Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

Old March 6th 18, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Default Stress/Anxiety Driven Accidents

Maybe the MH guys can provide some kind of stress relief?

http://alturl.com/uwdah

Boggs
Old March 6th 18, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Or a more practical solution will be for your EDS to automatically switch to the nitrox bottle when it detects stress...

Ramy
Old March 7th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 4:13:36 PM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
Or a more practical solution will be for your EDS to automatically switch to the nitrox bottle when it detects stress...

Ramy

I heard sucking on a candy will help. Heading to the basement now to build my "Automatic Pez-Dispenser".
Herb
Old March 7th 18, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

can anyone suggest a list of emergency situations that can be tried with Condor?
Old March 7th 18, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Daniel Sazhin[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 1:14:09 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
can anyone suggest a list of emergency situations that can be tried with Condor?

Low altitude rope break
Thermalling too low near ridges
Stall/spin at low altitude
Non-standard landing patterns
Low final glides
Joining a ridge too low (before it gets steep)
Wind too weak on ridges

Just to name a few that come to mind.

All the best,
Daniel

Old March 7th 18, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Rowland[_2_]

At 20:21 07 March 2018, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 10:33:48 AM UTC-8, Daniel Sazhin wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 1:14:09 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
can anyone suggest a list of emergency situations that can be tried

with Condor?

Low altitude rope break
Thermalling too low near ridges
Stall/spin at low altitude
Non-standard landing patterns
Low final glides
Joining a ridge too low (before it gets steep)
Wind too weak on ridges

Just to name a few that come to mind.

All the best,
Daniel

Thanks Daniel!

These are all things where it would be really good to use a simulator but
will the current simulators do a good job?

They mostly need some combination of wide field of view, so you can see
your landing area when it's alongside and disappearing behind, and high
resolution, so you get good distance perception. For stall/spin training
the sensations can be overwhelming and a fixed simulator can't deliver
that.

Chris

Old March 8th 18, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Meade

Here is the result of a simulator experiment conducted for the U.S. Navy by a professor at the University of Iowa.
The objective is to see if a simulator can be used to more safely and cheaply train jet fighter pilots in missions.
The test bed is a Czech L-29 jet trainer with the trainee in the rear seat viewing a flat screen panel that can be programmed to emulate (in this case) an F-18 panel, and a safety pilot in the front seat.
Extensive measurements were taken.
It's not such a long paper.
My uneducated take from the paper as it relates to stress and physiological response is that heart rate is a very good approximation of work load and that a narrow input screen results in a higher heart rate than a broader screen. In other words, it appears to me that the a pilot with good vision and I assume good situational awareness has a lower heart rate than one with a limited vision view and perhaps less situational awareness.
I don't know how to link to a .pdf file, sorry. Here is the title.
"Neuroergonomic Assessment of Simulator Fidelity in an
Aviation Centric Live Virtual Constructive (LVC)
Application
Tom Schnell1, Alex Postnikov2, and Nancy Hamel3
1 Operator Performance Laboratory (OPL), University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, 52242, USA
2 Advanced Technology Center, Rockwell Collins, 400 Collins Rd.,
Cedar Rapids, IA 52498, USA
3 Advanced Infoneering, Inc., 433 Hwy 1 W, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA"

5 Conclusions
The CATS neurocognitive, physiological workload measurement package described
in this paper has performed very well in our flight simulator and instrumented fighter
jet trainer. State-of-the-art active shielding electrodes have helped us to mitigate the
effects of adverse noise and signal acquisition. In our experiment we have
demonstrated that this package can be rapidly deployed on the pilot was performing I
dynamics tactical maneuvering in the real fighter jet training aircraft. Perhaps the
most significant conclusion of this paper is that heart rate appears to be a reliable, yet
simple method to characterize pilot workload demand.

Old March 8th 18, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 6:05:44 PM UTC-8, Jim Meade wrote:
[...]

You appear to be able to buy it for serious money he

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10...642-21852-1_28

Old March 8th 18, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 4:30:07 PM UTC-5, Chris Rowland wrote:
At 20:21 07 March 2018, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 10:33:48 AM UTC-8, Daniel Sazhin wrote:
On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 1:14:09 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
can anyone suggest a list of emergency situations that can be tried

with Condor?

Low altitude rope break
Thermalling too low near ridges
Stall/spin at low altitude
Non-standard landing patterns
Low final glides
Joining a ridge too low (before it gets steep)
Wind too weak on ridges

Just to name a few that come to mind.

All the best,
Daniel

Thanks Daniel!

These are all things where it would be really good to use a simulator but
will the current simulators do a good job?

In my ten years using Condor to conduct primary flight training, mostly online, there are very few flight conditions/situations that cannot be replicated with great accuracy.

They mostly need some combination of wide field of view, so you can see
your landing area when it's alongside and disappearing behind,

While wide field of view would be nice, is not necessary. The available field of view can be adjusted in the desired direction, not unlike turning your head. Redirecting your available field of view is an additional skill that needs to be developed to take full advantage of the simulation, but is well worth the effort and eventually becomes second nature (i.e., subconscious).

I train simulation-based rating candidates to control the available field of view so as to clear the airspace in advance of and during turns, and to keep the landing area in sight throughout the entire landing pattern. I demonstrated this technique during my presentation at the SSA convention in Reno last week.

If you have Condor, I recently published a tutorial on what I call "Wing-Tip Turning" to my website at "gliderCFI.com". Look under the Condor/Orientation drop-down menu. If you have Skype, I would be happy to demonstrate the technique online. Contact me via the contact link at "gliderCFI.com".

and high
resolution, so you get good distance perception.

Condor's resolution is good enough to provide decent distance perception.

For stall/spin training
the sensations can be overwhelming and a fixed simulator can't deliver
that.

Keep in mind that 75% of the sensory input to your brain is visual. Only 6% is tactile (kinesthetic). Properly employed, even Condor's limited field of view can provide a very effective representation of what is like to enter and recovery from a spin. I have personally experienced, and seen others, getting seriously disoriented in simulation as their brains struggled to deal with the visual images on their monitors. The brain adjusts to the size of the monitor.

===

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,

Scott Manley - 316716CFI-G