Home machining

Old August 16th 09, 07:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

Default Home machining

Anthony W wrote:
Flash wrote:
Lately the signal to noise ratio has gone sour, but

rec,crafts.metalworking

has been pretty fair, too. Lots of knowledgeable people still there,
but an increasing number of cross-posters dump on it, too. Just have
to look and ignore some threads, posters.

Flash

I tried that group for a few day and I found it not worth the insanity...

Tony

There are about 6 guys that have to be filtered out.
Then it gets back to usable...
Old August 16th 09, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
R[_2_]

Peter Dohm wrote:
Of course, I have kept a list of the above forum locations; and I am curious
if anyone happens to know the present cost of setting up that sort of CNC
system for the cores in something like a Vari-Eze.

Peter

Along with Practical Machinist's, and Chaski's Home Machinist, CNC
sections, add for homebrew CNC:
CNCzone.com
http://www.cnczone.com/
A group to monitor, if you are interested in developing a homebrew CNC
machine to mill or cut out your next skychaser.
The cost depends on your own vision of the machine, the task, and your
expected production.

Old August 16th 09, 12:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 02:28:40 GMT, Anthony W
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a good forum for home machine work? Not the news
group, that's a madhouse...

Tony

Tony you could always post your questions here.
there are a few knowledgeable builders here believe it or not.

Stealth Pilot
Old August 16th 09, 12:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
R[_2_]

R wrote:
add for homebrew CNC:
CNCzone.com
http://www.cnczone.com/

OOPs!
link direct to the forums page:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/index.php

Homebrew CNC machine's costs are determined by how good you can scrounge.
Old August 16th 09, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim[_8_]

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message
"R" wrote in message
Anthony W wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good forum for home machine work? Not the news
group, that's a madhouse...

Tony

The Home Machinist
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/

If you have some metalworking or machining experience this group has the
most expertise. They do not tolerate well inane questions from wannabes.
A wealth of knowledge can be gained by, even, lurking here.

Practical Machinist
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/

Looking at this thread makes me just a little curious whether the
relationship of cost and capability may have brought the CNC
routing/milling process to make precision foam cores--such as used in the
Vari-Eze and its derivatives--within reasonable reach of the home builder.
The hot wire method worked reasonably well in its day; but was limited to
certain types of foam and also resulted in a slight sag in the shape of
the resulting parts.

Of course, I have kept a list of the above forum locations; and I am
curious if anyone happens to know the present cost of setting up that sort
of CNC system for the cores in something like a Vari-Eze.

Peter

It seems to me it's still about software for inputting the image and
generating the G code. There have been home brew stepper systems around for
years that would meet the requirements, but software still seems to be the
tough part. Seems it's all either too expensive or lacks function.

Old August 16th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

Anthony W wrote:
Flash wrote:
Lately the signal to noise ratio has gone sour, but

rec,crafts.metalworking

has been pretty fair, too. Lots of knowledgeable people still there,
but an increasing number of cross-posters dump on it, too. Just have
to look and ignore some threads, posters.

Flash

I tried that group for a few day and I found it not worth the insanity...

Tony

It was quite a few years ago that I mentioned the use of 6061 alloy in
aircraft, and was consistently abused and sneered at by some kind of
free lance tech writer, for not knowing that 2024 was the ONLY aerospace
aluminum alloy then in use. So I gave up on it....

Brian W
Old August 16th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Stealth Pilot wrote:
Tony you could always post your questions here.
there are a few knowledgeable builders here believe it or not.

Stealth Pilot

Actually I do believe it. This is the primary reason I hang out here.

Right now I'm looking to undertake a project that will require that I
buy a lathe and I my next step is to choose one that is worth the 500 or
600 bucks I can scrape up to pay for it...

Tony
Old August 17th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bildan

On Aug 15, 7:10*pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"R" wrote in message

Anthony W wrote:
[...]

Back in the '80's I was allowed to watch a huge CNC machine at Martin
Marietta in Waterton, CO carve a Learjet wing out of an enormous
aluminum billet. When finished, it was complete right down to 6-32
tapped holes.

I've kicked around a "wing machine" idea for years. My idea was to
cut female molds and then build the aircraft using standard wet layup
composite techniques.
Old August 17th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 17:14:52 GMT, Anthony W
wrote:

Stealth Pilot wrote:
Tony you could always post your questions here.
there are a few knowledgeable builders here believe it or not.

Stealth Pilot

Actually I do believe it. This is the primary reason I hang out here.

Right now I'm looking to undertake a project that will require that I
buy a lathe and I my next step is to choose one that is worth the 500 or
600 bucks I can scrape up to pay for it...

Tony

I'm a lousy dentist.
what's the project?

Stealth Pilot
Old August 17th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 11:52:48 -0500, brian whatcott
wrote:

Anthony W wrote:
Flash wrote:
Lately the signal to noise ratio has gone sour, but

rec,crafts.metalworking

has been pretty fair, too. Lots of knowledgeable people still there,
but an increasing number of cross-posters dump on it, too. Just have
to look and ignore some threads, posters.

Flash

I tried that group for a few day and I found it not worth the insanity...

Tony

It was quite a few years ago that I mentioned the use of 6061 alloy in
aircraft, and was consistently abused and sneered at by some kind of
free lance tech writer, for not knowing that 2024 was the ONLY aerospace
aluminum alloy then in use. So I gave up on it....

Brian W

thats why we like aeroplanes and not aerospace.
.....like aerospace is waaaaay out there man.

but in aeroplanes we get to play with 3003, 5005, 2011, 6061 and lotsa
kool stuff that cant be used in aerospace.
hell yesterday I even machined some god awful steel component and made
it look pretty. I replaced a worn spinner support in 1214.
we have lots more fun in aeroplanes.

....they dont even have propellers in aerospace. how backward is that!

I've even got brass nuts I made myself on my aeroplane.

but you hafta admit that aerospace has way cooler x-prizes.
there is one for a home made space vehicle plonked on the moon with a
home made rocket. you hafta remotely drive up to some expensive nasa
thingy on the moon and spray graffiti on it. I think thats what the
task is...

(I think the problems I'm having with my truss fuselage are tipping me
over the edge :-) ohhhhhh bugger column bending. why cant you just
build things heavy )

Stealth (it looked easy) Pilot