Need a new axle for my eberle trailer ....

Old July 20th 18, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Deane[_2_]

Default Need a new axle for my eberle trailer ....

Hi All

My Std Cirrus trailer (eberle) needs a new torsion axle with a handbrake... cant find one in US? Any one else had this problem ?

Hoping there is some experience on sourcing one of these ...

Help much appreciated

Peter Deane (2T)
Old July 20th 18, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

You might be able to find a shop that can replace the rubber inside the axle. I am guessing yours has gone "solid" and the only "spring" is in the sidewall of the tires? I just called a local shop here in Wichita, and from a first contact, it sounds like you might be able to take them the axle, they pull it apart, get new rubber torsion blocks, and re-assemble it for you.. Might even be able to change the drop angle and ride height if you wanted to.

Steve Leonard

Old July 20th 18, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 7:58:53 AM UTC-7, Peter Deane wrote:
Hi All

My Std Cirrus trailer (eberle) needs a new torsion axle with a handbrake... cant find one in US? Any one else had this problem ?

Hoping there is some experience on sourcing one of these ...

Help much appreciated

Peter Deane (2T)

Steve has a Pfeiffer trailer using a US built ALKO axle with hydraulic brake, but at the time it was ordered the hand brake option wasn't available. Someone had removed the hand brake from the trailer years before I owned it.
The ALKO order form at their then distributor Axle, Inc in Elkhart included width and position of the flanges, length of axle, drop angle, size of brake, bolt pattern, etc.
Dexter and ALKO are now one company in the USA.
http://www.dexko.com/
Get in touch with them. You won't find mechanical brakes, but the hydraulic with parking brake option should work. Requires a hydraulic actuator to bolt on the trailer tongue. Hopefully the hand brake will work with the existing bits on the tongue.
Jim

Old July 20th 18, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 7:58:53 AM UTC-7, Peter Deane wrote:
Hi All

My Std Cirrus trailer (eberle) needs a new torsion axle with a handbrake.... cant find one in US? Any one else had this problem ?

Hoping there is some experience on sourcing one of these ...

Help much appreciated

Peter Deane (2T)

I'm assuming the challenge is finding the brake hardware. It appears axles are available that could be made to work. I wouldn't expect a direct bolt on replacement, but a good fab shop could make pretty quick work of modifying a new axle. Maybe you could trade Bob K some akaflieg time for welding and engineering. If you were closer to WA, I'd be happy to help.

https://bendtrailers.com/dexter-10-3500lb-torflex-axle/

Craig Funston
Old July 20th 18, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 8:54:52 AM UTC-7, Steve Leonard wrote:
[...]

Electric with parking brake might also work. Parking brake is via mechanical lever on one a friend installed on his Komet trailer. Would require making some brackets to hook the Eberle mechanical actuation system to the parking brake lever, but I suspect it could be done. And then just ignore the electric. But as Jim said, I don't think you will find a pure mechanical brake axle for trailers from a US Source.

Steve Leonard

Wings And Wheels only have ALKO axles with mechanical brakes for Cobras about 1988 or later. Ones with 4-wheeled wing dollies, single-piece metal floor.
Old July 20th 18, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I've got a customer's Eberle at the shop right now, I'll take a look at it this weekend and see if I can offer any advice.

--Bob K.
Old July 20th 18, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 7:58:53 AM UTC-7, Peter Deane wrote:
Hi All

My Std Cirrus trailer (eberle) needs a new torsion axle with a handbrake... cant find one in US? Any one else had this problem ?

Hoping there is some experience on sourcing one of these ...

Help much appreciated

Peter Deane (2T)

Peter,

Go to a trailer sales place and purchase an axle or measure and purchase online. I purchased a Dexter Axle for my Ventus B trailer not to expensive and they will measure the wheel width, match the tire bolt pattern and weld the brackets accordingly.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 20th 18, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, July 20, 2018 at 7:58:53 AM UTC-7, Peter Deane wrote:
Hi All

My Std Cirrus trailer (eberle) needs a new torsion axle with a handbrake.... cant find one in US? Any one else had this problem ?

Hoping there is some experience on sourcing one of these ...

Help much appreciated

Peter Deane (2T)

Had a similar problem with an old, home-built trailer. The axles were separate, half axles with torsion springs. After one repair attempt, I decided to replace the entire undercarriage with a modern, leaf-spring axle and electric brakes. Any good trailer service shop can do this.

Tom
Old July 22nd 18, 05:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Deane[_2_]

Guys - thanks much for the helpful links - Dexter looks a good way to go - we pulled off the wheels and the rubber is totally shot and one wheel is tracking 10 deg off... Ill try and find a good shop to talk to.

Best
2T