single pilot ifr trip tonight

Old October 29th 03, 05:28 AM
Guy Elden Jr.

Default single pilot ifr trip tonight

Just got back from a good proficiency practice flight. This was the first
time I'd flown single pilot IFR at night with conditions that could
potentially deteriorate to actual instrument. (cloudy, rain developing as
the flight progressed, visibility dropping somewhat)

The basic rundown... got the plane, preflighted in the dark, and realized
that it was the first time I had actually done a full preflight at night.
All the other night flights I did the preflight at dusk or earlier.
Definitely took me a few extra minutes to get oriented to the darkness and
using my flashlight.

I got through that ok, ready to do, and poof! My flashlight _light_ (not the
batteries) goes out! Just like the bright, microsend flash of illumination
you see from a normal light bulb then total darkness. Crap! Fortunately, I
had a spare light, smaller, but did the job. I was a bit disappointed in the
bulb that burnt out though... it was a Maglight, and barely over a year old
with hardly any use. I'm tempted to send it back to them for a replacement.

Takeoff out of CDW was uneventful, although the controller was a bit pushy
when I wanted to clarify the squawk before departing... she said "You need
to get rolling" after confirming the code was correct... somebody on
downwind was undoubtedly going to plow into me I guess if I didn't hurry
along. Needless to say, I didn't hurry. (I was still holding short, so if
need be could've just continued to hold short, but she (the controller) was
obviously in need of some excitement on a dreary night with barely any
traffic to manage).

So up up and away we go, didn't even have time to make the initial turn to
180 before departure vectored me to SAX. Then enroute to SWF for a practice
ILS.

I noticed before departing that one of the two radio / nav units in the
plane was not functioning... it's one of those that has a primary and
secondary freq, but the display was completely dead, so I decided to just
leave it off. So even before starting the flight, I knew I had only one
working com and one working nav / vor unit operational. No problem, if
things got too heavy, I could just cancel IFR and continue VFR... clouds
were definitely high enough on the way up (around 6000 OVC). As I got closer
to SWF, I tried tuning in the NDB so I could identify an intersection along
the LOC. No dice. I didn't hear the magic morse in the background, and the
needle spun and spun til I got dizzy. Strike two on operational components
in the plane! Still, I managed to get to SWF safely, and taxied off to the
side to get myself setup for the trip back to CDW.

Departure out of SWF was a bit more interesting, as I had to read the SWF.4
departure procedure. Easy to do, and so off I went. Unfortunately, the
routing back home wasn't optimal... was supposed to go out to HUG then turn
south to head to CDW, so I asked for a shortcut to SAX instead. After
getting handed off to NY Approach on 127.6, I had a helluva time hearing a
transmission from the controller. I asked to hear it again, and again, even
with the volume all the way up, it was barely audible. I got the instruction
ok tho... left turn to 170. And fortunately the gremlin in the radio cleared
itself up on the next transmission. But this turns out to have been strike 3
for equipment in the plane... I encountered this problem a couple other
times, fortunately when other pilots were transmitting, and not ATC.

Getting back in to CDW was a bit dicey, as the rain had started to come
down, and the mist was making it difficult to pick out CDW (which is
difficult enough these days anyway with 4/22 being closed for repairs). I
told the controller at one point that I had the beacon in sight, but that
wasn't good enough for him. 2 miles later, I could make out 9/27, so I was
handed off for a visual approach, which wasn't my best approach, but was a
squeaker of a landing.

So to sum up: I had 1 VOR, 1 COM, and no backups in the plane for this trip.
And the COM was flaky toward the end. Methinks this plane is about to be
decommissioned from the flight line, because the owner refuses to put any
more money into it. It also just came out of 100 hour, so should (in theory)
be at its best operating capacity. I know I won't be trying any more trips
at night or IFR in it anytime soon, but I'm glad I had the chance to push
the boundaries a bit with the bare minimums for night IFR flight.

--
Guy Elden Jr.

Old October 29th 03, 07:50 AM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Guy Elden Jr. wrote:
bulb that burnt out though... it was a Maglight, and barely over a year old
with hardly any use. I'm tempted to send it back to them for a replacement.

Maglights used to come with a spare bulb wrapped in a swatch of foam
inside the battery spring.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old November 13th 03, 03:16 AM
Greg

.... and for flying I have
a green LED on my mike boom that I can activate with my lip or keep on with
a switch.

Where did you get that and what is it called? That sounds great!
Also someone used to make a light on a lanyard that could be worn
around your neck...anyone know where you can still buy these?
Old November 13th 03, 06:55 PM
Stan Gosnell

(Greg) wrote in
om:

... and for flying I have
a green LED on my mike boom that I can activate with my lip or keep
on with a switch.

Where did you get that and what is it called? That sounds great!
Also someone used to make a light on a lanyard that could be worn
around your neck...anyone know where you can still buy these?

I bought it in parts at Radio Shack and KMart. All it takes is an LED (get
the highest output numbers you can find, and a narrow focus. I have a
clear lens, green light, but you can get these from Mouser & other places),
a microswitch, a mini slide switch, some wire, and a battery holder. I use
2 AAA batteries mounted with Velcro on top of my headset. I discovered the
need for 2 switches when I tried to file 3 IFR plans in the air at night.
The microswitch activates the light using my lip, when I want momentary
light without using my hands - sometimes essential in a helicopter. The
slide switch keeps the light on without having to use my lip while I'm
talking and reading. The whole thing is held together with moldable epoxy,
which fits over my mike, and held securely with small tie-wraps. Not
beautiful, but it has been working for me for several years. Green is the
best color, IME, because the human eye is most sensitive to green. That's
why NVG images are green. You can see more with less light output.

Wings Aviation in Dothan, AL used to sell liplights, maybe still does, but
all they had when I checked were designed to fit military mikes.

Sporting goods stores sell LED lights that you can wear around your neck,
but you may have to provide your own lanyard. I also have a small green LED
light that I bought at Auto Zone (!!) for a couple of dollars, which I have
attached to my survival vest. Comes in handy for quick looks sometimes.
I've gone almost exclusively to LED lights now. I have a white LED
flashlight with 5 LED's, very bright, that works very well for preflights.
Checking yellow oil in sightglasses under a yellow light can be difficult,
but the white LED shows the level very well, even in sunlight. I have one
flashlight with an incandescent bulb, stuck in my flight bag, just to
satisfy FAA regs, but I never use it.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old November 17th 03, 08:42 PM
EDR

In article , Greg
wrote:

Where did you get that and what is it called? That sounds great!
Also someone used to make a light on a lanyard that could be worn
around your neck...anyone know where you can still buy these?

www.campmor.com
CMG Infinity Light $12.95
Old October 29th 03, 01:33 PM
rip

I carry 6 flashlights, and 4 of them have LED's instead of bulbs. LED's
last forever, and are shockproof. One of my flashlights doesn't even use
batteries. You shake it for about 30 seconds to get about 5 minutes of
light.

Old November 5th 03, 08:49 PM
Ray Andraka

I bought one of those shake it lights, but found the magnet inside it is strong
enough to swing the compass if the light was anywhere forward of the backs
of the front seats. No good for the airplane, and frankly not bright enough for
general use around the house.

rip wrote:

I carry 6 flashlights, and 4 of them have LED's instead of bulbs. LED's
last forever, and are shockproof. One of my flashlights doesn't even use
batteries. You shake it for about 30 seconds to get about 5 minutes of
light.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old October 29th 03, 02:35 PM
Joseph D. Farrell

If it was the female controller I think it is at CDW - she is wound
WAAAY too tight to be a controller for very long . . .

she'd cleared people to land who were ON a short final and then she
clears me to depart - what if they guy goes around? They do it all
the time at big airports, but whats the big deal if I hold for another
20 seconds - this guy was inside a 1/2 mile. [

Then there was the mid air @ CDW a while ago.

your radio and nav problems could have been caused by storng solar and
magnetic storm . . .

Or just an old tired airplane that the FBO does not wantto spend alot
of money on = now you know why safety dictates 2 VOR's and 2 COM's in
addition to anything else!

