Contests the end-all?

Old May 20th 10, 07:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Contests the end-all?

If you want to fly cross-country, you are already entering a race
against the sun and the weather. To fly far and fast, you have to do
it efficiently. You can only discover how efficient you are by flying
with other folks and a contest offers a great opportunity to test and
hone your skills.

If you just want to twirlybird and don't care about developing
thermalling or cross-country skills, don't go to contests.

Mike (Captain Slow) WA
Old May 20th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"noel.wade" wrote

I think if people considered basic contest-flying as a challenging
"Cross Country Workshop", it would be far less intimidating and far
more appealing.

I appreciate that point of view. I had suspected as much.

Good point about having to go off in a certain direction, or task. I can
see how that would teach you to deal with different circumstances.

It is hard to understand why there is not more soaring activity in the area
where I live. We are right at the base of the Appalachian Mountains, which
range from 3,500 feet to over 6,000 feet in this area. I often see signs of
standing waves in the clouds when we get a good blow, that go for miles. I
would think there are ample opportunities for ridge soaring. I would
suspect that landing out could be a bit tricky, because of a rarity of
really good flat unwooded places.

Nevertheless, I think I am going to break out and do something different,
and take up soaring. It should be right up my alley. I also want to build.
I will not be complete until I fly a plane that I built with my own hands.
Not a fiberglass plane, either. Wood. I love building with wood. I also
spend much time on the water with my family. There is a river-lake chain
that provides ample opportunity for seaplanes. Perhaps I should build an
amphibious seaplane-motorglider! I understand there are a few designs out
there, already. I was surprised to learn of that! Actually, I am seriously
considering just that plan. Considering the scarcity of towplanes to pull
me up, and the land out situations, and the lack of support systems for
gliders, a self launching ship makes a lot of sense. I can also see the
plane getting a lot more use if I could use it around the water.

So, this is your next assignment, group. Point me at amphibious -
seaplane - motorglider designs that can be built at home, or if you are not
able to meet every one of those qualifications, point me at designs that
come close in most ways - or in some ways. I always learn something from
looking at designs, it seems. Perhaps what you offer will help me narrow
the choices, or find ways to modify something out there, or, or...... well,
you get the picture.

Anyway, onwards. Keep the answers coming, everyone! I am enjoying hearing
your opinions and viewpoints, and am learning from your postings.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 20th 10, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On May 20, 11:33*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Jim,

snip

Final word on my contest philosophy - I go to races in order to fly, I
don't fly gliders in order to race. *The structure and challenge of
the contest environment enhances the pleasure of the flying by giving
it purpose - and if I do good, that's fun too.

Cheers,

Kirk
66

Exactly, I go to a contest because I can take a week off of work and
go someplace that has excellent flying conditions and fly 5 or 6 days
in a row. Plus I usually have a crew arranged to come get me so I can
be a bit less conservative in how I fly knowing that I have a specific
goal in mind and the retrieve is already arranged it it doesn't work
out.

Brian
HP16T

Old May 20th 10, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"Mike the Strike" wrote

If you want to fly cross-country, you are already entering a race
against the sun and the weather. To fly far and fast, you have to do
it efficiently. You can only discover how efficient you are by flying
with other folks and a contest offers a great opportunity to test and
hone your skills.

If you just want to twirlybird and don't care about developing
thermalling or cross-country skills, don't go to contests.

At the risk of being mean, you sound very much like one who puts down those
that don't join in on contests.

If you think not, re-read your post.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 21st 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Our club's chief flight instructor recently gave a safety talk where
he reminded us that learning to fly was an educational process that
should not stop at a Private pilot rating. The more you learn, the
harder you work at it, the better (and safer) you are going to be...so
go for your commercial rating... go for the instructors rating...work
on your cross country skills. If you follow this progression, flying
contests is the next logical step after learning to fly cross
country. A regional contest is like summer camp for adults with
gliders. It's fun. It's also challenging. If you didn't like
challenging yourself you wouldn't be flying around in an airplane
without an engine. You will see pilots fly tasks on days when you
wouldn't even come to the airport at home, and they make it around the
course. You will see pilots make things work for them in a glider
that you wouldn't think possible unless you saw it happen. There are
a few contest pilots out there to win, but most of us are there to
have fun, learn, and get better. So work on your cross country
skills, and go fly a regional contest. Then you can decide if you
want to do it again.

Old May 21st 10, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On May 20, 9:40*am, "Morgans" wrote:
As a student pilot, thinking more about gliders lately, I started reading
this group. *I can't help but notice that talk of contests seems to dominate
the subjects here.

I think I would enjoy gliders just for the fun of flying, and seeing what
you could do individually, and for the beauty of silent flight. *Is it so
necessary to fly in contests to have fun?

How many people here just fly gliders without flying contests?

I have entered contests, in a (much despited in this group) PW5,
flying against other PW5s and old gliders such as the Ka6. Mostly I
fly locally or short cross-countries in the PW5, or take friends
flying in a higher performance two seater such as a Janus or DG1000. I
also like to take students who are getting close to solo standard, or
post solo but not allowed to cross country yet, on longer soaring
flights that they don't usually get with an instructor (I'm not an
instructor).

The nice thing about contests is that they are a time and place where
people are expected to stretch themselves a little, try to go places
that you might not think are possible on the day and wouldn't normally
try. There are plenty of people around ready and willing to come and
get you from a paddock if you don't succeed and you won't be
criticized for landing out.

