Refinish a Glider in Europe

Old November 18th 05, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Refinish a Glider in Europe

Hello Ray,

You are considering alot of effort and funding to transport
two ways for a refurbish of your Ls1c abroad.

Consider.

You will get most bang for your buck by selling your
glider in USA (yes if it is severely in need of refinish
you have to price it accordingly);

Thence take the money gained by sale and put some
with it and buy a fine condition or refinished glider
from Europe (US/EU value is better now) and import
that glider in its modern trailer such as Cobra or
Komet shipped RORO (roll on roll off).

Thereby, you increase the USA glider census by one.
That is a noble service indeed.

As to selling your glider, you shall find someone perfectly
willing to take your Ls1c. It probably flies well,
and you may attest to that in great satisfaction.

Thus, you shall find one who needs a bargain or who
has not realized just what gliders should cost.
They shall take on your glider with delight.

Then later perhaps they will move into it as a refinish
project in great innocence, and do it themself and
with friends.
That is how your glider shall most likely be refinished
cost effectively.

Labor of love, at home, by one who wants to do that.

Tho, do not sell it as a 'rehab needed' project unless
the gelcoat is coming off in chucks and it looks like
tan rough alligator skin.

Let the glider speak for itself but just sell it.
Be truthful. What it is is what it is. It must be
good or you would not be going to all this consideration
of gelcoat or paint refurbishment. Thus, sell its
qualities for what it is.

Clean it up as much as possible, polish it, touch
up cockpit, make it look spiffy, clean up the trailer,
and put it out for sale with photos on WingsandWheels.com
and other places including Soaring Magazine. Sale
shall happen if you choose to do so.

Then, with you having put together your funds gained
from sale and additional to the extent you may, you
shall seek good glider in Europe. Thence, shipment
into Jacksonville or Charleston or a Georgia port,
transported by RORO shipping by seatransport companies
that do such pretty regularly. Shipment to southern
ports is pretty frequent, complete with Export Certificate
of Airworthiness.

Good hunting.

Be of good heart,

Jim Culp USA
Asw-20C
GatorCity FL
building a Sonex Tailwheel airplane to fly with six
cyl Jabiru 3300 engine

Old November 18th 05, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Can I put another alternative forward. Why not get a price from
Sailplane services in New Zealand for a regelcoat, they are the
Schemp Hirth Agent for New Zealand.
They operate out of of the home field of the 15meter World Champion
John Coutts ,Ben Flewetts Discus 2 used at the last Worlds was
refinished by them,Terry Delores will know them, email John Roake
he has been steward at a couple of world championships
these are all independent people who can testify to there work quality,
the last time I priced up this they were comparable to european prices.
Advantages are that the work can be done in your off season and and
as a bonus you can pick the glider up in New Zealand and fly at Omarama
then ship it back.
gary

Old November 18th 05, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

With a refinish job running around $10k, and transport to and from
Elbonia going at $6k, I'm starting to think that the HP-24 is going to
give a lot of old ASW-20s, Discii and Ventii a run for the money!

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Old November 18th 05, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gary,

You must have me mistaken for Bill Gates! (Of course,
he wouldn't refinish, he would just buy a factory and
have them make a few new gliders...)

Shipping from the east coast of the USA to New Zealand
would cost a mint, I'm guessing. And I don't have
the vacation time necessary to make the trip myself.
Although I would love to visit New Zealand and Australia,
there's a lot of America and Canada I've never seen.

If (that is a BIG IF) I refinish the glider and if
I send it out of America to eastern Europe, I would
think shipping it there rather to Down Under would
be quite a bit less expensive.

And to Bob: My understanding is a refinish, including
cockpit refinishing, is less than $10,000, for my Standard
Class LS1-d.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old November 19th 05, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We're looking forward to your November update !
See ya, Dave

Refinish Glider in Europe Ray Lovinggood Soaring 3 November 19th 05 08:27 PM
exporting a glider from USA to Europe [email protected] Soaring 1 December 17th 04 10:00 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM