(long) WxWorx arrived...

Old September 9th 03, 04:54 PM
Tom S.

Default (long) WxWorx arrived...

"Dan Luke" c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet wrote in message
...at my office yesterday afternoon and, of course, I had to drop

everything
to hook it up and check it out. It consists of the receiver, software,
remote antenna, receiver USB cable, 12vdc power adaptor (optional) and
USB-powered GPS receiver (optional).

The receiver ( http://www.wxworx.com/index.html ) is a domed plastic box
about 7" x 7" x 2". The remote antenna and GPS can be seen he
http://www.wxworx.com/hrdw_accessories.html

Hooking the components together was simple. The software refused to

attempt
a load on my old W98 IBM laptop, but loaded painlessly on an XP desktop.

A lot of complex software says "Don't even THINK of installing this on
95/98/ME". I have a real time stock options program that just about says it
that way.

Old September 10th 03, 12:37 AM
Dan Luke

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
Dan, how are you planning to view the notebook in flight?

It's going to sit in the right seater's lap or on the seat if I'm
solo. If I need to look at it, I'll pick it up and "get the flick."

I tried using a Compaq Presario laptop (marginally bigger than
a notebook) in flight, and found it nearly impossible. There
simply isn't room, unless you have your co-pilot hold it for you.
And then the yoke gets in the way, etc.

Yeah, I once tried hooking a GPS to a cool moving map program on my
IBM laptop, but it was just too big and clunky, and the screen was
damned near invisible in daylight. The Sony promises to be smaller and
brighter. We'll see.

The service sounds cool. What's your estimated monthly cost?

$49.95. I heard somewhere there may be a plan someday for by-the-trip
billing.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM