Charlie Spratt

Old December 8th 05, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Charlie Spratt

I just got the message below this morning from Karl. What a shame for our
old buddy Charlie. It's not like he doesn't have a few other health
problems. I thought his many friends would want to know. I'll try to make
another post when I find a way we can send him a "cheer up holiday" message.
Ed Byars

Townley (Charlie's sister) just called to say Charlie fell and fractured his
arm yesterday. She said it is a serious break and that he is drugged up and
waiting for surgery at the hospital. His private phone is off the hook so I
don't know more.
Stay tuned. KS

Old December 8th 05, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Latest info as of Thur PM
Folks,

Charlie Spratt's sister called Tuesday to relay the information that
the Gate took a fall on Tuesday that shattered his left shoulder. He
will be in the hospital for the next 10 or so days getting in condition
for a shoulder "rebuild." He is uncomfortable because of the pain that
comes from any movement. His left arm is strapped to his body.

Part of the reason for remaining in the hospital is that he can no
longer do his dialysis on his own.

I asked him about phone calls and he said there was so much effort
required to answer that he would prefer no calls. If you want to send
him a card the hospital address is: Carolinas Medical Center

1000 Blythe Avenue

Charlotte, NC 28203

Old December 9th 05, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you would like to send a card, the post office box is a method
preferred by the hospital.

Charlie Spratt
patient - 11 Tower
Carolinas Medical Center
P O Box 32861
Charlotte, NC 28232-2861

Regards,
Jayne

Old December 12th 05, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Latest relayed by KS
All,

Charlie's sister called yesterday with an update. Before the doctors
can install a new shoulder there needs to be some natural bone healing,
and that requires some weeks. Charlie is anxious to leave the hospital
and the hospital believes some sort of assisted care is required.

Townley (sister) said she could do some of the care, such as the
once-a-day hook up of the dialysis equipment, but she works and Charlie
will need help with other activities throughout the day. What form this
takes hasn't been worked out.

If you haven't sent off a card yet, his home address might be the
better destination:

Charlie Spratt
1431 Montford Road
Charlotte, NC 28209

Old December 12th 05, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

OK, soaring pilots and fans: one of the most-beloved figures in
soaring, Charlie Spratt, needs some help from his friends...and at a
time of year when most of us are caught up in our own holiday
celebrations.

I assume there's some behind-the-scenes plan being mobilized right now
but it might help KS, UH, and the local folks in Charlotte if they knew
what they had to work with. Whether it's Charlotte-area people to help
provide care or act as host (I assume Charlie should not be too far
away from the hospital), or fund raising, let KS or UH know what you
can do to help. This sounds like a case where we need to cast the net
pretty widely.

And KS/UH, let us know whom we should contact to offer help. It would
be great if one person could play a coordination role.

Chip Bearden
--------------------------------------

Old December 13th 05, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

About 6 weeks ago, staying in CLT on a business trip, I took Charlie
out to dinner one night.
We talked a lot - gliders, model airplanes, people in soaring, etc
and when I asked him why he didn't make it to the Octoberfest at
Chilhowee this year, his answer was that a good friend in Atlanta
needed his help.
His friend fell and broke a leg, in a cast down from hip to toe, not
being able to do anything, Charlie - as we all know back on dialysis,
loaded up his van with a week long supply of dialysis bags and
medication drove down to Atlanta to support his friend.

That's a side of Charlie not too many people know, letting go of a
fun soaring weekend for someone who is in need of help. Not only he
needs, but I think he truly deservers our support.

Just wanted to share
PF

Old December 14th 05, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

12/14
Latest info via KS this AM
Chaz will be moving to a rehab facility for a while to let some bone
healing'
happen before installation of shoulder joint.
He is the usual Charlie, making the best of stuff. Apparently the pain
killers he is on
are very emtertaining. He told Karl that when he saw the flower
pot(think that's what it was) in his room errupting in smoke, he hit
the fire alarm. Turns out it was and hullicination.
Can't wait for his next book which should be about his adventurews in
the health care
world. Will be a best seller.
He is enjoying cards so keep sending to his home- they will get to
where he is.
Charlie hopes to be ready for the Seniors and plans his usual schedule
in '06.
At this time, no indication of a need for financial support, however,
if this changes, one of us will get the word out.
Meantime- keep the cards comin'.
UH