Joe

Old October 29th 03, 03:21 PM
Roy Smith

"Guy Elden Jr." wrote:
Takeoff out of CDW was uneventful, although the controller was a bit pushy
when I wanted to clarify the squawk before departing... she said "You need
to get rolling" after confirming the code was correct... somebody on
downwind was undoubtedly going to plow into me I guess if I didn't hurry
along.

More likely, the tower was given a small window by NY Approach to
release you. At a place like CDW (i.e. any towered airport that doesn't
have their own approach control), when you tell the tower you're ready
to go, the tower calls the remote approach facility and requests
permission to launch you. This is why the tower says "hold for
release". When approach tells tower to release you, tower clears you
for takeoff. The window of time in which the tower is allowed to
release you may be very small. At someplace like CDW, they've got to
find a gap in the TEB, MMU, and maybe even EWR traffic to fit you in.
Until they get you radar identified, they're tying up a big chunk of
airspace for you. That's why the tower guy was trying to hurry you
along.

All that being said, NEVER let anybody rush you. Nothing bad can happen
as long as your wheels are still on the taxiway. You did exactly the
right thing asking for clarification of something you weren't sure about
before moving onto the runway. The worst that could have happened if
you missed the window is the tower controller would have been annoyed
that he had to call approach back and ask for another release window,
and you might have been delayed a few minutes.

So to sum up: I had 1 VOR, 1 COM, and no backups in the plane for this trip.
And the COM was flaky toward the end. Methinks this plane is about to be
decommissioned from the flight line, because the owner refuses to put any
more money into it. It also just came out of 100 hour, so should (in theory)
be at its best operating capacity. I know I won't be trying any more trips
at night or IFR in it anytime soon, but I'm glad I had the chance to push
the boundaries a bit with the bare minimums for night IFR flight.

Pardon my pessimism, but I read the story as a disaster unfolding with a
lucky ending despite bad decision making. You were single pilot IFR, at
night, in deteriorating weather. You had no previous experience in this
environment. You had three equipment failures (flashlight, nav/com, and
adf), two of which you knew about before you left the ground yet decided
to depart anyway.

Actually, you had another equipment failure you knew about before you
took off: runway 4/22 was closed. You not only didn't have the LOC
approach available, but you were also down to one runway, substantially
shorter than the main one, with inferior lighting and terrain
obstructing one end.

Finally, your last remaining radio started to act up on you. What would
you have done if the problem was something in the electrical system and
the slowly decaying avionics were just the early symptoms? What if
instead of getting better, the last radio died too?

The most obvious immediate problem would have been that you would have
no way to talk to ATC (unless you carry a handheld radio). You would
have also had no way to navigate. Do you have a handheld GPS? It's
night and the weather is going down. Was visibility still good enough
to find your way home visually? You would also have no way to turn the
runway lights on at an uncontrolled airport.

What were you flying? A 172 with electric flaps? If so, you might not
have had enough power left to put the flaps down. 27 has 2900 feet
after the displaced threshold. Under normal conditions, that's not a
big deal. But can you handle that with no flaps, no landing light, at
night, no VASI, and wet pavement? Maybe your last remaining flashlight
went out too, so you can't even see the ASI?

The point is, no single one of the problems you encountered was bad
enough to be critical, but accidents are not usually caused by single
problems, they're caused by chains of events. Each one eats into the
number of options you've got left until you don't have any left at all
and you die. The key to avoiding this is to recognize the chain early
and do something to break it.

Your flashlight died. Do they sell flashlights in the pilot shop?
Could you have delayed your flight 10 minutes to run back into the FBO
and buy a new one? Why not just carry several? I've got about 3 or 4
in my flight bag.

Your radio died. At night, during the week, with marginal weather, the
FBO probably has a flightline full of airplanes sitting idle. Could you
have gone back in and told them to give you a different plane?

Your ADF died on the way into Stewart. Could you have found a mechanic
while you were on the ground to come take a look at it and make sure
nothing systemic was going on with the electrical system?

Your second radio started flaking out. Could you have turned around at
that point, gotten back on the ground at SWF, and sorted things out?
Maybe called the FBO and told them to send another plane up to get you?