Old May 21st 10, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

As a student pilot, thinking more about gliders lately, I started reading
this group. I can't help but notice that talk of contests seems to dominate
the subjects here.

I think I would enjoy gliders just for the fun of flying, and seeing what
you could do individually, and for the beauty of silent flight. Is it so
necessary to fly in contests to have fun?

How many people here just fly gliders without flying contests?

Role-Call?

Fly mostly in contests -

Fly occasionally in contests -

Never fly in contests -

Where do you all stand? Curious, I guess.

I try to fly at least one regional a year and as many of our local (GTA)
races as I can get to. Racin' is my favorite flying.

I can fly alone anytime, and I frequently do. There are times when
nothing beats a long solo x-country. Sometimes, I just shag ropes all
day, enjoy living and breathing and being out in the world, and then
take a club ship for the sunset sled ride.

Here's how I see contests:

A chance to have a whole week dedicated to flying my glider with a bunch
of my best (and new best) friends. Guaranteed tows available, plenty of
folks around to crew if (when) I land out. I get to bore a bunch of
people with my stories and I get to hear some neat stories and learn a
bunch from everyone else (Hearing Jake Alspaugh tell his "head stuck in
the Libelle canopy" story is worth the price of admission).
Old May 21st 10, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_10_]

I have gotten to the point that contest and cross-country flying are
my main reasons for going out to the gliderport. If I fly locally it
is mostly to practice specific techniques.

The reasons I prefer contests (and X-C with friends):

The camaraderie
Learning new skills and honing existing ones
The sense of accomplishment that comes from going from A to B to C and
back - as fast as I can - on nothing but my own ingenuity
Occasionally winning against pilots whose skills and experience I
really respect - makes me feel like I accomplished something
The sheer beauty of the journey - how can flying to the Grand Canyon
and back not take your breath away?
All the hanger flying stories afterwards

9B
Old May 21st 10, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

wrote:

As a student pilot, thinking more about gliders lately, I started reading
this group. I can't help but notice that talk of contests seems to dominate
the subjects here.

I think I would enjoy gliders just for the fun of flying, and seeing what
you could do individually, and for the beauty of silent flight. Is it so
necessary to fly in contests to have fun?

How many people here just fly gliders without flying contests?

Role-Call?

Fly mostly in contests -

Fly occasionally in contests -

Never fly in contests -

Where do you all stand? Curious, I guess.

Writing as a(n apparently genetically) predisposed flying freak utterly
enamored of just about all forms of airborne flight, but lacking
sufficient time and means to indulge in all, I luckily bumbled into
soaring post-school,~'73, and have never gotten bored with it for the
myriad challenges (and rewards) mentally-enabled, solar-powered flight
contains.

As you and others have noted, contests are (but) a part. My 'contest
phase' lasted less than 5 years (during which time I participated in a
few 'fun' (i.e. unsanctioned by the SSA) contests. Enjoyed 'em, too, but
found it more enjoyable to compete against myself simply doing XC every
opportunity...weekends, weeklong camps, etc. I got in more soaring that
way...worked for me.

In my view sport flying afflicts such a tiny fraction of the population
(further culled by economics, family, and life in general), that we
should celebrate and encourage ALL of it. Internecine squabbling may
offer a future to some activities, but furtherance of sport flying - and
soaring sure qualifies! - sure isn't one. Some of the best writing to be
found in "Soaring" magazine in years past has been write-ups of national
and international contests...while some of the blandest has included
pro-forma contest synopses primarily of interest to participants and
family/friends/followers of same. (But it's all good, compared to
nothing at all.) Celebrate and savor the best; ignore the rest...and
contribute your own best, since - except for staff-generated content -
the magazine is 100% member-/volunteer-generated.

Writing aside, anyone ahead of you on soaring's grand learning curve is
a potential source of increased personal enjoyment, though not all will
have similar personal druthers. You'll even encounter a (very) *few*
buttheads along the way (though at a far lower percentage than in the
populution in general, IMHO); I've always found 'em easy to ignore.

So contests and contest participation are no more 'required' than is any
other form of participation or enjoyment in the sport...but I suspect
that lasting interest tends to spring from interests with lasting
challenges/variability, etc.

Bob W.
Old May 21st 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

"Bob Whelan" wrote

[...]

You bring up good points. Promoting sport flying and even more, _enjoying_
sport flying is where it is at. I have taken to heart the fact that
participation in contests is important for the gain of enjoying the
fraternity aspect, and as a bonus for some, trying to win. (poorly
organized thought, but I suppose you know what I am trying to say)

Anyway, if I do get involved in the sport, I suppose I will be the cross
country flyer who sometimes goes up to enjoy going up for the beauty, and
then will try to throw in some type of contest occasionally. But then, who
knows how fate will twist and turn. I'll try to keep an open mind, and be
kind to all I meet. g
--
Jim in NC

Participating in Contests MickiMinner Soaring 16 October 2nd 08 02:26 AM
GPS interference and contests Bill Daniels Soaring 25 January 25th 08 05:57 AM
sectionals for contests BB Soaring 17 January 23rd 07 06:54 PM
SSA Web Page - Contests Bob Soaring 8 August 23rd 04 02:31 AM
ideas for fun contests at fly-ins Hoot Piloting 9 April 30th 04 10:58 AM