It's winter ....

Old December 11th 18, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default It's winter ....

At 16:57 11 December 2018, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 8:24:51 AM UTC-6,

Here is a beautiful, over 50 year old film made by the National Film

Board of Canada featuring some of the top performing gliders of the

day
(Std. Austria SH-1, Sisu and HP-11).

https://www.nfb.ca/film/flight/

Any idea which Sisu went to Canada and then came back?

Steve Leonard

The good old days when you could fly out of Banff Airstrip before the
Enviro-Facists in Parks Canada tried to close it down.

Old December 11th 18, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Saturday, December 8, 2018 at 12:06:26 AM UTC-5, AS wrote:
.... and contrary to some other recent video suggestions, this one is actually soaring related! :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrnis7-hvJE

Uli
'AS

In 1969 I had an interesting experience flying my HP 11a RNN
in Banff making a film . Holding a 16mm movie camera in the cockpit and flying
a ridge, is something I would not do now. But flying out of the Banff strip
was exciting and the scenery spectacular. With Bernie Palfreeman in his Diamant, I flew down the Bow river valley to an airstrip beside the
highway.
The photographer failed to complete the film and went bankrupt.
I think the CBC acquired the film and it was showed.
Maybe someone can track it down.

John Firth no longer a bold pilot!
Old December 11th 18, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nice movie - best enjoyed muted! What on earth was the sound-guy responsible for this production smoking??

Uli
'AS'

I believe that was a metric soundtrack.
Old December 12th 18, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, 11 December 2018 14:18:10 UTC-5, wrote:
Nice movie - best enjoyed muted! What on earth was the sound-guy responsible for this production smoking??

Uli
'AS'

I believe that was a metric soundtrack.

Actually, the film was made well before Canada moved to the metric system ;-)
Old December 12th 18, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
teck48[_2_]

Wow. I’m a videographer. Given the technology, the amount of effort and skill it took to make this is impressive. Just the picture quality is startling given its age. Thanks for the link!
Old December 12th 18, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Friesen

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 9:06:26 PM UTC-8, AS wrote:
.... and contrary to some other recent video suggestions, this one is actually soaring related! :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrnis7-hvJE

Uli
'AS'

V-Tails Rule!

The National Film Board has done some good work. The reflections in the pond are classic NFB.

Another good example, aviation related, is 'Blake', by famous canoeist Bill Mason of his paddling partner Blake James.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/blake/
Old December 12th 18, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 17:52:25 -0800, Bruce Friesen wrote:

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 9:06:26 PM UTC-8, AS wrote:
.... and contrary to some other recent video suggestions, this one is
actually soaring related! :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrnis7-hvJE

Uli 'AS'

V-Tails Rule!

The National Film Board has done some good work. The reflections in the
pond are classic NFB.

Agreed - I always thought "180 is Max" was great -and gives a pretty
good idea of what a top level free flight competition is like despite the
low resolution of the copy on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG9fljQGK5Yod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF3Gxft_biQ

.... but I think its a copy of a copy. IIRC the first time I saw it the
images were quite sharp, but this copy is still good enough for me to
recognise old friends.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old December 12th 18, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 5:54:21 AM UTC-7, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

F5J Electric RC

Pilots are penalized .5 points for each meter during launch up to 200 meters after which a 3 point per meter penalty is applied. No motor run is allowed after 30 seconds. Max flight is 10 minutes with up to 50 landing points awarded. Go over 10 minutes and you loose any landing points.

The F5j sailplanes are very high tech. Most now are molded all carbon with 4 meter spans weighting 1200-1300 grams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBaUBdsUjSU
Old December 12th 18, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 06:23:18 -0800, Mike C wrote:

F5J Electric RC

Interesting - don't know anything about F5J, but have watched F5B and F5F
models flown. F5B are about the most scary models I've been close to.

F5J is interesting and, now I've found and read them, a most interesting
set of rules. Thanks for posting about it.

I am/was primarily a free flight guy. Competed at all levels in F1A (FAI
towline gliders) plus 1/2A (small power models - 0.8cc/.049 cu.in. glo
motors) and F1J (FAI small power models - 1.0cc glo motors).

The F5J idea of penalising climb heights is especially interesting,
particularly as in the F1 classes we're having problems with model
performance exceeding the space available inside flying fields and with
no acceptable ways of limiting performance suggested so far.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org