
tm
Karl
Not the first, it was done 30 years ago, Google Gossamer Albatross.
GA was prop-driven, not an ornithopter (thrust from wing flapping).

This one doesn't seem to have enough power to take off on its own, but
enough to
barely maintain level flight.

Mildly creepy looking under weigh; looks like a sailplane with severe
low-frequency flutter.

This one was not an ornithopter either...
It just LOOKS like one...

How much flapping do you have to do before it's an ornithopter?

Not being able to take off under its own power doesn't help, mind.

Oh, I'd guess - enough for the wings to actually FLAP rather than just FLEX.

To your mind, what would make it flapping rather than flexing?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old October 7th 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CaveLamb

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
TonyW wrote:

On 10/6/2010 2:43 AM, wrote:
[...]

No, I'm not interested in a debate on this.

Pick your pony - believe what you want...

--

Richard Lamb

Old October 8th 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Baker

In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
TonyW wrote:

On 10/6/2010 2:43 AM, wrote:
http://acidcow.com/pics/13751-made-b...-23-pics-1-vid
[...]

So... ...you're just interested in making unsupported pronouncements?

Old October 8th 10, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Flash60601

"Alan Baker" wrote in message
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
TonyW wrote:

On 10/6/2010 2:43 AM, wrote:
[...]

Alan, I'll be pleased to hear what you have to say on this:
1. At what speed and altitude did the craft release from the auto-tow?.
2.. How far and how long did it fly under its own power until it was no
longer able to maintain that altitude and airspeed?

Would you think that those two questions are pertinent to the discussion?

Also, have you any connection with this project at all? (You know,
"Disclaimer", as it were).

Thanks,

Flash

Old October 8th 10, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Baker

In article ,
"Flash60601" wrote:

"Alan Baker" wrote in message
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
TonyW wrote:

On 10/6/2010 2:43 AM, wrote:
http://acidcow.com/pics/13751-made-b...ers-23-pics-1-
[...]

I don't know the answer to either of them...

....but I'm betting large that CaveLamb doesn't know the answer either.

And simply declaring it's not flapping and the refusing to define his
terms...

Come on.

Would you think that those two questions are pertinent to the discussion?

Of course they're pertinent. I don't know how you want to qualify
successful flight, but it's pretty clearly an ornithopter...

....which is the point I was trying to make.

But if you're interested in its success, you might want to read this:

'The "Snowbird" performed its record-breaking flight on August 2 at the
Great Lakes Gliding Club in Tottenham, Ont., witnessed by the
vice-president (Canada) of the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale
(FAI), the world-governing body for air sports and aeronautical world
records. The official record claim was filed this month, and the FAI is
expected to confirm the ornithopter's world record at its meeting in
October.'

http://www.physorg.com/news204386550.html

It goes on:

'For centuries engineers have attempted such a feat, ever since Leonardo
da Vinci sketched the first human-powered ornithopter in 1485.
But under the power and piloting of Todd Reichert, an Engineering PhD
candidate at the University of Toronto Institute for Aerospace Studies
(UTIAS), the wing-flapping device sustained both altitude and airspeed
for 19.3 seconds, and covered a distance of 145 metres at an average
speed of 25.6 kilometres per hour.'

'sustained both altitude and airspeed' seems to be fairly definitive.

Also, have you any connection with this project at all? (You know,
"Disclaimer", as it were).

Nope. No connection of any kind.

Old October 8th 10, 07:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Baker

In article ,
"Flash60601" wrote:

"Alan Baker" wrote in message
In article ,
"Flash60601" wrote:

"Alan Baker" wrote in message
In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

Steve Hix wrote:
In article ,
TonyW wrote:

On 10/6/2010 2:43 AM, wrote:
http://acidcow.com/pics/13751-made-b...rs-23-pics-1-v
ide
o.h
tm
Karl
Not the first, it was done 30 years ago, Google Gossamer Albatross.

GA was prop-driven, not an ornithopter (thrust from wing flapping).

This one doesn't seem to have enough power to take off on its own,
but
enough to
barely maintain level flight.

Mildly creepy looking under weigh; looks like a sailplane with
severe
low-frequency flutter.

This one was not an ornithopter either...
It just LOOKS like one...

How do you conclude that?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg

Well, to be atrue ornithopter, its takeoff would not be towed by an
automobile, for the first thing.
And secondly, it should be able to sustain flight by flapping. This
thing
was simply a unique-looking glider with wings that flexed a bit in ground
effect, after the car towing it got it moving.

It may indeed be a comendable piece of aerdymanic ingenuity, but an
"ornithopter it is NOT.

Flash

You're reaching a little bit, I think.

It was definitely flapping its wings and the folks who built it know how
to make that work. They based it on a powered ornithopter that achieved
flight on its own from a standing start.

Cool!. Got any videos or link to that one???

Yup.

http://www.ornithopter.net/index_e.html

But start he

http://www.ornithopter.net/MediaGallery/Videos/index_e.html

Old October 8th 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CaveLamb

Alan Baker wrote:

No, I'm not interested in a debate on this.

Pick your pony - believe what you want...

So... ...you're just interested in making unsupported pronouncements?

I've heard from you before, Alan.
Have no intention of repeating the experience.

--

Richard Lamb

Old October 8th 10, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CaveLamb

The op gave us this link...

http://acidcow.com/pics/13751-made-b...s-1-video.html

Which is NOT the same machine as this...

Old October 8th 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Alan Baker

In article ,
CaveLamb wrote:

The op gave us this link...

http://acidcow.com/pics/13751-made-b...s-1-video.html

Yes. That is the human powered machine.

Which is NOT the same machine as this...

http://www.ornithopter.net/index_e.html

But start he

http://www.ornithopter.net/MediaGallery/Videos/index_e.html

It's not the same, because the poster to whom I was replying was asking
about the engine powered ornithopter that had definitely taken off from
a standing start.