Contests the end-all?

Old May 19th 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgans[_2_]

Default Contests the end-all?

As a student pilot, thinking more about gliders lately, I started reading
this group. I can't help but notice that talk of contests seems to dominate
the subjects here.

I think I would enjoy gliders just for the fun of flying, and seeing what
you could do individually, and for the beauty of silent flight. Is it so
necessary to fly in contests to have fun?

How many people here just fly gliders without flying contests?

Role-Call?

Fly mostly in contests -

Fly occasionally in contests -

Never fly in contests -

Where do you all stand? Curious, I guess.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 19th 10, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

On May 19, 4:40*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
As a student pilot, thinking more about gliders lately, I started reading
this group. *I can't help but notice that talk of contests seems to dominate
the subjects here.

I think I would enjoy gliders just for the fun of flying, and seeing what
you could do individually, and for the beauty of silent flight. *Is it so
necessary to fly in contests to have fun?

How many people here just fly gliders without flying contests?

Role-Call?

Fly mostly in contests -

Fly occasionally in contests -

Never fly in contests -

Where do you all stand? *Curious, I guess.
--
Jim in NC

I've never flown in a contest and I absolutely love to fly my
sailplane. I can't get enough of soaring. That's not to say I wouldn't
enter a contest someday. The point is, you definitely don't need to
compete to have a tremendous amount of fun. X-Country soaring presents
a lot of challenges and rewards all by itself. Whether it just be
personal goals, badges or OLC, there's plenty of soaring to do outside
of organized competitions.
Old May 19th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On May 19, 5:40*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
As a student pilot, thinking more about gliders lately, I started reading
this group. *I can't help but notice that talk of contests seems to dominate
the subjects here.

I think I would enjoy gliders just for the fun of flying, and seeing what
you could do individually, and for the beauty of silent flight. *Is it so
necessary to fly in contests to have fun?

How many people here just fly gliders without flying contests?

Role-Call?

Fly mostly in contests -

Fly occasionally in contests -

Never fly in contests -

Where do you all stand? *Curious, I guess.
--
Jim in NC

I fly occasionally, about once a year (all the budget or wife will
stand for now).
At both my current and previous club there was a fair contingent of
contest
pilots, some of whom did have or do have fair success at them (one old
buddy
won several days at the last Worlds). At both clubs I'd say about
20-25% of
the pilots do or did fly in contests. Most of the pilots who fly
cross country
wind up at contests sooner or later.

However, at a nearby club most (if not all) of the pilots fly cross
country, but
none that I know of fly in contests (other than OLC).

When I started out (at a commercial operation), only the guy in charge
had
contest experience (he won some contests in the days when a 1-23 was a
hot ship). Mostly I heard grumbling that the cost of a competitive
ship was
out of reach -- that contest flying had become a money spending
contest.
Most pilots in the bunch aspired to cross country flying, but none
did.

After a few years off I came back at a large club. There were a
number of
accomplished contest pilots there, plus club ships were available for
cross country flying. Also, Sports Class got started by then, which
made contest flying much more affordable. The final nail in the
coffin came
when our club hosted a regional contest. Watching 50 gliders get
launched
in 40 minutes hooked my interest for good.

Not long after that I got transferred elsewhere, and the new club
didn't have
any cross country ships in its inventory. After about 8-10 years we
had
an L33 available, and I started flying cross country in it. Then, we
had a 304
available as well. I've taken both ships to contests. The
experience is
well worth the effort.

-- Matt
Old May 20th 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On May 19, 3:40*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
As a student pilot, thinking more about gliders lately, I started reading
this group. *I can't help but notice that talk of contests seems to dominate
the subjects here.

I think I would enjoy gliders just for the fun of flying, and seeing what
you could do individually, and for the beauty of silent flight. *Is it so
necessary to fly in contests to have fun?

How many people here just fly gliders without flying contests?

Role-Call?

Fly mostly in contests -

Fly occasionally in contests -

Never fly in contests -

Where do you all stand? *Curious, I guess.
--
Jim in NC

Famous Last Words

“Contests are great fun. Bigger contest are greater fun. Doing well
is still greater fun. The key to success is really surprisingly
simple. A good ship, adequate instruments, consistency and
concentration are all you need to start playing the game effectively.
Experience, and the resulting growth of judgment, make each contest
more enjoyable and usually more successful. One caution: it’s easy to
get hooked!” George Moffat – Winning on the Wind
Old May 20th 10, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On May 19, 3:40*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
As a student pilot, thinking more about gliders lately, I started reading
this group. *I can't help but notice that talk of contests seems to dominate
the subjects here.

I think I would enjoy gliders just for the fun of flying, and seeing what
you could do individually, and for the beauty of silent flight. *Is it so
necessary to fly in contests to have fun?

How many people here just fly gliders without flying contests?

Role-Call?

Fly mostly in contests -

Fly occasionally in contests -

Never fly in contests -

Where do you all stand? *Curious, I guess.
--
Jim in NC

I don't fly contests but I give my full support to those who do. It's
just another aspect of a sport that has many facets. I enjoy reading
about it. The folks who write here about contest flying are just
hooked on their favorite activity - they're not putting anyone down.
Those who say, "try it and you'll get hooked" are right - I've seen it
happen. Contest flying is also potentially a great source of
publicity for the sport - the international Gran Prix circuit is an
example of that.

The neat thing about glider racing is that the cost of entry, while
not cheap, is low compared to other air sports like the unlimited air
racing at Reno or aerobatic competitions.

