GOAT ASW20

Old January 2nd 21, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default GOAT ASW20

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 8:32:16 PM UTC-5, 5Z wrote:
On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 5:49:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
By comparison The ASW27 was released in 1997 with 237 produced units and the LS6 came along in
1983 with 375 produced units.
Having owned or flown all the mentioned gliders I would say that the ASW20 was the Greatest Of All Time
and even today has survived the test of time, very gracefully I might add.
How would you rate the GOAT? Bob

Don't forget that the ASG-29 is really a ASW-27-18. So it's catching up to the ASW-20 numbers.

Given a choice, I'd take the '27 over a '20. But if I had a nice '20, it would be hard to justify paying to upgrade to the '27. I went from a ASW-20b, to a ASH-26E, and now own a ASW-27b. All wonderful ships.

5Z

If you combine production of the 27 and the 29 the production number is less than half of the ASW20's produced. I had a new 20 back in the late 70's wish I had it back, and the old girl is still flying. Today I have a 27B, very nice ship , I am looking for a 29 pure glider, just have a hard time saying motorglider. Just taking a look at the tale of time the 20 gracefully sit atop the podium.
Old January 2nd 21, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 7:49:51 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Modern sailplanes have evolved through the years and many older have lasted the test of time. During the 1970's Schelicher produced what I call the, "Greatest Of All Time", the ASW20. Production began around 1977 and immediately sailplane pilots were joining the ranks of owning the sleek beautiful glider. The early models, incorporated a wonderful flap system that allowed the pilot to land in places that were usually out of reach for other sailplanes. Dragging that 20 in with those full landing flaps was truly impressive. Some had problems with the flaps, yes they were to be respected and if used improperly could and did result in deadly accidents.
There were over 900 ASW20's built including wing extension models know as the L. The early models were fantastic to fly, offering a floppy wing as we consider called it, which was impressive to watch during pull up from most any speed. Later models were changed to a lesser flap configuration and much stiffer wings.
In comparison, the other most competitive 15 meter ship was the LS3, which was released in 1976, total production numbers were 429. This was a great flying glider but lacked the success of the ASW20.
By comparison The ASW27 was released in 1997 with 237 produced units and the LS6 came along in 1983 with 375 produced units.
Having owned or flown all the mentioned gliders I would say that the ASW20 was the Greatest Of All Time and even today has survived the test of time, very gracefully I might add.
How would you rate the GOAT? Bob

I had two 20's, starting with an early one and then a 20C.
The 20 leaves little to be desired in terms of performance. handling, and ease of use. It also had some very good safety features including
a real wheel brake, energy absorbing gear, and a strong cockpit design. Safety was enhanced in the next generation by the cockpit structure of the '24 that won Waibel may awards and led the industry.
Others I would consider for GOAT:
Ka6 series. Wonderful flying characteristics and very good performance for the time.
SH Discus. Modern glass with excellent handing and performance. A glider that is both suitable for first single seater and good enough to be a glider for a lifetime.
Happy New Year to all
UH
Old January 2nd 21, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote on 1/2/2021 5:06 AM:
[...]

If you loved the 20, and now have the closest thing to it in the ASW27B, why are you looking
for a 29? The ASH26E and the ASW27 came out at the same time in 1994, and I bought a 26E
because the 27 was never going to have a motor.

Old January 2nd 21, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

The best gliders are the ones you wear like an old leather jacket.

T8

Old January 2nd 21, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Looking at the Worldwide OLC this morning the highest score is a ASw 20 in Australia.
Not bad for a 40 + yr old ship.
I owned serial Number 13 for several years.
Nick
Old January 2nd 21, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 8:50:15 AM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
[...]

I also own an ASW24, although my wife flies it most of the time, I concur, it is an excellent flying sailplane and very underrated. Eileen has also owned the Ka6 and recently sold it to a club member, it was an excellent pre glass glider. I have a photo in my scrapbook in a high G pull from a high speed pass in my old 20, and the wing flex is impressive.
Someone asked why I would like to have a 29, only because of the 18 meter wing. If I had my old 20 back I would send it to Europe have it completely redone in urethane and make a few guys scratch their heads.
Old January 2nd 21, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 3:32:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Also the 20 was more highly produced than the Ventus, almost by 1/3. The 20 flew much better and the ride was much better.
Old January 3rd 21, 07:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Me

On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 2:22:12 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

but you can buy a Ventus B for 2/3rds the price, maybe less, and it goes faster , has automatic hookups and wing tanks not bags.
Old January 3rd 21, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Conspicuously missing from this thread, up until that last post is the Ventus. I think if you look at WGC statistics you will see that the Ventus has more wins than the 20.

I had a 20 in the 90's, nice ship, great flaps and a joy to fly. I then moved to an LS6b, it was nicer to fly than the 20 and closer to ASW-27 performance than was the 20. The LS was better coordinated with a higher roll rate than the 20. It did take me some time to learn the feel of the LS6's stiff carbon wing after years of flying the floppy 20 wings.

So , while I might not call the 20 "the greatest", it certainly was one of the great gliders of its day and has provided thousands of hours of enjoyment to pilots world-wide.
Old January 3rd 21, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 11:54:31 AM UTC-5, Dave Springford wrote:
Conspicuously missing from this thread, up until that last post is the Ventus. I think if you look at WGC statistics you will see that the Ventus has more wins than the 20.

I had a 20 in the 90's, nice ship, great flaps and a joy to fly. I then moved to an LS6b, it was nicer to fly than the 20 and closer to ASW-27 performance than was the 20. The LS was better coordinated with a higher roll rate than the 20. It did take me some time to learn the feel of the LS6's stiff carbon wing after years of flying the floppy 20 wings.

So , while I might not call the 20 "the greatest", it certainly was one of the great gliders of its day and has provided thousands of hours of enjoyment to pilots world-wide.

Dave, I flew my 20 for over a thousand hours, E9 and I both had 20"s along with E8 and EA, every day was a joy to fly the 20, mine was the original floppy wing 20L. Both E9 and EA could not keep up with that ole floppy monster. Bennie Flowers bought a new Ventus and still could not keep up with the 20. I never had a problem with the roll rate of the 20, it rolled just fine.. The Ventus that Bennie had almost killed him , myself and a guy named Gary. That dang glider would automatically deploy the spoilers when near VNE, it happened to me and to Bennie as well.
Not taking away from the Ventus performance, but the difference in wins was the pilot, if those guys had been flying in the 20 the results would have probably been different. I still say it is the GOAT!
Come down to Vero this spring, I promise a great time. Bob

ASW20 For sale [email protected] Soaring 0 September 13th 15 11:45 PM
ASW20 or LS6 binks Soaring 73 November 10th 14 06:02 PM
Eagle and goat go for a flight Brad[_2_] Soaring 10 April 28th 08 10:52 PM
Foamy, Were You Born In The Year Of The Goat? Michael Baldwin, Bruce Products 0 June 4th 07 02:01 AM
Mountain Goat Denny Piloting 1 December 23rd 04 07:12 AM