Problem with homebuild: the manual

Old February 5th 04, 09:06 AM
MINIWI

Default Problem with homebuild: the manual

Who has got problems with a homebuild caused by a bad or uncomplete manual?
I am going to attend the build of RV-7 and RV-9. During the work I'll take
pictures and write down tricks and hints, not found in the manual.
What's missing in a manual naturally, not just in van's?

Michael

Old February 5th 04, 04:26 PM
Rich S.

"MINIWI" wrote in message
Who has got problems with a homebuild caused by a bad or uncomplete

manual?
I am going to attend the build of RV-7 and RV-9. During the work I'll

take
pictures and write down tricks and hints, not found in the manual.
What's missing in a manual naturally, not just in van's?

Michael

Mine didn't even come with the tube of plastic cement - and I even had to
cut the pieces apart myself!

Rich "grumble, grumble. . . darn 'Quickbuild' kitplanes" S.

Old February 5th 04, 05:24 PM
MINIWI

"Rich S." schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"MINIWI" wrote in message
Who has got problems with a homebuild caused by a bad or uncomplete

manual?
I am going to attend the build of RV-7 and RV-9. During the work I'll

take
pictures and write down tricks and hints, not found in the manual.
What's missing in a manual naturally, not just in van's?

Michael

Mine didn't even come with the tube of plastic cement - and I even had to
cut the pieces apart myself!

Rich "grumble, grumble. . . darn 'Quickbuild' kitplanes" S.

Ok, so they didn't really tell you - what's "included" in the kit. Thanks
for the info.
This means, they need a list "what's included" and "What's to buy and where
to buy" BEFORE you buy the kit.
Quoted!

Michael

Old February 5th 04, 05:38 PM
Jay

I visited an RV-8A (powered by Subaru) under construction and the 2
builders told me the tail section manual was more detailed than the
rest of the plane instruction. That seems a little weak/devious since
most people build the tail and use that as a measure of what the rest
of the kit difficulty will be like.

Old February 5th 04, 05:58 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jay" wrote in message om...
I visited an RV-8A (powered by Subaru) under construction and the 2
builders told me the tail section manual was more detailed than the
rest of the plane instruction. That seems a little weak/devious since
most people build the tail and use that as a measure of what the rest
of the kit difficulty will be like.

Either that or since the tail is the first thing built, it needs to be more
explicit about things that later sections can assume you've already
figured out in the tail.

Old February 5th 04, 06:27 PM
MINIWI

And you won't go with tail in a prof. workshop, but with fuselage and wing.
So tail must be very exactly.

"Ron Natalie" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
. ..

om...

Old February 5th 04, 06:52 PM
Rich S.

"MINIWI" wrote in message

Ok, so they didn't really tell you - what's "included" in the kit. Thanks
for the info.
This means, they need a list "what's included" and "What's to buy and

where
to buy" BEFORE you buy the kit.
Quoted!

I was turnin' your crank, Michael. ) My plane was built from blueprints,
sans "instruction manual".

Oh - the prints are mostly in French, all in metric and are really blue.

Having *any* sort of manual probably would have eliminated six months of
headscratching.

Rich "Lessee......... do I build the fuselage or the wing first???" S.

Old February 5th 04, 11:51 PM
nauga

"Jay" wrote

I visited an RV-8A (powered by Subaru) under construction and the 2
builders told me the tail section manual was more detailed than the
rest of the plane instruction.

Manual? What manual? g

My RV-4 tail manual section was very detailed. The rest of
the manual was not. It didn't matter a bit. By the
time you finish the tail you *ought* to have a pretty
good understanding of how things go together. There's
also more than enough detail on the plans to build
without the manual - which is what I pretty much did.
My Skybolt plans/manual look to be pretty much the same way,
which is fine with me.

Dave 'by the book' Hyde

Old February 6th 04, 01:51 AM
Jerry Springer

Not weak/devious at all, if you can build the tail you can build the rest of the
airframe just fine. With the new pre-punched kits you really don't even have to
measure anything.

Jerry(built second customer built RV-6)Springer

Old February 6th 04, 03:14 AM
Ernest Christley

Rich S. wrote:
"MINIWI" wrote in message

Ok, so they didn't really tell you - what's "included" in the kit. Thanks
for the info.
This means, they need a list "what's included" and "What's to buy and

where

to buy" BEFORE you buy the kit.
Quoted!

I was turnin' your crank, Michael. ) My plane was built from blueprints,
sans "instruction manual".

Oh - the prints are mostly in French, all in metric and are really blue.

Having *any* sort of manual probably would have eliminated six months of
headscratching.

Rich "Lessee......... do I build the fuselage or the wing first???" S.

Build a Dyke Delta, and you'll at least get English and inches.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,

Fiberglass Cowl Problem Boelkowj Home Built 6 December 20th 03 02:08 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Home Built 78 December 3rd 03 09:10 PM
Can we talk about the Randolph problem? Michael Horowitz Home Built 5 October 30th 03 04:44 PM
O-200 Parts Manual Jeff Home Built 3 August 1st 03 05:16 PM