Possible future legal problems with "SOARING"

Old September 25th 04, 03:54 AM
Bob Thompson

Default Possible future legal problems with "SOARING"

I tried to post this on the RAS earlier, but haven't seen it pop up, so =
thought I'd give it a 2nd try:

A feature article in the Durango Herald newspaper (Durango, Colorado) =
this morning (9/24/04) about a very pricey 5 star resort north of town, =
Tall Timber, really caught my attention: =20

Tall Timber now offers an "extreme sport" of Peter Pan-like zipping down =
through the trees hanging from a wire that they call "Soaring"... and =
they have their lawyers "busily filing for patents and the COPYRIGHT TO =
THE NAME of SOARING". This is a VERY exclusive resort, dealing mostly =
with millionaires and billionaires. The place is SO exclusive, there =
are not even any roads to it. Access is mostly by helicopter.... =
usually taking off from right next to the client's private jets at the =
Durango airport. With clientele like theirs I'd expect they have =
equally pricey and effective lawyers. =20

If they get this copyright our sport, the name of the SSA, SOARING =
magazine, the name of the ASA, the name of Turf Soaring, Arizona =
Soaring, Cumulus Soaring, Honolulu Soaring, Knauff and Grove Soaring, =
etc. may well have to be liscensed from these folks in the future. =
Lawsuites concerning "copyrighted names" are becoming very commomnplace =
these days.
=20
I'd say this is something that the SSA leadership, and perhaps a batch =
of "soaring" lawyer pilots would want to look into pronto. Better to =
become aware of something during the process of formulation than after =
the fact.

see the folowing url: =
http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin...ticle_type=3D=
out&article_path=3D/outdoors/out040924.htm

Bob Thompson
19

Old September 25th 04, 08:44 PM
Ian Johnston

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:54:55 UTC, Bob Thompson
wrote:

: Tall Timber now offers an "extreme sport" of Peter Pan-like zipping down =
: through the trees hanging from a wire that they call "Soaring"... and =
: they have their lawyers "busily filing for patents and the COPYRIGHT TO =
: THE NAME of SOARING".

There's nothing in UK copyright law to stop different companies using
the same trademark for different products. Isn't it the same over
there?

Ian

Old September 26th 04, 11:48 AM
Larry Goddard

Yes, it is the same here in the US.

Trademark, not patent or copyright, is the only pertinent issue in this matter.
There are two tests that a trademark must meet: 1) it cannot be 'merely
descriptive' nor deceptively mis-descriptive, and 2) it should not cause
confusion in the marketplace.

Even if they are able to persuade the Patent and Trademark Office to initially
issue a trademark for "Soaring", they could only go after people who were
letting people slide down wires to keep them from also using "Soaring" as a name
of the competing sport. And even then, Tall Timber probably could probably not
win in court because it is a weak trademark in that it is "merely descriptive or
deceptively misdescriptive".

Larry Goddard
"Zero One"