"What if" questions regarding TSR.2, Avro Arrow

Old January 27th 04, 07:54 PM
John Mullen

Jack wrote:

On 1/27/04 12:11 PM, in article , "Keith
Willshaw" wrote:

...would probably [have] prevented the American civil
war since slavery would have been abolished in the south
in the 1830's as it was elsewhere in the Empire.

I think you give too little weight to the same factors which made it
necessary a generation later.

Abolition may have precipitated a revolution and break from England

It's 'Britain'

as
taxation and other grievances did two generations earlier.

John

Old January 27th 04, 09:07 PM
Jack

On 1/27/04 1:54 PM, in article ,
"John Mullen" wrote:

Jack wrote:

Abolition may have precipitated a revolution and break from England

It's 'Britain'

Oh, do go on with the lesson, Mr. Mullen.

No doubt you are about to tell us something like:

"Britain is a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most
of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and
Wales and Northern Ireland."

Seems, though that the government is in England, is it not? I could as well
have said "London", since London is the seat of government, the home of the
royal family and is at the heart of British business and financial life, and
was so, I suppose, since well before 1776.

Such a pity that "Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland" were never quite
able to get out from underneath, too.

-------
Jack
-------

Old January 27th 04, 09:42 PM
Keith Willshaw

Willshaw" wrote:

...would probably [have] prevented the American civil
war since slavery would have been abolished in the south
in the 1830's as it was elsewhere in the Empire.

I think you give too little weight to the same factors which made it
necessary a generation later.

Abolition may have precipitated a revolution and break from England as
taxation and other grievances did two generations earlier.

Perhaps but I doubt it, the main market for their products
was Britain and the Conferederates dream was to get
Britain (and France) to recognise them as an independent
nation and use the RN to break the union blockade.

None of that is even remotely possible and if anything
the anti-slavery movement in the North would probably
be even stronger and a Confederacy that didnt include
Texas would be somewhat weaker.

Keith