777 Hell in Chicago

Old August 6th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Default 777 Hell in Chicago

Sam Spade wrote in news:Xu1Bg.489$0F5.416@fed1read04:

tscottme wrote:

I had a recent such experience on Southwest at Phoenix and they didn't
even have the courtesy to provide any explanation. But, it distracted
the flight attendants sufficiently that they didn't give the cabin
safety announcement until after takeoff (a clear and blatant FAR
violation).

And as a result, everyone in the cabin left their seatbelts off until the
crew explained how to operate them. The risk to everyone on the plane and on
the ground, not to mention national security, was out of control.

I'm surprised it didn't make national news.

What I'd really like to know is, when exactly did they start putting floats
on airliners? ("... In the event of a Water Landing, your seat cushion may be
used as a floatation device...")
Old August 6th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

tscottme wrote:

I had a recent such experience on Southwest at Phoenix and they didn't
even have the courtesy to provide any explanation. But, it distracted
the flight attendants sufficiently that they didn't give the cabin
safety announcement until after takeoff (a clear and blatant FAR
violation).

And as a result, everyone in the cabin left their seatbelts off until the
crew explained how to operate them. The risk to everyone on the plane and on
the ground, not to mention national security, was out of control.

You obviously have never been involved in Part 121 operations. And, you
probably ignore the safety announcements because you realize that is
just for the little people.

Old August 8th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Judah wrote:
What I'd really like to know is, when exactly did they start putting floats
on airliners? ("... In the event of a Water Landing, your seat cushion may be
used as a floatation device...")

"Well, imagine that, my seat cusion!.... just what I need: to float
around the North Atlantic for several days, clinging to a pillow full
of beer farts" - George Carlin

Old August 8th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Andrey Serbinenko wrote:
"Well, imagine that, my seat cusion!.... just what I need: to float
around the North Atlantic for several days, clinging to a pillow full
of beer farts" - George Carlin

After the successful ditching of a great big jet into the ocean, an
event as unlikely as winning the lottery.

Something's telling me that after such an event there'd be a lot more
in that seat cusion...

I noticed the smiley

Old August 12th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Sam Spade wrote in news:LKmBg.541$0F5.227@fed1read04:

You obviously have never been involved in Part 121 operations. And, you

That depends on your definition of involved. I have more hours flying Part
121 flights than I do flying Part 91. But not as PIC, only as passenger. And
even that is only because I started flying Part 121 when I was 6 months old,
and didn't start flying part 91 until I was about 30.

probably ignore the safety announcements because you realize that is
just for the little people.

Your conclusions are completely inaccurate. How could I ever know the safety
announcements by heart if I was ignoring them?

And which little people are you referring to? The little people under the
stairs, or the little people who are the only ones left that actually still
fit in the seats?
Old August 18th 06, 10:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Judah wrote:

Sam Spade wrote in news:LKmBg.541$0F5.227@fed1read04:

You obviously have never been involved in Part 121 operations. And, you

That depends on your definition of involved. I have more hours flying Part
121 flights than I do flying Part 91. But not as PIC, only as passenger. And
even that is only because I started flying Part 121 when I was 6 months old,
and didn't start flying part 91 until I was about 30.

My definition of involved means being employed ub 121 flight operations
where you hear folks like you who say they have all the instruction they
need to safely participate in an emergency evacuation.

probably ignore the safety announcements because you realize that is
just for the little people.

Your conclusions are completely inaccurate. How could I ever know the safety
announcements by heart if I was ignoring them?

They vary by type of aircraft. I was in the business for 27 years and
when I rode as a passenger on aircraft on which I was not trained and
qualified I would have to refer to the seat pocket card to really
understand what the evacuation would be like on that aircraft type.

Old August 19th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

Sam Spade wrote in news:m_fFg.2981$cw.1193@fed1read03:

Judah wrote:

Sam Spade wrote in

You obviously have never been involved in Part 121 operations. And,
you

That depends on your definition of involved. I have more hours flying
Part 121 flights than I do flying Part 91. But not as PIC, only as
passenger. And even that is only because I started flying Part 121 when
I was 6 months old, and didn't start flying part 91 until I was about
30.

My definition of involved means being employed ub 121 flight operations
where you hear folks like you who say they have all the instruction they
need to safely participate in an emergency evacuation.

I've never made such a claim. Quite the opposite, in fact. I do not
believe that I could ever get enough training to ensure my safe emergency
evacuation of an Airliner, especially from a pocket card or a 60 second
taxi brief. I am not convinced that 80-250 panicked passengers could
realistically be evacuated safely in a true emergency, except with calm
and controlled direction from a well-trained crew.

probably ignore the safety announcements because you realize that is
just for the little people.

Your conclusions are completely inaccurate. How could I ever know the
safety announcements by heart if I was ignoring them?

They vary by type of aircraft. I was in the business for 27 years and
when I rode as a passenger on aircraft on which I was not trained and
qualified I would have to refer to the seat pocket card to really
understand what the evacuation would be like on that aircraft type.

If it will make you feel better, my cynical sense of humor is in fact
backed by the fact that I generally do pay enough attention to either the
briefing or the pocket card to determine the specifics requirements in an
emergency. Whether I must use my seat cushion, or whether there is a life
vest under my seat; whether the oxygen masks will deploy automatically, or
whether I need to retrieve them and plug them in myself; and most
importantly, where the nearest emergency exit is, even if it is behind me.

However, I have yet to be on an airliner where anyone found any use in the
extensive description of how to operate a seatbelt, especially considering
the fact that the crew requires all passengers to be seated with their
seatbelts fastened before doing the briefing...

And I still strongly suspect that in the event of a "water landing"
neither life vest nor seat cushion is going to help me...
Old August 19th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Judah wrote:

And I still strongly suspect that in the event of a "water landing"
neither life vest nor seat cushion is going to help me...

You have that one right. ;-)

Having said that, evacuations can be quite successful with aborted
takeoff and landing overshoots, like the one in Canada..was it last year?

Crew training is predicated on a moderatly damaged aircraft, where most
passengers are still able-bodied, and there is about 2 to 3 minutes
before fire and smoke take over.

Thermals in hell 01-- Zero One Soaring 5 May 26th 05 02:11 PM
FAA Goes after Chicago on Meigs Orval Fairbairn General Aviation 46 October 5th 04 11:46 AM
circumnavigating Chicago Class B Neil Bratney Piloting 20 September 19th 04 04:18 AM
Run-in with Chicago Center Jay Honeck Piloting 93 August 24th 04 04:53 PM