IFR enroute

Old July 10th 03, 03:53 PM
Ron Natalie

Default IFR enroute

"Greg Goodknight" wrote in message thlink.net...
Garmin 430/530 and King KLN-94 have integral annunciation.

Otherwise, it's my understanding the annunicators need to be added.

Anybody know anything abou tthe new UPSAT combo box (430-killer)?

Old July 10th 03, 06:11 PM
Ron Natalie

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message m...

"paul k. sanchez" wrote in message ...
Anybody know anything abou tthe new UPSAT combo box (430-killer)?

Ron:
What are your questions on it? www.upsat.com has the approved operation manaul
and the install manual available for download.

I'll look there. Mostly I was curious if it requires annunciators. Panel space is tight
(which is the whole point of me looking at the 430 or the UPSAST box). The stuff
looks good enough that I'm thinking about abandoning my current grudge against
the compnay.

Cute, for those curious and too lazy to do so, it doesn't require any annunciators
provided it's installed somewhere close to the CDI (a regular radio stack relationship
to the HSI looks well within rnage). It otherwise can drive external annunciators.

The Installation manual block diagram shows it intefacing to the normal UPSAT
nav com as well (presumably it's database can be used to prime frequencies
or something). I can't find anything in my perusal of the various manuals on
how that works.

Old July 10th 03, 06:46 PM
paul k. sanchez

Cute, for those curious and too lazy to do so, it doesn't require any
annunciators provided it's installed somewhere close to the CDI (a regular
radio stack relationship to the HSI looks well within rnage). It otherwise
can drive external annunciators.

The Installation manual block diagram shows it intefacing to the normal UPSAT

nav com as well (presumably it's database can be used to prime frequencies or
something). I can't find anything in my perusal of the various manuals on
how that works.

Ron:
Please note on page 9 of the SL30 nav/com manual on how to recall frequencies
(nav or com) from a remote unit (gxXX, cnx80, etc).

What happens is when you are in the COM or NAV mode on the SL30, press SEL.
First choice are the remote frequencies available from the gxXX series or
cnx80, turn the small knob to scroll thru, press ENT to put in STBY mode or
press --/-- to make active frequency.

To be sure it is critical of the installation that both harnesses (for the
gxXX, cnx80 and the sl30) be wired for this feature, and both units be set up
software wise to know that the other exists. I was extremely disappointed with
one shop's installation work. The only thing they had done correctly was
voltage and outside antenna. No correct wiring for rs-232, no correct harness
for the CDI, annunciator, etc.

I had to read the installation manuals and take the aircraft to another shop to
finish the work.

paul k. sanchez, cfii-mei
on eagles’ wings
2011 south perimeter road, suite g