As you are a student pilot, contests are probably a few years away but
you can take it that there's plenty to this sport and no matter how
long you participate, there'll still be challenges - contests are just
one of them.
Old May 20th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I haven't flown in any contests but in the last year have gotten a lot
more interested in them. I think being around other contest pilots
has helped, and I've had a couple other soaring friends start to get
the bug too. I've been flying cross country for a few years now and
am slowly creeping towards the point where my glider can be ready at
any time to go on the road. The cost of entry does not have to be
high thanks to the Sports Class. The ultimate, I think, is to try to
find a 1-26 and fly the 1-26 contest. Low cost of entry and you are
on an even playing field with the other gliders. Not to mention, they
have a lot of fun!

So next summer I'm planning to fly the Cherokee in the Vintage Contest
in Lawrenceville, IL in June. And I'm working on getting something
with a little more performance to take out to Logan for Region 9
North. But I think I'm going to try to become a regular at one of the
local Regional Sports Class contests. I'll probably mainly fly the
Cherokee because its fun. Or maybe I'll start to save my pennies so
after a bunch of years I can buy something that has a chance at the
Regionals. Or maybe just for the hell of it someday I'll enter the
Sports Class Nationals in the Cherokee since I'm pretty sure a
Cherokee has never flown in a Nationals.

The great thing about Soaring is that there is always a way to
challenge yourself and stay interested. First I just wanted to solo,
then was pretty satisfied with giving rides and local soaring. Then
it was cross country. Silver Badge, then Gold Fever. Now Diamonds,
1000K Diplome, Barringer Trophy, etc. etc. And of course I can always
work on respectable performances at contests, and sending students for
checkrides, and vintage restorations in the winter, and getting my
students out cross country, and who knows what else. Like I said, the
opportunities are endless.
Old May 20th 10, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

I am entering my fourth season of Soaring. I was a student for most
of my first season. I learned a ton about cross-country flying (and
actually started doing it) in my second season (buying a DG-300 part-
way through the season). In my third season I flew at 1 Regional,
helped out at a National Championship, and flew in a small 3-day
contest for newbies. This year I'll be flying at 2 Regionals _and_ a
3-day contest!

I have one BIG problem with contests: Their name. People hear the
word "Contest" and they start thinking that its this high-stakes cut-
throat NASCAR-like atmosphere (and the legends surrounding great
contest pilots do nothing to reduce this impression). I've had many
glider-guiders tell me that they like cross-country flying but don't
want to risk their aircraft and don't want to engage in stiff
competition against their fellow pilots.

That impression of Contests is totally wrong - at least on a Regional
level! Contests are much more akin to a weeklong cross-country camp
where you live and breathe soaring. The big difference is that you're
given very specific goals every day, you can't just go fly to whatever
corner of the sky looks nicest. You learn a TON when you fly in a
contest, you meet really interesting people, and I've never had
trouble getting good advice and support from my fellow pilots.

I think if people considered basic contest-flying as a challenging
"Cross Country Workshop", it would be far less intimidating and far
more appealing.

--Noel

Old May 20th 10, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack Hamilton

On Wed, 19 May 2010 17:40:02 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

As a student pilot, thinking more about gliders lately, I started reading
this group. I can't help but notice that talk of contests seems to dominate
the subjects here.

I think I would enjoy gliders just for the fun of flying, and seeing what
you could do individually, and for the beauty of silent flight. Is it so
necessary to fly in contests to have fun?

How many people here just fly gliders without flying contests?

I'm also a student (a very slow student), at a gliderport which has
frequent races (Williams). I think having the racers around is a plus:

- There are people around to encourage me and tell me tales of their
learning process.

- I get to see many different kinds of gliders.

- They (both the gliderport operators and the glider pilots) put
together various kinds of education - web pages, seminars, talks - about
various aspects of gliding/soaring that I will someday need to know, if
I ever learn how to use a rudder.

- They bring income to the gliderport, so it can stay in business and
pay its employees. I don't want my instructor to be worrying about how
he is going to pay for his next meal when he should be worrying about
how I am going to mess up next time.

I can't say that contesting appeals to me, but who knows, maybe it will
someday.

There's a similar situation in amateur radio, which has a lot of
contests. Sometimes it seems like too much print space is devoted to
contests, but I can just skip over it, and I have to admit that
contesters are responsible for many technological advances - better
antennas, better encoding mechanisms, propagation studies, etc.
Old May 20th 10, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On May 19, 6:45*pm, "noel.wade" wrote:
I think if people considered basic contest-flying as a challenging
"Cross Country Workshop", it would be far less intimidating and far
more appealing.

--Noel

P.S. There's also nothing wrong with just flying Cross-Country for
fun... Had to clarify that.
Old May 20th 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On May 19, 2:40*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
As a student pilot, thinking more about gliders lately, I started reading
this group. *I can't help but notice that talk of contests seems to dominate
the subjects here.

I think I would enjoy gliders just for the fun of flying, and seeing what
you could do individually, and for the beauty of silent flight. *Is it so
necessary to fly in contests to have fun?

How many people here just fly gliders without flying contests?

Role-Call?

Fly mostly in contests -

Fly occasionally in contests -

Never fly in contests -

Where do you all stand? *Curious, I guess.
--
Jim in NC

I haven't flown in a contest.....yet. I likely will some day. For
now, I fly XC for fun.
I upload my flights to the OLC, but that's not like a 'live' contest.

Participating in Contests MickiMinner Soaring 16 October 2nd 08 02:26 AM
GPS interference and contests Bill Daniels Soaring 25 January 25th 08 06:57 AM
sectionals for contests BB Soaring 17 January 23rd 07 07:54 PM
SSA Web Page - Contests Bob Soaring 8 August 23rd 04 02:31 AM
ideas for fun contests at fly-ins Hoot Piloting 9 April 30th 04 10:58 AM