SSA Convention

Old January 30th 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default SSA Convention

On Jan 30, 3:46*am, delboy wrote:
On 30 Jan, 07:24, Deadstickdon wrote:

On Jan 30, 1:29*am, delboy wrote:

On 30 Jan, 05:19, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Many inbound and departing flights were canceled today due to the ice
storm. *

Global Warming?

Nope. Climate Change.

Don

They are supposed to be the same thing!

Derek

El Nino

Mike
Old January 30th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 22:29:42 -0800, delboy wrote:

On 30 Jan, 05:19, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Many inbound and departing flights were canceled today due to the ice
storm.

Global Warming?

No. Weather.

Remember: climate is what you expect but weather is what you get.

Definitions
===========
climate: the prevailing or average weather conditions of a place,
as determined by the temperature and meteorological changes
over a period of years

weather: the general condition of the atmosphere at a particular
time and place, with regard to the temperature, moisture,
cloudiness, etc.

Note: climate != weather

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old January 30th 10, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack Hamilton

On Jan 30, 1:29*am, delboy wrote:

On 30 Jan, 05:19, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Many inbound and departing flights were canceled today due to the ice
storm. *

Global Warming?

Nope. Climate Change.

Don

They are supposed to be the same thing!

Nope. Some places may get warmer, some places may get colder.

It's only the average temperature worldwide that is expected to
increase. The temperature at any give location may go up, go down, or
remain the same, and precipitation may go up or down or remain the same.

Old January 31st 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy[_2_]

And how is attendance?

The attendance appeared to be pretty low. The ice storm was pretty bad
and
the roads were terrible. There were a few people that I was really
wanting
to see, but they were not able to fly in because the LIT airport was
closed.
The convention hall was very large and the only time there was a crowd
was when a ticket was raffled off at the Craggy Aero display.

Randy

http://talihinasoaring.com/
Old January 31st 10, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack Hamilton

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:10:41 -0800 (PST), Randy
wrote:

And how is attendance?

The attendance appeared to be pretty low. The ice storm was pretty bad
and
the roads were terrible. There were a few people that I was really
wanting
to see, but they were not able to fly in because the LIT airport was
closed.
The convention hall was very large and the only time there was a crowd
was when a ticket was raffled off at the Craggy Aero display.

I asked because an editorial in Soaring said the SSA they will decide to
it's low.

Perhaps they will take the weather into account when the make the
decision, or perhaps they took a financial hit that will make it
impossible.

Old January 31st 10, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

What is the excuse for not having the convention in the Northeast
again?
Old January 31st 10, 02:47 AM
JR Brooks JR Brooks is offline
Junior Member

Location: Central Arkansas

Well, I'm glad you guys could turn the convention thread into a manbearpig debate.

The fact is, this is typical Arkansas winter weather. This one was not near as bad as the ice storm we had at this time last year. I've lived in and near Little Rock for 50 years. This is nothing unusual.

I'm just sorry it put a damper on the convention. Talk about bad timing.

John
Old January 31st 10, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Climate, weather?
How about the top USA OLC club hosts it?
May the Schwartz be with you,
Jim

Old January 31st 10, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob

On Jan 30, 7:34*pm, "
wrote:
What is the excuse for not having the convention in the Northeast
again?

I just got back to Phoenix from the convention. Handily, my flight
was this afternoon, as airport was closed / totally iced in
yesterday. FULL flight today. A good number of VERY good talks. The
only problem was that, as at most conventions, there were 3
presentations at the same time all day, and sometimes there would be 2
you wanted to be attend at the same time. Ah, choices in life.

Really enjoyed seeing old / good friends. The Taurus 41:1 2 place
side by side electric self launcher really caught my eye... for way
less than half cost of Antares, but less glide, too. Gonna get a test
flight with Roger Mudd next month in that one. Some orders for
various gliders, and a winch, were taken, and I'm sure lots of
instruments, etc... so for some folks at least, the event was a
sucess. I often watched money being exchanged for goodies at the SSA
booth. I heard from several folks that the ARCUS that was there was
sold, and several others were seriously considering purchasing one. $$
$$$ Bob Carlton and Mark Mocho displayed a pretty neat jet powered
twin self launcher for a pretty reasonable price.

Global warming / climate change has been expected to, and is,
producing weather extremes. Very basic physics makes it easy to
understand. We got to see that in Little Rock. While at the same
time down under is roasting / dessicating.

There is an on-going discussion within SSA about future conventions.
Spent an hour with Bill Daniels this morning talking about the many
possibilities / pros / cons / options. No question that the weather,
current financial climate, and I'm sure other things, affected the
attendance some this year.

the editor. He attended, and is working at improving the
magazine, as has been seen in recent issues, with more to come. One
must remember, he's the editor, not an author. Hopefully someone in
our community will submit an article on the event. Perhaps several of
us might collaborate on an article and some photos.

19

Old January 31st 10, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Next full convention will be Reno 2012. Odd years may/will be a
symposia, working groups, committee tracks, with awards, board(s)
meeting(s), etc. In 2011, this will likely be in the northeast. I
staffed the collegiate, youth, Kolstad booth with Ralph K. We got
some work done. Leadership torch was passed in a couple of instances.
I had a small SSA by-law passed by the board, thank you.

Visited with many soaring friends. Two years is too long.

Frank Whiteley